A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Finally starting my build!  (Read 9644 times)

Offline stevenstefke

• Oh i can write my own!.... i LOVE Pizza!
Re: Finally starting my build!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:28 PM »
autoc(h)a(d)t

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 08:36:04 PM »
Having a prep area adjacent to your oven "IMO" is priceless. I had initially planned on a small counter area to the right of my oven, then a contractor Freind of mine gave me a pile of quartz counter top that expanded my entire area 10 fold. I'm now not sure how I could do without it.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »
More progress!  I made the decision to use a version of #7 in that pic of the ideas for the hearth slab.  The front has an 18" lip all the way around the right to make a bar/prep area.  The left & back wall will have a 2" concrete reveal.  All I really need to say about it, " I'M NOT A CONCRETE GUY!" 

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
Having a prep area adjacent to your oven "IMO" is priceless.

I agree!  I wanted a bar coming off the side, but couldn't figure out how to make it work with the space, so I did my down the side.  I'll also probably put something close.  SOON!

What did you use for your hearth insulation layer, and where did you get it? That's next, trying to find a cheap version of that!  lol

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
If you have a good local supply for perlite/vermiculite, then perlcrete or vermicrete should be your *cheapest* option.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »
If you have a good local supply for perlite/vermiculite

This has been an issue. I found one place in town.  It's a garden nursery.  They sell 4 cu feet of vermiculite for $20'ish dollars.   Where else would i find vermiculite and I can't find perlite anywhere!  Where would I get that? 

And I've read some pros and cons of vermcrete vs FB board.  I'm not intending on using it for commercial use so I don't really see how the vermcrete could be bad.  Any input? Thanks again?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »
I found a good price on perlite at a greenhouse supply wholesaler. It was much cheaper than getting it at a home Depot or lowes. Don't remember the exact price but they were 6 cubic foot bags instead of 2. Some masonry supply places carry it to fill blocks but that was much finer/dusty.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 02:31:02 PM »
I found a good price on perlite at a greenhouse supply wholesaler.

Thank you sir!  So far, the cheapest I've found is $20 for a 4 cu foot. But I'm loving your blog man!  Oven is awesome.  I'm a little confused between September and October.  You have a hearth stand made of just concrete,  then a perlite concrete mix insulating layer,  then fiber board, THEN fire bricks? 

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
Thank you sir!  So far, the cheapest I've found is $20 for a 4 cu foot. But I'm loving your blog man!  Oven is awesome.  I'm a little confused between September and October.  You have a hearth stand made of just concrete,  then a perlite concrete mix insulating layer,  then fiber board, THEN fire bricks?

Thank you. Ive made a surprising amount of local friends with the blog. It's been fun.

Yes. That's what I did. I've got the slab, a 3.5 inch layer of perlcrete (a 2x4 high), two inches of board under the floor. The insulation board was probably unnecessary but I wanted some for inside an eventual door. It also helped with giving me a little flexibility with the height of the oven floor. I bought a box and had enough for the 2 inches under the oven and two inches inside a future door. There is 3 inches of blanket around the oven. When I get the walls up, I'll top that off with some more loose perlite. Seems like the running joke on the Forno Bravo site is no one has ever complained about too much insulation. Without a door, just bricks stacked in front of the opening, I have had very good heat retention. I think the insulated door will improve it. If I did it again, I think I'd go with a 2x6 form for the perlite and skip the board. I'd say the best part of the board was that it was easy to level and there was a nice flat surface you could mark up to start the oven.

The goal was an oven that could heat up in a reasonable amount of time (not a huge mass) but well insulated so I could use the residual heat too. Now if it ever stops raining, I can start the enclosure. I've been stockpiling the materials in the garage. Hope to get started on that soon.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 09:24:53 PM »
If I did it again, I think I'd go with a 2x6 form for the perlite and skip the board.

I think that's what I'm gonna do!  You're a genius!  I can get the vermiculite any time. Why can't I (or can I) smooth out the top of the vermcrete? And 5/1 with Portland cement? 

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
I was talked into the fiber board floor because of warnings that the floor heat retention would be better when insulated with FB over perlite. For the little possible savings, I would use the FB, you don't want to put all the time and effort into your build and have a floor that's temperature won't hold. I thought my build components I used were the cheapest part of the project, the finishing touches and exterior rendering is where I spent lots of money. Don't try and cut cost on proper oven build materials, Just my $.02.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »

I think that's what I'm gonna do!  You're a genius!  I can get the vermiculite any time. Why can't I (or can I) smooth out the top of the vermcrete? And 5/1 with Portland cement?
It levels, but it isn't smooth like a concrete finish. It's weird. It looks like it will crumble and then one morning it's oddly solid.  I used some fireclay to make it smooth so nothing would punch through or ding the board. I think 1 inch of board is equal to 2-3 inches of perlcrete.

Hodgey has a good point about the board cost. I probably have as much in cost in enclosure materials (steel studs, plywood, some snow/ice barrier) in the garage as the perlite, boards, and blankets. If you have a Harbison Wlaker nearby, you can pick up the insulation to avoid shipping. I goy 2 boxes of blanket and 1 box of 1 inch board(16 pieces) for I think $350. There's one in Buffalo and I stopped by when I was out that way for work. Fit easily in a Ford Escape.

I saved up for a few years for the project. Little bit each paycheck went into my wood oven slush fund. Auto deposit. I think it becomes the vacation fund when I finish.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
Well, my hearth slab didn't fall.  (YET!)

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »
Another question on insulation board.  What can I ask for if I'm shopping around?  I found the spec sheet for forno bravos board I figure I'll just take around with me. I don't wanna buy something that may get crushed...

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »
I used InsBlok 19, the compressive strength is 38 psi. So a 4.5"x9" firebrick, that's over 1500 pounds and it's good to 1900F. Seemed like sufficient overkill to me. Came in 1 inch thick boards that were 1'x3'.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
I think InsBlok loses compressive strength if it gets *really* wet; if you use it, make sure you keep it covered during construction.
In grams we trust.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
make sure you keep it covered during construction.

GOOD TIP!  I lucked out at a flea market and bought a 9 x 12 canopy tent with sides screens for $5.   Did you use ins board?

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
GOOD TIP!  I lucked out at a flea market and bought a 9 x 12 canopy tent with sides screens for $5.   Did you use ins board?

I have Foamglas on the slab, covered with cal-sil (like FB board):  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38955.msg389860#msg389860
In grams we trust.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
Good point about the water...I have been kind of religious about keeping everything dry with a system of tarps and a canopy. I used tapcons to attach the canopy to concrete block. The blocks were better than spikes in terms of keeping the canopy from blowing away and the extra 8 inches of height worked out too.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
. I used tapcons to attach the canopy to concrete block.

Im gonna have to use similar.  I though of everything!  Saturday,  I made the hearth form and attached it, and sunday the girlfriend and I poured it.  I completely forgot to set the threaded rod into the slab for the bottom plates of the walls.  Pissed me off!

wordpress