A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone  (Read 18651 times)

Offline Michiel

• Passion for Pizza
Re: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
Great looking pizza's!

But why do you parbake?

Offline bobgraff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2019, 11:46:14 PM »
Great looking pizza's!

But why do you parbake?

Thanks and great question!

The honest answer is that I began par baking because I got tired of launching half my pizza toppings into the back of the oven, due to poor technique on my part. 

My process evolved from there and ended up with a pizza that I liked. 

Given that I bake on parchment paper now, it might be worth my time to revisit my process. 
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2019, 12:08:21 AM »
Great looking pizza's!

But why do you parbake?

Actually...parbaking is a cheat for home oven. It not only facilitates the bottom crispness, but also locks the top of the crust so that your sauce does not create such a wet environment as to hinder bottom crispness and avoid dreaded gum line,.  :chef:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:09:58 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
Wow. Made this one today and could be my favorite pizza that I have made ever... haha. So good. I used Ted's dough recipe at reply #87. The Sauce recipe was a bastardized sauce I made based on stuff I had around. The pizza was super thin and crispy, but with those great bubbles. Preheated stone for 1 hour plus at 550. I par baked the pizza with sauce at 530 for about 3.30-4 minutes. Topped and baked at 530 for 6-7 minutes. perfectly wonderful.

Offline bobgraff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »
Great job Todd - that's one good looking pizza!
Bob

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2019, 10:54:12 PM »
Thanks, Bob. I will definitely be using this one again.  ;D

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #226 on: August 06, 2019, 08:27:40 AM »
Pizza looks fantastic,  great lamination.  Glad you liked my recipe!

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »
A couple more Thin Crusts today with the same dough recipe. Man, I love this crust. Easily my best Thin Crust pizzas to date and surpassed anything in my area for Thin Crust.... loving these pies. I will be sticking with this recipe for Thin Crust for a bit and see how well I can hone this one in.

Offline bobgraff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2019, 08:42:43 PM »
A couple more Thin Crusts today with the same dough recipe. Man, I love this crust. Easily my best Thin Crust pizzas to date and surpassed anything in my area for Thin Crust.... loving these pies. I will be sticking with this recipe for Thin Crust for a bit and see how well I can hone this one in.

I am genuinely impressed how many pizzas you are making and how perfect they are turning out (this recipe and others). 

Please share as you discover improvements of your own!  Hats off to you sir!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:52:28 PM by bobgraff »
Bob

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2019, 12:24:46 AM »
Nice lamination!!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2019, 01:46:52 AM »
bobgraff, Thanks so much... I really appreciate it. I will definitely keep you informed of any changes or "improvements". I figure the more I make this one , surely I will eventually get better at rolling out dough. :)

invertedisdead, Thanks :) I've only made a couple Laminated Pizzas but am enjoying making them... and especially eating them (laminated thin crust is one of my faves)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2019, 12:44:36 AM »
I've made a few laminated pies before that turned out great, but it's been a while. What's the consensus on lamination  schedules? It seems like last time I did one, I laminated the dough and then cold fermented the finished dough skins, baking them straight out of the fridge.

That crumbled sausage looks KILLER! Haven't had one like that in forever, I gotta do that next time for a topping.

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »
invertedisdead,  I didn't cold ferment the finished skins. I rolled them out and used them. I did par bake these primarily because of time. These are my first attempts with this style and will surely play around with par baking and not. To me the biggest advantage of par baking is the time saver for actual 'pizza making" when the time comes. These are fairly labor intensive pies using a rolling pin. Each pizza is 3 skins rolled out... if you are making 6-8 pizzas it can save a lot of effort come party time. The crust also turned out fantastic on these so there is that too. I know some guys frown at par baking. We are, however, trying to emulate pizzas made with totally different ovens and set ups. There are all sorts of home cheats that are being done to get there. I say do what you need to in order to make a quality pizza and an enjoyable experience for all... if that means par baking then go for it. Everyones oven is different. I recently realized my oven will go up to 585 so this also changes variables of experimentation for me. I have some of these dough balls in the fridge for Monday and will by trying a couple things with this batch. Things are constantly "fluid" at the moment and always changing. I am eager to experiment more with this crust and pizza.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:37:17 AM by spacelooper »

Offline bobgraff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »
I originally went down the path of rolling out skins and refrigerating/freezing them, but found that the resulting crusts would be more chewy/less crispy proportionate to the length of time the skins were stored.

I did some experiments in this post and is a good illustration of the effects.

