A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Finally starting my build!  (Read 8998 times)

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
Finally starting my build!
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »
Thanks so much for the support this site gives!  You guys have been ridiculously helpful!  I'm cheap (mainly cause I play banjo for a living) and am determined to keep my oven "low cost."  I've been saving bricks, fire bricks, and some metal for the roof for a while and think I'm almost there.  The plan is for a 42" Pompeii.  Hopefully this will be a good start!   

So far for the free stuff I have about 350 new modular bricks, 180 whole fire bricks and quite a few halves, a few pieces of tin and I saw a house being torn down last week and asked about the stainless steel chimney topper.  The person said, "usually, they get torn apart when the chimney falls."  This one shot off of the chimney about 3 feet from when the chimney hit the ground in perfect condition.  She had never seen one not get torn up and it was mine if I wanted it. 

There's a rough drawing of what I think I want my finished product to look like.  What I'm puzzled about right now is, what does the size of the foundation need to be to attach modular bricks to the cinder blocks so that I can continue the brick above the hearth (that I want to be concrete going all around the oven to create a shelf) while giving enough room for the steel studs, backer board, and oven... 

Anyway thanks in advance for any suggestions!

John

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Finally starting my build!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »
good luck, looking forward to following your project!

I see you live in greenville nc, I'm pretty certain I'd be dead if I lived there given the proximity of B's and Ayden Skylight. My last project before retiring last august was in the triangle and I regret not taking a day off to cross both off my bucket list of bbq joints.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »
There's a rough drawing of what I think I want my finished product to look like.  What I'm puzzled about right now is, what does the size of the foundation need to be to attach modular bricks to the cinder blocks so that I can continue the brick above the hearth (that I want to be concrete going all around the oven to create a shelf) while giving enough room for the steel studs, backer board, and oven... 

Anyway thanks in advance for any suggestions!

John

So, you want to clad the cinderblock base with brick, and continue the brick courses up "through" the upper slab (that the dome rests on) all the way to the roofline? I think you don't want the dome slab poking through the walls under the dome; it's nothing but a water catcher that will wick water through to your dome/insulation. You can always add a beer holder later.   :)

You need to make a layout of your dome, similar to this:

42" ID + 4.5+4.5 (dome thickness two sides) + 2x???(planned insulation thickness two sides) + 4"+4" (studs and cement board two sides) = minimum width of your cinderblock base (Round up to the next half-block, it will give you a little more dead space outside the insulation.)

I googled "brick shelf foundation" and found the diagram below -- pretend it's a block wall on the left side, instead of wood framing.
It looks like the foundation extends "about a brick's width" past the surface to be veneered, so add "2 x width of brick" to the cinderblock dimension, and that should be your slab width.

There's an air gap between the brick and the substrate (with brick ties as needed), and the brick overhangs the foundation by the width of the gap.

* I'm slooowly putting granite veneer directly on my cinderblock base; this is my best attempt at answering your brickwork question.  :-D
Maybe Tscarborough will weigh in...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:32:25 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Ev

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »
Looks like you're off to a good start with materials gathering. Here's my build thread from when I built my 42" Pompeii that you may find helpful. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11155.0

So, you're a professional banjo player? As a long time bluegrass fan and festival attendee, I must ask, what band are you in?
When I die, I want my remains scattered all over Disney World. Also, I don't want to be cremated!

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
I found the next to free plans "$3.00" from Forno Bravo priceless for my build. They have lots of detailed instructions, dimensions and material spec's.  Their forum was also very helpful, lots of knowledgeable folks.

https://www.fornobravo.com/store/pompeii-oven-instruction-ebook-v2-0-pdf/

Offline Ev

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
I found the next to free plans "$3.00" from Forno Bravo priceless for my build. They have lots of detailed instructions, dimensions and material spec's.  Their forum was also very helpful, lots of knowledgeable folks.

https://www.fornobravo.com/store/pompeii-oven-instruction-ebook-v2-0-pdf/

That's where I got the plans for mine too, but they were free back then. ;)
When I die, I want my remains scattered all over Disney World. Also, I don't want to be cremated!

