A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bringing your starter on vacation?  (Read 242 times)

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what am I :)
Bringing your starter on vacation?
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:23:04 AM »
Am I crazy to consider bringing my starter on vacation?  :)

Not sure I'm going to bake at all, but like that I don't have to leave it alone for 3 weeks.  I'll also be able to regenerate it at my normal schedule.

Who knows maybe it will even pick something up from the foreign flour, water, and environment. Suppose that could be for good or for bad, but I do have some dried starter as a backup.
Effeuno P134H, Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Caputo Pizzeria, Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Bringing your starter on vacation?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »
I suspect that if TSA finds it in your luggage, it would likely cause you to miss your flight (at a minimum) and you probably would not get it back.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »
A starter will survive in the fridge for three weeks, so I wouldn't worry about it in the first place. It might just need a few more feedings before it's ready to go again.

If you really want to take it along, just feed it up, put half of it in the fridge and half of it in some suitable container for your suitcase. If the TSA doesn't find it or bother about it, you can feed it, bring it back home and toss the fridge one. If they take it from you, you always got the fridge starter.

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what am I :)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »
AFAIK, it's no illegal or against security policy here in the EU to put some starter in the suitcase.

It's kind of silly but my starter is beginning to feel like a pet! :)
Effeuno P134H, Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Caputo Pizzeria, Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »
Leave it some chew toys  :-D

Seriously it'll be fine in the fridge

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »
amolapizza,

If you decide to take your starter with you on vacation, I would suggest that you treat it well. So you should bring the starter with you to the pool and to restaurants and any entertainment venues. If you just leave it in the room at the hotel, it may call room service and order all kinds of things that you might not want to pay for. And it may go down to the bar and run up a big tab, and maybe try to pick up something to bring back to the room. Following the above suggestions will get you a friend that will always respect you and be good to you once you call upon it to perform.

Peter

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »
 :-D ;D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 05:01:44 PM »
AFAIK, it's no illegal or against security policy here in the EU to put some starter in the suitcase.

It's kind of silly but my starter is beginning to feel like a pet! :)

I'm not saying it's illegal - rather, have fun trying to explain it. My guess is they take it away from you - that or you miss your flight while you try to explain it and they decide if they believe you.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
A starter will survive in the fridge for three weeks,

I've gone six months in the fridge without feeding and with no ill effect so far as I can tell.

Offline halfprice

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
My back up starter is only fed every 4 or 5 months.   My other starter is fed every 1 or 2 weeks

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »
I agree with those above that there is no reason that you can't leave it at home refrigerated. If you decide to take it, checked bag will not be a problem. For carry on just be sure it is less than 3.4 ounce (100ml) and should not be a problem either.
Hans

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 05:37:12 AM »
I've seen a few examples of people putting their starters "to sleep" if they don't plan to use them for a while. Does anyone have some experience with this and if it makes a difference? I've neglected my own starter for months and it's worked fine when I fed it back up, but I don't know if that changed the properties of it it some negative way.

One example I saw on Instagram was a guy adding 2% salt and reducing the hydration to 70% before going away for a few weeks.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 06:31:24 AM »
The thing you can do if you're nervous to is feed it well and get it nice and active, scoop some out an let it dry...parchment paper is great for this...wax paper tends to stick biut s okay, not sure about just on a plate...But spread a thin layer using maybe a quarter cup or so..maybe more, as long as it's thin coverage on your surface, and let it air dry...might take a day or two. It will harden and be brittle. Then you can break it into chips and store in glass jar or Ziploc bag...If your starter doesn't survive (though it will) you can rebuild it fro the dried version...works just fine.