I think you can get away with storing the skins for less than a day for convenience sake, but it doesn't make a better pizza IMO.

As with spacelooper, I'd opt to par-bake the skins ahead of time if under time constraints.
Bob

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
invertedisdead,  I didn't cold ferment the finished skins. I rolled them out and used them. I did par bake these primarily because of time. These are my first attempts with this style and will surely play around with par baking and not. To me the biggest advantage of par baking is the time saver for actual 'pizza making" when the time comes. These are fairly labor intensive pies using a rolling pin. Each pizza is 3 skins rolled out... if you are making 6-8 pizzas it can save a lot of effort come party time. The crust also turned out fantastic on these so there is that too. I know some guys frown at par baking. We are, however, trying to emulate pizzas made with totally different ovens and set ups. There are all sorts of home cheats that are being done to get there. I say do what you need to in order to make a quality pizza and an enjoyable experience for all... if that means par baking then go for it. Everyones oven is different. I recently realized my oven will go up to 585 so this also changes variables of experimentation for me. I have some of these dough balls in the fridge for Monday and will by trying a couple things with this batch. Things are constantly "fluid" at the moment and always changing. I am eager to experiment more with this crust and pizza.

Thanks for chiming in! I grew up on Midwest thin & crispy party cut pizza but I hate rolling pins  >:D so I've been hesitant to really dive into this style, even though its really the most in my wheelhouse.

Lol as far as par baking, don't mind the Chicago forum.... their thin crust theory is strangely biased. The entire Midwest makes thin crust pizzas...  :angel:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:41:21 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2019, 04:06:12 PM »
I originally went down the path of rolling out skins and refrigerating/freezing them, but found that the resulting crusts would be more chewy/less crispy proportionate to the length of time the skins were stored.

I did some experiments in this post and is a good illustration of the effects.

I think you can get away with storing the skins for less than a day for convenience sake, but it doesn't make a better pizza IMO.

As with spacelooper, I'd opt to par-bake the skins ahead of time if under time constraints.

Cheers Bob! Last time I did laminated crackers I used Fazarri's technique of sheeting the dough, cutting skins, cold fermenting for a few days and use right out of the fridge. I lost most of my old pizza notes so I don't really remember anything specific I was doing.

Attaching a couple photos of my best laminated crackers, I'm pretty sure the round one was par baked and the square one wasn't.
edit: actually found my post on that pie! https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=43782.msg473623#msg473623
Funny I actually ended up balling the dough after laminating!  ???

I'm gonna have to re-read this whole thread and brush up on more of your experiments!

How long are you guys letting the dough/gluten relax after laminating before sheeting/rolling your final skins?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:12:30 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2019, 10:46:35 PM »
Thanks for chiming in! I grew up on Midwest thin & crispy party cut pizza but I hate rolling pins  >:D so I've been hesitant to really dive into this style, even though its really the most in my wheelhouse.

Lol as far as par baking, don't mind the Chicago forum.... their thin crust theory is strangely biased. The entire Midwest makes thin crust pizzas...  :angel:

Don't dis the Chicago/Midwest thin please .

Cracker... Steel plate On The Deck... Convection.... wallah. No par bakey.  🤯

Discus this amongst yourselves....🤫
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2019, 11:38:51 PM »
Don't dis the Chicago/Midwest thin please .

Cracker... Steel plate On The Deck... Convection.... wallah. No par bakey.  🤯

Discus this amongst yourselves....🤫

On the contrary, I'm suggesting to look past those who do diss this awesome pizza.

Interesting your getting crackers with no par bake, and steel + convection, that seems like it would have a fast bake time. Are they laminated? I'm more used to a slower deck oven stone baked thin and crispy pizza. Without a commercial sheeter I usually feel like a longer bake time is the only way to approach that texture of a true low hydration cracker crust.

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
Steel must be a key. I am baking on a Fibrament stone @585. I definitely needed the par bake to get the crunch I desire. I have done both ways par bake and non. Here is one today. Fibrament Stone @ 585. Par Bake for 2 minutes, cooled for about 15 or so, topped and baked for another 5 minutes. Turned out perfectly. I also changed a few things this time... only rolling out 1 dough ball and quartering it for a 4 layer lamination instead of 2 dough balls and 8 layers. I think I like the thickness much better on this pie. and still got lamination.

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2019, 03:29:43 PM »
This is always my sign that I got the right crunch on my pizza... all those little Saltine crumbles at the bottom of the pizza box after your pie is gone...