A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Converting a cracker style crust recipe: ADY -> cake yeast  (Read 274 times)

Offline jgehlsen

• I Love Pizza!
Converting a cracker style crust recipe: ADY -> cake yeast
« on: June 11, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »
I have been trying to replicate one of my favorite cracker style crust pizzas.

I have tried this recipe:

F - 100%
W - 51%
ADY - 0.7%
Salt - 2%
Olive Oil - 3%

Which is very good but not quite what I am looking for.  It has been suggested to substitute cake yeast for the ADY and vegetable oil for the olive oil.  A simple 1:1 substitute for the oil should be fine but I am having a hard time with the yeast.

I don't use cake yeast very often at all since it is so hard to find so I tried a 1:1 ratio and it didn't work at all (it barely rose after an hour and after sitting in the refrigerator for a day, the top was really crusty and hard).  I did some research and then did a 2.5:1 (cake yeast to ADY) ratio.  I put the yeast in a small bowl, added a little bit of sugar and then 20g of water.  I used a fork to break up the cake yeast until it was kind of soupy.  I let it sit for 10 minutes and it looked very good (foamy).  It worked a lot better than the first experiment but I had a hard time getting the dough to come together.  It rose much better than the first experiment but still not as good as the ADY recipe.  Since I ended up mixing it more than I would have liked, the dough was a lot tougher than I think it should be. 

Any suggestions for how to best substitute the cake yeast for the ADY?

The cake yeast version definitely had a nice aroma to it.  If I can figure out the right ratio, I do think it will be a nice improvement.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Mad_Ernie

Let them eat pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Converting a cracker style crust recipe: ADY -> cake yeast
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 11:00:15 AM »
This is the conversion chart I often cite:

http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm