A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Milk Kefir Starter  (Read 2440 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Milk Kefir Starter
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:40:16 AM »
The milk kefir grains were sitting on the kitchen counter since Reply 76 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34785.msg437481#msg437481 in the same milk.  I looked at the milk kefir grains the other day and after rinsing them some they looked like the photo.  The milk kefir grains aren't as plumb as they once were and now are smaller.

Since I haven't played around with milk kefir in a pizza dough for a long while, and since the milk kefir seemed to stay good for such a long while in the same milk, thought they should tried to be revived again.  The last couple of days they are being fed 2% milk.  Might get some raw milk to feed them.  BTW, think that is amazing that the milk kefir grains probably still are good after that long time.

Have been thinking about how to  use the milk kefir in pizza dough again.  Was thinking along the lines of making a kefir starter.  Any ideas about that?  Came across this article about using kefir as a sourdough starter. 

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/milk-kefir/how-to-use-kefir-as-sourdough/ 

Another article about 7 kefir benefits and Nutrition Facts.

https://draxe.com/kefir-benefits/ 

Norma

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
Re: Milk Kefir Starter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:21:53 PM »
Norma......been thinking about you! Feeling better??
Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:35:01 AM »
Norma......been thinking about you! Feeling better??

CaptBob,

Thanks for thinking about me.  I feel a little bit better, but not where I think the healing process should be.  A nurse practitioner came to see me at home Thursday.  She said that it is a long healing process for the surgery that was done.  She also said I am at high risk for a hernia because of the abdominal incision.  If I do much of anything my insides hurt.  I can walk so will work on getting stronger.  I asked the nurse practitioner how long before I can get back to work.  She said it will probably take 6 more weeks of healing before I will know.  I get really weak and dizzy fast.  I was over at Root's on Tuesday to pay the rent and to visit with standholders and had to sleep for a long while after getting home.  The nurse said that is normal when healing.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »
Still working on feeding the milk kefir grains.  They are getting more plump.

Had some of the Ischia starter that hadn't been used or fed since the Caputo Cup in Jan. of 2016. Was trying to revive it, but is wasn't doing well. Gave it a little of the milk kefir instead of water and it smells great and now is rising nicely. Ischia/milk kefir starter...lol  Wish the pH meter was at home to take the pH of the Ischia/milk kefir starter. Fed the Ischia starter 2 times with a little milk kefir. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »
The hybrid Ishcia/milk kefir starter seems to act differently than the regular Ischia starter.  After it is fed and rises it doesn't fall, even if not fed for a day.  The fermenting bubbles look different.  They seem to be smaller.  The hybrid starter does smell like the Ischia starter

Mixed a dough with the hybrid Ischia/milk kefir starter last evening.  The dough needed a bunch of stretches and folds.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »
I had wanted to control temperature ferment the hybrid Ischia/milk kefir dough.  Since I didn't know when the bake could be, it was cold fermented until last night.  That was a cold ferment of 3 days.  I didn't think the dough would ferment much, if any, because of using a starter and a fridge ferment.  The dough fermented a little while in the fridge.  The dough was left at room temperature last evening for about 3 hrs.  The room temperature was about 70 degrees F.  Since I saw the dough would ferment more at room temperature, it was put back into the fridge.  I am not sure if the dough is going to be baked today or not.  I found it interesting that the dough is starting to speckle at 3 days while in the fridge. 

The last photo is of the dough this morning.  With a little bit of "pizza dust" maybe the hybrid Ischia/milk kefir dough will turn into a decent pizza.   :-D  The dough smell like vanilla.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:40:13 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »
The hybrid Ischia/milk kefir turned out good.  The dough went along for a ride to do a couple of errands and then went into the heated cabinet for an hour, until the oven heated up.  The dough opened very easily and had nice bubbles of fermentation in the dough skin.  The cheese was the frozen cheddar that was frozen and was very fine since it tried to be shreeded when it was frozen a few weeks ago.  The sauce also was frozen and I put too much water in the sauce to try and unfreeze it.  I wasn't going to thaw out more sauce because there was enough for 2 pizzas. 