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
That's where I got the plans for mine too, but they were free back then. ;)
Still are  ;) $3.00  ;D

There is no less than $300 worth of information packed in that .pdf

Offline Ev

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
Still are  ;) $3.00  ;D

There is no less than $300 worth of information packed in that .pdf

Yeah, pretty much.
BTW, I checked out your build pics yesterday. Outstanding work and a simply stunning appearance! :drool:

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 11:09:43 AM »
BTW, I checked out your build pics yesterday. Outstanding work and a simply stunning appearance! :drool:

Ev, Back at you ;)

I really appreciate the compliment, we were very happy how it turned out.  ;D

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »

You need to make a layout of your dome, similar to this:

42" ID + 4.5+4.5 (dome thickness two sides) + 2x???(planned insulation thickness two sides) + 4"+4" (studs and cement board two sides) = minimum width of your cinderblock base (Round up to the next half-block, it will give you a little more dead space outside the insulation.)

THANK YOU!  I may be changing it as I go but love where that diagram is taking me. 

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 11:27:52 AM »
Finally making a little head way.  Here's the setting and my neighbor is a contractor who owns a bobcat!  (the best kind of neighbor)  He and another general contractor friend told me that due to the type of ground where I am plastic sheeting under the slab wouldn't be necessary.  He said after a while it would rot off anyway.  Any thoughts? 

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
I went with 6 inches of compacted crushed stone, then plastic and then the slab for my base. That's all on top of very well draining sand.

The water table at my last house was high. Water definitely worked it's way up through the slab. It actually puddled in a low spot before we put in drains and a better sump system. For a few bucks, I'd use the sheeting. Maybe it is unnecessary, but it definitely won't hurt.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »
Trying again! 

An old printing company in town was being torn down and they were glad to give me a bunch of the cinder blocks.

I met a guy who runs a concrete company and I told him what I needed for rock and he said, "as little as you want?  Just get a shovel and come get it."  I think I got about 5-6 tons in several trips on a day I took out a LOT of aggression!  And probably tore out what's left of my shocks in the truck

Got the main slab form done! 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:42:56 PM by BANTAR1000 »

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 08:54:49 PM »
I feel like the slab doesn't look bad for a mechanic and a banjo player doing it!  lol  It took us about 2 and a half hours from starting the machine to being done.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »
While I put down the courses of block, my girlfriend came to check on me.  She had a great point.  Me being 6'2" and she claims to be 5' 12" she said, "We're always complaining about everything in our house being too short!  I wish we could make it higher."  The problem is, I had calculated that exact amount out and while we were talking about it, someone from a facebook post messaged me about looking for blocks.  They said they had 20 I could have.  So the next morning I got them and we decided to take it up to 5 normal 8" blocks high. 

That afternoon she came out and shoveled stuff into the mixer while I dumped.  She's awesome! 

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
One thing that occurred to me while I was finishing the blocks is, since I'm gonna be pouring a slab anyway, why not also pour enough for whatever prep area I may need.  So, I came up with a bunch of different ideas.  I'd love some input!  What do you think?

I like the idea of the bar on the right side, and really liked the T shape of #1 but realized it could get hot standing right in front.  So that's where #9 came from.  The GF says to just make it basic and add tables later or make them separate.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
One small suggestion before you go any further.  As built, you have created a lovely home for bugs and critters. Since only the first 2 foot or so of the under oven space is usable anyway you may as well build a cross wall about 18"-24" to create a storage area that can be easily cleaned.  I went even further, making a completely separate wood storage area, floor and all.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:20 AM »
After using mine for a few years (and not using most of the "storage" space under the oven, I agree.   :)

I built a fairly shallow (but still too deep) space at the front, and a large space under the rear accessed from one side.
I've been thinking I should have made a shallow, full-width opening at the front, and run a divider down the remaining length to form two wide, shallow spaces accessed from each side:

X             XXXXXX
X             X
X             X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X             X
X             X
X             XXXXXX
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!