A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My 80cm neapolitan-style WFO build  (Read 129 times)

Offline Peyronson

• I Love Pizza!
My 80cm neapolitan-style WFO build
« on: May 05, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »
Hey there

I've been working on my WFO project for a while now, thought it might be wise to get some feedback from the collective experience on this forum to avoid making mistakes.

So far I've constructed the steel stand form welded square profile steel, the round steel base is corten steel 125cm diameter with a 10cm tall edge. I've also bought the firebricks, all ingredients for the mortar and Saputo biscotti cut to 80cm diameter. Could not easily get a hold of pie-shaped pieces, so I had to make do with cutting from square pieces.

I chose to go with perlite concrete for the insulation of the base, the bottom layer is about 8cm thick, I'm thinking I might add a few cm more under the cooking surface followed by 4-5cm sand/ash/salt mix. Do you guys think 8cm would be too thin for adequate insulation under the sandmix?

I also need some advice on the diameter-height ratio considering the relatively small diameter - I've read that the dome height should be about 1/3 of the inner diameter, which would be roughly 27cm. I'm planning to make the solider course about 14-15 cm tall and total dome height of 28-30cm with a 22cm high opening. Is that a good ratio for neapolitan style pizza? Will it trap enough heat?

I live pretty close to a foundry so I made a plywood model of the oven opening and they fabricated it out of cast iron, hoping that will give the oven an authentic feel.

Tomorrow I'll rent a saw for cutting most of the firebrick, but probably let the base cure and dry out a little more before continuing the build.

Appreciate any input on measurements and other advice.

Cheers, Fredrik
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:15:28 PM by Peyronson »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T