A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: just picked up a sourdough starter, maintenance and utilization for pizza?  (Read 2329 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
thanks jon!
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
not unexpectedly, my started died during our 6-week trip to asia. My friend forked off more of his starter, I fed it for the first time yesterday. His process was to toss out half the starter each day, add a couple of tablespoons of kabf and kawf, add water until the consistency of a thick paste. I decided to use a 1-1-1 ratio of starter, water and kabf.  It took 12 hours to double and now, 22 hours since the feed, it hasn't fallen a bit.

am I doing something wrong?
A wondrous sweet

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
not unexpectedly, my started died during our 6-week trip to asia. My friend forked off more of his starter, I fed it for the first time yesterday. His process was to toss out half the starter each day, add a couple of tablespoons of kabf and kawf, add water until the consistency of a thick paste. I decided to use a 1-1-1 ratio of starter, water and kabf.  It took 12 hours to double and now, 22 hours since the feed, it hasn't fallen a bit.

am I doing something wrong?

No, you're good. My white flour starter is a bit looser and falls after it's rise. My rye starter does not fall until I start to stir it.
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
thanks hans! I gave it a good stir and it's just about back to the point where I fed it yesterday.
A wondrous sweet

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
hmm...as noted above, I stirred it, back down to original feeding point but now one hour later, and without feeding, it's almost overflowing the mason jar!  I have to head out for an hour, I hope the stuff isn't pouring out of our doors and windows by the time I get back!
A wondrous sweet

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
That's active! What is the room temp? Mine is pretty slow at 72F but when I get it to 78F for building a leaven it get very active.
Hans

Online Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
Keep feeding it and you'll be fine. If it's been in hiatus for a while, it often takes a few feedings to get into a normal rhythm. Make sure you got room in the jar for 2-3 volume increase. Or put the jar into a bowl or on a plate as overflow security.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
it's around 73, I'm going to feed it now rather than risk a blob consuming our house.
A wondrous sweet

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
...... Or put the jar into a bowl or on a plate as overflow security.

Good advice.  Been there, done that ;D

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
good advice on the plate, the starter overflowed the mason jar and it's still rising. Based on all this activity, I'm thinking I should give it a try with some pizza? when is the best time to use the starter? I think I read just after it peaks? the baker that gave it to me makes fantastic sourdough english muffins and bread. He stops feeding for 3 days before use but I think someone here said "pizza is not bread" :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:11:10 AM by quietdesperation »
A wondrous sweet

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
good advice on the plate, the starter overflowed the mason jar and it's still rising. Based on all this activity, I'm thinking I should give it a try with some pizza? when is the best time to use the starter? I think I read just after it peaks? the baker that gave it to me makes fantastic sourdough english muffins and bread. He stops feeding for 3 days before use but I think someone here said "pizza is not bread" :)

Around when it peaks/doubles is good.

I have only made bread with an unfed starter once, but it was one day not three. I have never heard/read of anyone stopping feeding three days prior to use, maybe he misspoke?. All my bread/pizza is made with starter that has about doubled. It does not have to be precise.
Hans

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Maybe the "three days" is only for English muffins? A lot of people just use discard from feeding (for waffles, too).

Many non-bread formulas react a soured starter with a base (baking soda) for the added chemical leavening effect, instead of relying on the starter yeast to provide all the rise.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:52:05 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Online Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
Around the time it peaks is fine. You can use it before and after peak too, without much trouble. For the sake of consistency, I would try using it around the same level every time.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
thanks, I'm gonna give it a try soon. on the way he used the starter, here's what he said:
"Use: Don't feed it for 1-3 days, dump a heaping teaspoon of starter into 100g of flour and 100 g of water. flavor becomes more intense, funkier the longer the starter is not fed."

I''m pretty certain this is what he said because a) I took notes and b) sent him a followup email with my notes to confirm I got it right. His muffins are locally famous, a wonderful, local bakery wanted to go into business with him but he decided baking would become something different for him if he commercialized the process.
A wondrous sweet

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
QD...reading that Sweeney Todd quote, I don't think  I'll be asking for a slice of your sausage pizza  >:D :-D

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
thanks, I'm gonna give it a try soon. on the way he used the starter, here's what he said:
"Use: Don't feed it for 1-3 days, dump a heaping teaspoon of starter into 100g of flour and 100 g of water. flavor becomes more intense, funkier the longer the starter is not fed."

Makes sense. For naturally leavened sweet doughs, they usually specify several days of 4-hour feedings to amplify the yeast at the expense of the bacteria (the bacterial population has a longer lag after feeding, according to Deborah Wink). As long as the resident yeasts can tolerate the acid buildup, and it sounds like they're happy, it's a valid technique. It sounds like a great starter!
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
QD...reading that Sweeney Todd quote, I don't think  I'll be asking for a slice of your sausage pizza  >:D :-D

I make a mean meat lovers pie  >:D
A wondrous sweet

Offline andytiedye

• I Love Pizza!
I have been experimenting with deep dish sourdough pizza.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Tell us about this! :)

Offline andytiedye

• I Love Pizza!
Just stated a topic: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=53750.0

Did I mention that was cooked with a solar oven?

wordpress