A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My first Chicago deep dish experience  (Read 891 times)

Offline Jimal

• I Love Pizza!
My first Chicago deep dish experience
« on: September 03, 2017, 02:15:12 PM »
After years of hearing about it and one or two attempts to recreate it, I finally got to try out the real thing last week when a group of us went to dinner at Giordano's in Rosemont, near O'Hare. Five of us split a large Meat and More Meat. A few takeaways for me:

1. Deep dish takes a long time to bake. I'm used to thin crust pizza taking a few minutes with high heat. Something this thick and dense has to bake for while. Our order took an hour, and I don't think all of that was because the restaurant was busy on a Monday night.

2. A few months back I attempted to recreate a Chicago deep dish without having had one before. Having now tried the real thing, I didn't have nearly enough cheese in it. Forget the meats; I was not prepared for how much cheese thing thing had. (I had pictures, but I must have deleted them)

3. I was also surprised that, for all that cheese and meat, two pieces weren't overpowering, even after starting with bruschetta and a Caesar salad.

Overall I liked it, but it isn't pizza. I know this is an old argument, but in my IMHO a cake and a crepe having the same ingredients doesn't make them the same thing.

Offline jojoscircus

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My first Chicago deep dish experience
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »
"but it isn't pizza"

Sorry, but we cannot be friends.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:24:01 AM »
a group of us went to dinner at Giordano's

Going to Giordano's was your first mistake. Their claim to fame is *stuffed* pizza, which isn't exactly deep dish.

Also, though it has its fans, Giordano's crust, IMO, is bland and flavorless.  It's last on my list of places to spend money at.  It's a bit of an exaggeration, but it'd be like if I had said, "I finally tried NY style pizza for first time, and it was at Papa John's, and I didn't like it.  Therefore, that style sucks."

Go to Malnati's, brah.  They at least make deep dish as their main line.  Until then, you haven't really had it.

it isn't pizza

No need to be a pizza chauvinist.  It just reveals your ignorance.  The people who say that it isn't pizza are a tiny minority and basically trollish.  I respect all styles.  Any pizza done well is worth trying.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:27:09 AM by Garvey »

Online Satyen

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Often it is disappointing to have waited for an hour for a deep dish, only to find a heavy gumline and having to send it back.

Offline Jimal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »
Going to Giordano's was your first mistake. Their claim to fame is *stuffed* pizza, which isn't exactly deep dish.

Also, though it has its fans, Giordano's crust, IMO, is bland and flavorless.  It's last on my list of places to spend money at.  It's a bit of an exaggeration, but it'd be like if I had said, "I finally tried NY style pizza for first time, and it was at Papa John's, and I didn't like it.  Therefore, that style sucks."

Go to Malnati's, brah.  They at least make deep dish as their main line.  Until then, you haven't really had it.

Someone on the internet tells me how everything I did wrong...

No need to be a pizza chauvinist.  It just reveals your ignorance.  The people who say that it isn't pizza are a tiny minority and basically trollish.  I respect all styles.  Any pizza done well is worth trying.

Then tells me why I'M the jerk. This is the internet encapsulated into a single post.

I didn't say I didn't like it. In fact I said the opposite. My comment about Chicago deep-dish not being pizza philosophical and not a criticism of what I had a Giordano's, which as I've now said repeatedly, I liked.

Welcome to people having different opinions from yours.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
to put it in context  you said re: deep dish "it isn't pizza"  on the chicago pizza forum site on pizza making.com  which has thousands and thousands of posts from people very very passionate about chicago pizza, because they love it.  really really love it.  enough to deconstruct recipes and come up with clones, which takes a lot of time.  not days...in some cases years.....to perfect.

the equivalent would be you going to a chicago blackhawks playoff game at home in Chicago, sitting amongst a group of jersey wearing uber blackhawks fans and yelling "I think the blackhawks suck at hockey!!!"  so understandably your opinion's reception probably wouldn't be the warmest.... but take it with the grain of salt!!  people here are very very passionate but will ultimately help you with recipes and advice any time, and will offer a ton of encouragement!! 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:51:08 PM by mrmojo1 »
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Qapla

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
It's kind of like going to Texas and saying that the chilli, because it didn't have beans wasn't chilli ......

Or, in the NE US saying that, because the chilli DID have benas, it wasn't chilli .......

trust me .... I'm on a BBQ forum

Now, as for Chicago Deep Dish ...... I'm sure it has as many different renditions as NY style does. It has been too many years and I was too young when we left the Chicago area ...... so, I won't comment on how genuine what you had was.

Just make sure you continue your quest for pizza and post often

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »
I'm a New Yorker but enjoy eating Chicago deep dish pizza.  I like Malnati's I always make sure to go there when I land in Chicago.    It's different obviously, but it is still pizza in my book.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 09:21:59 PM »
I'm from chicago and chicago thin is my favorite and then 2nd is chicago deep dish, malnatis, Ginos, original Unos!   but i will eat a slice of new york any day of the week!!  especially a fresh good slice!!!!! 

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline mvnolan

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
Real chili doesn't have beans.....  Just saying....   :-D

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 09:20:08 PM »
thats what i have learned!  and from this site nonetheless on another thread!  my whole life i have been eating what is referred to as bean soup!!

-John Candy(Stripes)