A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Restaurant Depot membership  (Read 3266 times)

Offline tracy

Restaurant Depot membership
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
I'm interested in shopping at Restaurant Depot for flour, cheese, canned tomatoes, etc.  However, I don't meet either of the membership qualifications (business license or tax-except certificate).  I've read that by joining the Kansas City Barbecue Society you can get unlimited one-day passes for shopping at RD.  I was curious if anyone had taken this route, or had any other suggestions for shopping at RD as an individual (there aren't really any other cash and carry stores in my area surprisingly).

http://www.kcbs.us/member_login.php?m=1&source=links.php
Mention of RD is on the sidebar under "privileges"

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Restaurant Depot membership
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »
I have not done it myself, but I know someone who is really into baking and she joined the KCBS for restaurant depot access. Worked in Albany.

I'd give your local Restaurant Depot a call or stop in to make sure they take it.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »
I'm interested in shopping at Restaurant Depot for flour, cheese, canned tomatoes, etc.  However, I don't meet either of the membership qualifications (business license or tax-except certificate).  I've read that by joining the Kansas City Barbecue Society you can get unlimited one-day passes for shopping at RD.  I was curious if anyone had taken this route, or had any other suggestions for shopping at RD as an individual (there aren't really any other cash and carry stores in my area surprisingly).

http://www.kcbs.us/member_login.php?m=1&source=links.php
Mention of RD is on the sidebar under "privileges"

I have done that. Joined KCBS ($35/yr I think it was) and you can print the one day pass from the KCBS web site.
For the one day though, you need to buy a lot to make the $35 expense worth it.

Offline tracy

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
Is it really only one, one day pass?  I've read on other forums that you can just keep printing out the passes.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »
I'm a kcbs member, I print the one day pass whenever I want to go. If you have a smoker, the membership pays for itself by purchasing one whole prime brisket. At least that's the case in these parts where a prime brisket sells for $20/lb(!)

best,
jd
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:35:55 PM by quietdesperation »
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline goosta

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
I also joined KCBS to be able to shop at RD. So far, it has been great. I just bring a printed copy of the flyer from the KCBS website when I go and they write up a day pass at the desk up front (just inside the door). It has basically become a date for my wife and I now, as we have two young kids who go to grandma's house while we shop. :-D

Offline tracy

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »
Great, thanks all for the responses. Nearest RDs to me are Baltimore and Alexandria, so about an hour each way for either. Will make the trek some weekend this summer.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »
I was a KCBS member for a few years and used to go. 

Is it really only one, one day pass?  I've read on other forums that you can just keep printing out the passes.

you can go more than once, just reprint.  The pass they give you at the desk is just good for one day
Deb

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »
I just give them the KCBS company code at the front desk and they give me a day pass.   
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
I'm a kcbs member, I print the one day pass whenever I want to go. If you have a smoker, the membership pays for itself by purchasing one whole prime brisket. At least that's the case in these parts where a prime brisket sells for $20/lb(!)

best,
jd

Prime Brisket $20/lb   Yikes!!!
$3.69/lb at Costco here.

Offline tracy

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
Costco is a good option for meat, but they have very little in the way of bulk goods I've found. My local Costco no longer sells bricks of mozzarella, which is very disappointing. The only sacked flour they sell is Gold Medal AP or a generic "hotel" quality AP. They do sell about ten different types of rice in 25-50lb bags though. Might just be location.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »
Stopped in today to grab some 7-11 tomatoes. Three guys had 8 of the dollies full of stuff. They opened a register for them.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
Do you know anyone that has a business license?  A friend or family member that would be willing to sign up for an RD membership.  It shouldn't matter what type of business.  It didn't for me.  I have a PA business license that was free to acquire.  I didn't put much effort into what I was doing initially and it fizzled out.  The business has nothing to do with food service, but I had no problem signing up for an RD membership when a location opened up nearby.  They didn't care what the business was, and didn't really ask me any questions when I went to pick up my cards.  They gave me three cards.  They also wanted my federal EIN #, which I don't have.  I've never applied for one and don't plan to.  RD told me I could bring it at a later time.  I've been shopping there for a couple years now, and they don't bother me about it. 
I also went one time and didn't have a card on me.  I told them what business I was with and the address of the business.  They looked it up and gave me a one day pass. 

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »
Tracy, check your private messages.  Sorry for the late reply.
--pat--

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
Non profits can get a membership also.  When the guys are helping out with cooking meals we give them the RD card to go get supplies, and advise them to take a photo of it with their smart phone.  That way they can always get into RD in the future and for their own use.
All the best, Dave

wordpress