A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neapolitan sourdough recipes  (Read 897 times)

Offline TaZ10101

• I Love Pizza!
Neapolitan sourdough recipes
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:53:27 AM »
Hello

I'm looking for any advise on creating authentic Neapolitan starter + dough recipes.
I a relative beginner so any hints and tips would be much appreciated thanks.   

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Neapolitan sourdough recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »
It's both simple and difficult at the same time. It's simple because it's generally just a matter of swapping a sourdough (SD) culture for the yeast. This table can help you find a starting point: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0  It's difficult because yeast activity is no longer a constant. Where baker's yeast (assuming it's not old) always provides the same level of activity, SD can vary quite a lot depending on how consistent you are with how you do everything.

Just like with yeast, you can do it direct (tiny amount of culture and long fermentation) or indirect (large amount of culture and short fermentation). In my experience, the direct method produces superior results. Also, I've found that cold fermentation in the refrigerator is not a good choice for sourdough, and fermenting at room temperature also dramatically adds to the difficulty.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TaZ10101

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:40:09 AM »
One thing I'm curious about, and can find no real info on is what type of flour is used for the sourdough starter, is it simply the same flour that would be used for the pizza dough like a oo tipo?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »
It doesn't have to be the same flour that you use in your pizza. I've always used KAAP. I think any decent quality flour would probably be fine. The flour can affect the starter, so you might get more predictable results if you constantly feed the starter the same flour.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline TaZ10101

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
I realise any kind of flour can be used, and that rye & whole meal are quicker to cultivate.
But I would like to know what flour would actually be used in Naples, according to “Verace Pizza Napoletana”  only wheat flour "00" is permitted + some allowances for wheat flour "0" too. So is it a safe bet that this is the same flour that would go into the sourdough starter culture?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
I think you'd be hard pressed to find many pizzerias in Naples (or any place else for that matter) that use sourdough. I doubt you'd find very many that give a darn about the VPN rules either. That being said, I can't imagine a pizzeria keeping a separate flour just for their culture.

Offline TaZ10101

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
Ah, I see, just pizza heads then

wordpress