A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ideal Temperature Range for Medium Thick Crust Pizza  (Read 1382 times)

Offline asadaftab

• Quest for a professional pie!
Ideal Temperature Range for Medium Thick Crust Pizza
« on: June 13, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
Hi Pizza Lovers !

I am making pizza with (almost) standard Lehmann dough with a TF of 0.13 in a deck oven with a stone at the bottom. I normally set bottom oven temperature at 575F and top one at 525F. I normally let the oven heat for about 5-10 minutes after my gauges shows that the desired temperatures has attained before putting the pizza in it. I cook the pizza for 7 minutes. The crust is wonderful at the bottom but sometimes it is a bit soggy or may be slightly under cooked at the top (just underneath the sauce). But if I cook for say 7.5 mins or a bit more the bottom starts to burn.

Are these temperatures and cooking times OK or should I experiment with a different set? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Ideal Temperature Range for Medium Thick Crust Pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
I seldom bake a thick/thicker crust pizza that hot, I like to use 475 to 500F with top and bottom temperature set the same.
I'd also suggest letting the oven warm up longer too this is to make sure you have all the heat possible stored in the deck/stone.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline asadaftab

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
Thank you Tom. I'll try that and get back to you soon.

Offline asadaftab

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 03:39:49 PM »
Hi Tom,

I tried a lower top/bottom temperature of 525 F and baked for 8 mins. Did preheat for at least 15 mins after attaining the temperature at the dial.

Pizza cooked much better and cheese melted nicely with a light brown color. Will try 500 top/bottom next time.

I am considering to reduce the TF to 0.12 (actually it was 0.135 and not 0.13). Any suggestions/guidelines?

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »
I'm with Tom on that one, 475 is a great temp, 500 at the upper range.  I have yet to find a cheese that doesn't oil off at higher temps than these , with a longer bake time for the medium to thick crusts.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T