A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Question about the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza clone  (Read 2092 times)

Offline kuhne

Question about the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza clone
« on: May 15, 2017, 04:44:45 PM »
I tried searching but I think my questions are a bit too simple and I couldn't find a specific answer.

I've only been making pizzas for a little over a month now and so far I've only made neapolitan style on my grill or NY style on my kitchen oven using a stone or steel.

I am planning on making the Pizza Hut pan pizza clone in this site, I own a pan pizza dish exactly the size that the recipe describes and I am planning on following the directions precisely to the letter, I just have three questions.

1. When I make pizzas on the grill they are done in about a minute and a half and when I make them on my preheated steel in the oven they are done in about 4 minutes. The Pan Pizza recipe states that I should preheat the oven to 500 degrees and the pizza will be done in something over 10 minutes or so, using a stone.

Does this mean I have to use a stone? If I use steel would it burn? Or could I just use the steel and lower the time? Or could I preheat the steel to the max temp, which is about 575, so that I could then make some NY style pies after it? Since I am making several tomorrow.

2. Does it help if the pan pizza is directly under the broiler as I usually do with my NY style pizzas? Or should this one be in the middle of the oven without the broiler on?

3. Probably the dumbest question. Every pizza I've ever made goes directly on top of the stone or steel, never in a pizza pan/dish. The recipe doesn't specify this 100% (because it asumes everybody is not as ignorant as me) Do I have to take the pizza out of the pan, to put it directly on top of the stone or steel? Or does the whole thing go inside the oven?

Thanks!

Just a quick edit. I just noticed the recipe doesn't say to let the dough rest after removing from the fridge. Does it go directly from the fridge to the oven?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:11:59 PM by kuhne »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
Re: Question about the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza clone
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:02:29 AM »
Hi Kuhne.

I will do my best to answer your "3" questions:   :)

When I make pizzas on the grill they are done in about a minute and a half and when I make them on my preheated steel in the oven they are done in about 4 minutes. The Pan Pizza recipe states that I should preheat the oven to 500 degrees and the pizza will be done in something over 10 minutes or so, using a stone.

Does this mean I have to use a stone? No.
If I use steel would it burn?   Probably  -- unless you have a pizza screen you could place under the pan.  Same goes for a stone.

Or could I just use the steel and lower the time? I wouldn't advise that.

Or could I preheat the steel to the max temp, which is about 575, so that I could then make some NY style pies after it?  I DEFINITELY would not advise doing that.  It will burn.

Does it help if the pan pizza is directly under the broiler as I usually do with my NY style pizzas? No.

Or should this one be in the middle of the oven without the broiler on?  YES!

Probably the dumbest question. Every pizza I've ever made goes directly on top of the stone or steel, never in a pizza pan/dish. The recipe doesn't specify this 100% (because it assumes everybody is not as ignorant as me) Do I have to take the pizza out of the pan, to put it directly on top of the stone or steel? Or does the whole thing go inside the oven?

The whole thing goes into the oven.  The oil in the pan "fries" the bottom of the dough to give it that characteristic crispy, golden brown texture and color.

I just noticed the recipe doesn't say to let the dough rest after removing from the fridge. Does it go directly from the fridge to the oven? I'd recommend taking it out of the fridge for at least 1 or 2 hours before topping it and placing it in the oven.

This is what I recommend:  After letting the dough in the fridge come up towards room temperature, bake on the middle rack of your oven with no steel or stone in the oven.  No broiler.  Cover the top of the pizza pan with a sheet of aluminum foil placed loosely over the top of the pan for at least the first half of the bake to prevent the cheese and toppings from burning.  Pre-heat the oven to 475 degrees and bake the pizza at 450 degrees.  Should take 10 to 15 minutes or so -- maybe longer.   It's difficult to do a good job with a New York and a pan pizza in the same home oven at the same time, especially if you don't have a screen.  So stick with one style or the other on a given day for now.

Good luck and post some pictures after the bake!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:16:05 PM by RockyMountainPie »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:18:59 AM »
Kuhne,

Your post inspired me to make a Pizza Hut Style Pan Pizza.

This is the recipe I used for the dough:

Flour (100%):  383.7 g  |  13.53 oz | 0.85 lbs
Water (55.5%): 212.95 g  |  7.51 oz | 0.47 lbs
Instant Dry Yeast (0.8%):  3.07 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.02 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
Salt (1.5%):  5.76 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.03 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (4.25%): 16.31 g | 0.58 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.59 tsp | 1.2 tbsp
Sugar (1.6%): 6.14 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.54 tsp | 0.51 tbsp
Dry Non-Fat Milk (2.25%): 8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 6.01 tsp | 2 tbsp
Total (165.9%): 636.55 g | 22.45 oz | 1.4 lbs

And the Sauce:
(thanks to Jackie Tran)

1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
6 oz. water.
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)

My son and I made a video of the process and it can be seen here:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:22:41 AM by RockyMountainPie »

Offline kuhne

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:09:23 AM »
I canít believe I just saw this response today! So sorry.

I will definitely try your recipe. Iím about to watch your video.

Thank you so much!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T