The pizza was dressed with cheddar first, that a spiral swirl of sauce, some grated Grana Padano, another layer of cheddar and then cut basil after the bake.

The pizza was very crispy on the bottom crust but nice and moist in the rim crust.  The bottom of the pizza looks darker than I usually like, but it didn't taste burnt at all.  The pizza even stayed crispy after the bake.  I like this pizza better than the normal pizzas that are made at market.  When some slices were taken outside the bottoms crusts didn't look as dark as they did inside.  Only the one overhead light was on at market today.

I guess the “pizza dust” helped this pizza be okay.   8)

I got upset when I got to market today.  >:(  There was a bucket of water in the one three bay sink and the water was slimy.  Someone must have used my broom and it was filthy dirty.  The thing that took the cake was someone must have put their food in the deli case and when I looked at it there was mold on the fried veggies.  :o I am not sure if someone fooled around with the oven dial either, but I don't normally have that high of an oven temperature.

If that dough formula would work again with the natural starter, it will be good to know it can stay cold fermented for awhile and then taken out of the fridge to ferment enough to make a pizza.

Dough was mixed in the Kitchen Aid mixer.

Video of Luis cutting the hybrid starter NY style pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
Norma

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
Looks really good, Norma.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:15:18 PM »
Looks really good, Norma.

Thanks Jon in Albany!

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »
Wow, I think that looks just amazing!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
Wow, I think that looks just amazing!

Thanks Bill!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 06:22:21 AM »
Decided to do two pH tests to see what the approximate pH's were since the hybrid Ischia/milk kefir starter doesn't rise then fall.  It stays risen.  The first pH test was after it sat for one day and the second pH test was right after it rose.  Does anyone know why the Ischia/milk kefir starter doesn't fall, or what other tests can be done on it?  Also wonder why the Ischia/milk kefir starter still smells exactly like an Ischia starter.  I would have thought the smell would have changed since it is a hybrid.  Wonder why the smell doesn't change.  :-\ The hybrid starter gets fed once a day while sitting out.  It is fed KABF.  The flour that was used to make the pizza baked at market was unbleached Occident flour.

Eventually am going to try to make only a milk kefir starter.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
Been feeding the hybrid Ischia/milk kefir starter more water and less flour.  Have been trying to find why the starter doesn't rise then fall.  The starter hadn't been fed for almost 2 days and the pH shows that the hybrid starter is less acidic then when it was being fed less water and more flour.  It also still smells like the Ischia starter.  I would have thought the hybrid starter would have been more acidic since it wasn't fed for a longer period of time.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »
Hybrid Ischia/milk kefir pizza.  The only difference this time was the hydration was lowered a little.  Took the pH to see how much difference it was from a yeasted Joe Beddia's dough.

Joe Beddia's recipe for his sauce from Jersey Fresh crushed tomatoes was use and also Saputo Whole Milk Mozzarella.

Video of Luis cutting the pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 10:25:26 PM »
Milk kefir grains didn't look like they were growing well or making kefir fast enough.  Purchased some raw milk at a local farm Wednesday.  Will wait and see what happens before trying a milk kefir starter.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
Am trying a starter out of milk kefir.  Photos show the process.  Started last evening and the last photo is from this morning.  Smells like buttermilk.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 09:53:09 PM »
The milk kefir starter looks to be active enough now.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 05:49:16 PM »
Mixed a milk kefir only starter dough this morning.  There needed to be stretches and folds after the mix.  Used 6.5% milk kefir preferment for the dough.  The dough in bulk is being controlled temperature fermented.  Will divide later on tonight and then more controlled temperature fermenting.  The dough smells great so far.  Will bake sometime tomorrow.

If the milk kefir starter doughs make good pizzas will post the results on the NY thread.  Don't think anyone is interested in milk kefir starter pizzas, but what the heck I always like to test things.   :-D

Norma