A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pastry style dough/Jioio's pizza  (Read 6917 times)

Offline Zorboz

• I Love Pizza!
Pastry style dough/Jioio's pizza
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
My favorite hometown pizza place is Jioio's. Here's an article about it: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/greensburg-pa-finally-getting-sweet-on-jioios-pizza.html

It's a very thin, flaky, sweet crust with a sweet sauce. Has anyone had any luck replicating it? I feel like I have gotten close with the recipe below, but it seems like it's missing something:

I determined you have to use lard to get it close. You also have to roll out the dough in a manner similar to how you would make puff pastry.
Dough:
15 oz AP flour
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp salt
5 oz chilled and cubed lard
1 and 1/8 cups ice water

combine flour, salt, sugar. cut the lard into the mixture until it forms pea size crumbles. Add water and form into a ball. place onto floured surface and using a rolling pin flatten into a rectangle. fold top down one third, and bottom up one third, then fold the two other sides in. then roll this out into a rectangle and repeat 3 times. wrap in plastic wrap after the third turn and place in fridge for an hour. preheat oven to 475 degrees. line a 12x18 baking sheet with parchment. roll dough into a large rectangle and place in baking sheet (stretch dough up the sides of the sheet if you didn't roll it large enough.) place a smaller baking sheet on top to weigh it down and bake for 8 minutes. remove from oven add sauce, mozz cheese, romano cheese, and provolone cheese, then pepperoni (or whatever you want). Bake for an additional 12-15 min.

sauce: 3 cloves garlic
28 oz crushed tomatoes
salt, pepper to taste
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp oregano
1 yellow onion
1 sprig basil

simmer garlic for 5 minutes in olive oil, add crushed tomatoes, onion, basil, and spices, simmer for an hour, remove onion and basil stems.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Pastry style dough/Jioio's pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »
Zorboz;
You say it's missing something, are you talking about the crust or the whole pizza? The $64,000.00 question is....... what is it missing?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Zorboz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:38:59 AM »
I think it's the sauce that doesn't taste exactly the same. It didn't taste as sweet as Jioio's, even with 4 tbsp. of sugar. I may try adding honey next time.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 02:35:37 PM »
Use the lightest colored honey you can find. The best one for your application would be "water white" the lightest grade of honey. It will provide all the sweetness but without the characteristic honey flavor. Lacking that, see if you can find high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) it is essentially the same thing but a LOT cheaper. I've found HFCS at our local supermarket from time to time. Sucrose (table sugar) has a sweetness rating of 100 while fructose has a  relative sweetness rating of 110. You can get the same sweetness from sucrose as you can from honey or HFCS but you will need to use 10% more.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress