A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Does sourdough weaken over time?  (Read 652 times)

Offline moose13

Does sourdough weaken over time?
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
I Dont think it does but something is going on with mine. Maybe gotten old and lazy? I used to really have to watch it as it would climb out of the jar and run all over the kitchen. Now i feed it and its like , meh. My last two batches of dough basically got thrown out as they did not really rise. I tried one quick pie and it was probably my worst yet. What gives? I need to find a good consistent 00 dough for use on the blackstone. Thanks for any advice.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Does sourdough weaken over time?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »
I am NOT a good sourdough steward, I have killed many good ones out of neglect :-\ :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:02:48 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline moose13

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »
I am NOT a goid sourdough steward, I have killed many good ones out of neglect :-\ :(
It IS alive , just not ALIVE! I have a batch of dough out 24 hrs now with no real sign of any rise. What is the deal? PLease help my fellow pizza pals.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:42:03 PM by moose13 »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:04:52 AM »
Maybe feed it using your normal flour and half rye flour twice a day for a few days?
Hans

Offline ccgus

• Maybe Pizza?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
I've seen this happen with one of my starters, and the solution (at least for me) was pretty easy. My usual routine (which lead up to this) was as follows:

Take some starter out of the fridge on wends night / thursday morning and feed it to get it active again.
Feed it 2-3 times a day and then on Friday evening I use it to make dough for Saturday night's pizza.
Feed it a final time and put it back in the fridge till next wends.

When I noticed the starter behaving a little odd, instead of putting it back in the fridge on Friday I just keep on feeding it and watching it for the next week. This seemed to stabilize things and now I've got the opposite problem, it's way more active than it used to be and I'm having to put less starter into my dough. But it's a good problem to have I suppose.

So if you're keeping it in the fridge, maybe keep it out for a week and feed it a bunch?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 01:23:17 PM »
When I noticed the starter behaving a little odd, instead of putting it back in the fridge on Friday I just keep on feeding it and watching it for the next week. This seemed to stabilize things and now I've got the opposite problem, it's way more active than it used to be and I'm having to put less starter into my dough. But it's a good problem to have I suppose.

Sounds like you let it get so weak that another SD+LAB culture was able to take over.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ccgus

• Maybe Pizza?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »
Sounds like you let it get so weak that another SD+LAB culture was able to take over.

That was likely what was going on. It did smell different, which is what worried me. But after a week of constant feeding it was back to what I remember it as.

wordpress