A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Source for Grande cheese in SF Bay Area?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline kipervarg

• I Love Pizza!
Source for Grande cheese in SF Bay Area?
« on: July 08, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »
After trying about 15 kinds of cheeses a decade ago, I settled on Grande and rarely looked back. I could always find a block of Grande at most Whole Foods in the area but they stopped carrying it.  :'( :-\

I've tried other cheeses but it's not the same. Can someone help? I'm sure others here were sourcing their Grande from Whole Foods too. Has anyone been able to find it?

- Sasha

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:46:14 PM by kipervarg »

Offline StateofMind

Re: Source for Grande cheese in SF Bay Area?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
I too was disappointed they stopped carrying it. The California Gold Mozz they started carrying in place of Grande has worked reasonably well for me. You may have luck finding Grande at somewhere like Berkeley Bowl or even Cheeese Board.

Offline kipervarg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »
Thanks StateofMind. I tried the California Gold Mozz and it's decent but not the same. I'll give Berkeley Bowl and Cheese Board a try. Hoping someone on this forum has figured out where to source Grande.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »
Last time I checked, it was not available at Berkeley Bowl.

I did not know WF stopped carrying it.  I will let you know if my local one (Oakland) still has it if I am in there sometime soon.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
After trying about 15 kinds of cheeses a decade ago, I settled on Grande and rarely looked back. I could always find a block of Grande at most Whole Foods in the area but they stopped carrying it.  :'( :-\

I've tried other cheeses but it's not the same. Can someone help? I'm sure others here were sourcing their Grande from Whole Foods too. Has anyone been able to find it?

- Sasha

Sasha,

Mollie Stone's sells it.

There's are several locations in SF, one on California, one on 18th Street and one on Portola Dr. Mollie Stone's in Sausalito also has it.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline kipervarg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:07:51 PM »
Thanks Mike. I called around to the various Mollie Stone's this evening and they either don't have it or only carry the 50/50 mixture. No luck.

Offline StateofMind

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 11:44:18 PM »
Looks like you are in the City. Try Bi-Rite or see if you can buy some from one of Tony G's places. I know he uses it on some pies.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:20:48 AM by StateofMind »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
Thanks Mike. I called around to the various Mollie Stone's this evening and they either don't have it or only carry the 50/50 mixture. No luck.

Calling around won't get you anywhere because most employees at MS don't know what it is. I bought it a gazillion times at their Cali Street location as well as in Sausalito. I've seen the 5lb loaves sitting on a shelf in the cheese section at the Cali location. It's on the left when you walk in.

The 1lb cut pieces are usually rewrapped and in one of those cooling cabinets together with Grande Provolone.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 11:39:24 PM »
We checked the local WF today - same, no more Grande and instead it is California Gold.  I will probably give it a try.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 11:52:45 PM »
We checked the local WF today - same, no more Grande and instead it is California Gold.  I will probably give it a try.

It's pretty good, I was using it for a while when I couldn't get Saputo. It's a Sysco product, though when I looked it up I did notice it is advertised as a tier under Saputo Premium Gold.

Despite the price, I really like Boars Head at home.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 12:26:35 AM »
I finally went into a Whole Foods here in Seattle last week looking for Grande cheese. All they had was something called Rumiano for LMWMM for something like $9/lb. Wasn't in the mood to try it.

Offline StateofMind

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 12:55:34 AM »
It's pretty good, I was using it for a while when I couldn't get Saputo. It's a Sysco product, though when I looked it up I did notice it is advertised as a tier under Saputo Premium Gold.

Despite the price, I really like Boars Head at home.

California Gold is made by Karoun. Saputo has a Golden State label they sell through Sysco.
https://www.karouncheese.com/cheeses/california-gold-mozzarella-loaf

Offline kipervarg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 11:04:01 PM »
Mike, I went to the California Street Mollie Stones and all they had was the part-skim Grande. I inquired about getting the whole milk loaf and they shrugged their shoulders.  :(

Offline kipervarg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »
My local supermarket was able to order some Polly-O for me so going to try that tomorrow night.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 12:53:40 AM »
Mike, I went to the California Street Mollie Stones and all they had was the part-skim Grande. I inquired about getting the whole milk loaf and they shrugged their shoulders.  :(

Talk to a manager...they might order it for you. But prepare for a steep price.

Mike

Offline mk9pa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 06:21:04 PM »
I can confirm that Mollie Stone's in Palo Alto (California St.) has Grande WMM in 6-lb loaves.  The cheese guy in the deli section knew exactly what I wanted when I got halfway through my question.  I got them to cut me 12-oz chunks which I will try out today.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:22:37 PM by mk9pa »

wordpress