A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chorizo  (Read 471 times)

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
Chorizo
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:04:27 AM »
Today I bought a Spanish Chorizo rope  that I'm going to dice up and put on my next pizza.  I don't see chorizo mentioned much on this forum but it's quite common to see it as a topping choice in the UK.  I believe in the States you might see Mexican Chorizo more often which is a little different?

Does anyone know about storage? most of them I've seen say either 2-3 days, some 5 days.  But  I hear people say they keep theirs for weeks even months with no problems.   

Mine was in the chilled section, but some are not chilled. I have no idea why that is.    It's ready to eat, not raw.

I believe you can get raw chorizo from deli counters.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Chorizo
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:55:11 AM »
Mexican chorizo is raw; Spanish is dry-cured (uncooked, but preserved). The only things they have in common is the name and that they are both delicious and that they are great as pizza toppings.

There are many variations of Spanish chorizo from the different regions of Spain. Not all varieties are fully-cured. Most are and should be fine stored in a cool spot. I dry-cure chorizo in 5-pound batches about once a year and store them in the freezer is vac pouches just out of an abundance of caution.

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
Re: Chorizo
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 07:27:08 AM »
A little south of where I live in SE Massachusetts, there is a strong Portuguese presence in towns like Fall River and New Bedford.  Possibly due to this, I find that, although not common, it's not unheard of to find chorizo as a pizza topping.  However, at non-chain pizza joints, its close cousin linguica is very common.
--pat--

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress