A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why is this happening to the bottom of my Pan Pizza?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
Re: Why is this happening to the bottom of my Pan Pizza?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 06:03:03 PM »
Shortening does have a way of working as a glue of sorts =)  That looks like a real nice pie.  I think jonas has a good suggestion of opening the dough on flour before transferring it to the greased pan.  Worth a shot.  I'll probably do one here soon myself and will report back.  This is a good problem to resolve!   :chef:

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 07:29:28 PM »

I'll probably do one here soon myself and will report back.  This is a good problem to resolve!   :chef:

Cool. I'd like to see those results.

Offline petef

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »
Shortening does have a way of working as a glue of sorts =)  That looks like a real nice pie.  I think jonas has a good suggestion of opening the dough on flour before transferring it to the greased pan.  Worth a shot.  I'll probably do one here soon myself and will report back.  This is a good problem to resolve!   :chef:

I agree, and that's how i do my pan pizza. I use a roller on a very lightly floured surface to stretch the dough out larger than the pan. I transfer the dough to the to the generously oiled pan and try to get the dough to climb the edges of the pan about 1 inch. It always springs back somewhat but that's my starting point. I cover it with plastic wrap and let is proof for 1 to 2 hours.

--pete--

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »
Looks like it came out well!!  :)
the proof is in the pizza

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
Looks like it came out well!!  :)
Would you like a slice? The reheat was arguably better. Catch the red eye up here tonight and it's yours. 

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
Would you like a slice? The reheat was arguably better. Catch the red eye up here tonight and it's yours.

I'll probably need two  :-D
the proof is in the pizza

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 10:53:48 PM »
I made a bacon and goat cheese pan pizza the other night. I used the same work flow as I did in the first post with the exception of stretching the dough on the counter with flour before moving to the pan like Jsarus (Jonas?) does:

13.5 oz KABF
58% ice water (7.83 oz)
3% salt (0.405 oz)
3% sugar (0.405 oz)
3% evoo (0.405 oz)
1% idy (0.135 oz)

FDT target of 75-80
------------
Mixed in food processor and finished with a FDT of 75.
Balled and put oiled dough ball in container and into the fridge for 26 hours.
RT in container for 3 hours, then removed and lightly stretched on counter with a rolling pin and light bench flour - stretched dough to about 10.5" disk approx .4" thick then put the slab in the 14" (really 13.25") pan with 1/4 cup peanut oil to rise for another 3 hours.
Topped and placed the pan on the Lodge cast iron pizza pan which had been preheating in oven on the 2nd to bottom rack at 450 for 2 hours by then.
Baked for 13min total w/ a 180 spin 8min in (I anticipated a 16min bake).

I actually made one a few days prior to this one where instead of pulling the container out of the fridge and letting it RT for 3 hours I rolled it out cold directly from the fridge and let it do all the RT in the pan for 4 hours total. The result was a dough those rose, but it had a frail structure and it sank in some right when I put the sauce on it. It also didn't spring as much as this one and the chicken bacon ranch one here, though the 425 bake probably didn't help there either.

I think this current work flow of doing the long CF first is going to work out great. Basically it's 24-27 hours in the fridge in a container and then 6 hours of total RT; 3 hours in the container, a degassing/stretch, and then 3 hours in the pan and then top and bake.
I suppose that stretch I do to prep for the pan after the 3 hour container RT is the equivalent of a punch-down, and in any case at the end of the 3 hour pan rise the dough has risen from the 10.5" disk to touching the sides of the 13.25" pan and is puffy yet stable enough to support the sauce and a decent amount of toppings. (Does a punch-down/additional rise make for a sturdier dough?) And it bakes up supper puffy and light like a glazed donut which is rad and what I want.

450 on the 2nd to bottom rack is where it's at for my setup.
The bottom got a little browner than I wanted, but I'm not complaining because although it's dark brown it's not burnt, nor did it taste burnt, but actually it tasted like a well browned and toasted piece of buttered toast. The only issue with this much browning is that if you were to reheat a slice in the oven the bottom always browns further, and there's not much margin here for that before it becomes burnt.
The peanut oil is hooking up a way better crust all around than the shortening ever did. Even the blonder spots are crunchy and buttery, and that was never the case with shortening, which left me with soft white spots. I'm like two pizzas away tops at having this thing dialed.
This one baked in 13min total. By the end of the 13min the bottom was well browned as you can see, and while the cheese was well melted it also looked like it could withstand a minute of broiler action if it had to. So next time I will do exactly what I did here, but bake for 10min, spin 6min in, and turn on broiler at the 10min mark for one minute to finish off the top for an 11min total bake and I bet that would do it. And I'll focus on more even topping placement.  Maybe next week.
And I had a month or more old NY ball I found in the freezer, so I thawed/proofed it at RT for about 16 hours then I tore it apart into little golf balls, dropped them in the deep fryer and when they cooled I rolled them in maple frosting and sprinkled with cinnamon. Pretty bomb dessert.

Offline petef

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 07:20:11 AM »
Looks great!  Nice bottom browning too.
Persistence pays. :)

--pete--

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
csnack,

I think you nailed it. Great job.

Peter

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »
But I'm sick to death of pizza now though. I ran myself into the ground with it and now I'm pizza fatigued. I can't even tell if it's good anymore. I don't even remember what I used to eat. What else is there to eat? 😧