A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough doesn't seem right after cold ferment  (Read 303 times)

Offline tfox39

• I Love Pizza!
Dough doesn't seem right after cold ferment
« on: September 20, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
I've been using the following recipe listed below for a batch of 4 dough balls for 14" pizza. The taste and texture after cooking always turn out great, but I just feel like when I pull the dough out of the fridge after a few days it seems a little off from what I'd expect (or I could just be totally wrong). I use a kitchenaid and mix everything until I get the right consistency. I then hand kneed it before balling it up and storing them individually in plastic tupperware with a little oil rubbed around the base. Before going in the fridge, the dough is what I'd say, tacky. The photo attached is a ball right before going in the fridge. Now, during the proofing, after a few days it nearly fills the whole tupperwear container it is in. It sometimes forms a large bubble on top as well. When I pull it out (I have been doing so usually after two days, sometimes 3), it is pretty gassy. I flip the tupperware and let it fall straight onto the counter to sit for an hour/1.5 hours. When I start to shape the dough, it seems way too easy to play with it. I don't really have to do any crazy stretching. I mostly just use my fingertips and press outward to stretch it out to the desired size. Now my method of baking is with the pizza tray, so I stretch it out over the grated tray and then load up the toppings. I toss that in for about 5 minutes at 550 degrees, and then transfer from top rack to a pizza stone on bottom rack. I switched to this method because I was having difficulties with either launching the pie or if I had a successful launch, it would seem to tear while on the stone. I just got a blackstone pizza oven and am going to attempt that this weekend, and plan on making a batch of dough tonight, so I would love to see if there is something wrong in my recipe, or if there is something else I should be doing to make the dough hold a little bit better. To reiterate, my main concern is that I feel like the dough after cold ferment seems way too stretchy, enough that if you dumped it in your hand from the tupperwear, it would almost "run" over your hand. Below is the recipe and a few photos.

Thanks!

Using King Arthur Bread Flour (I'm in Atlanta, so "room temp" is hot)
Flour (100%):    1108.86 g  |  39.11 oz | 2.44 lbs
Water (61%):    676.4 g  |  23.86 oz | 1.49 lbs
IDY (.25%):    2.77 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.92 tsp | 0.31 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):    19.4 g | 0.68 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.48 tsp | 1.16 tbsp
Oil (1%):    11.09 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.46 tsp | 0.82 tbsp
Sugar (1.3%):    14.42 g | 0.51 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.62 tsp | 1.21 tbsp
Total (165.3%):   1832.94 g | 64.65 oz | 4.04 lbs | TF = 0.105
Single Ball:   458.24 g | 16.16 oz | 1.01 lbs
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:38:52 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Dough doesn't seem right after cold ferment
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »
I'm guessing that your dough might be over fermented as you noted that the dough is very easy to open and has a tendency to tear (both potential indicators of over fermentation). What is your finished dough temperature (as it comes off of the mixer)? Ideally, it should be between 65 and 70F. You then place the dough balls into plastic containers, do you cover them right away? It is preferable to allow them to remain uncovered in the fridge for at least 2-hours before lidding the containers.
This might help if you are not already doing it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline tfox39

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »
I'm guessing that your dough might be over fermented as you noted that the dough is very easy to open and has a tendency to tear (both potential indicators of over fermentation). What is your finished dough temperature (as it comes off of the mixer)? Ideally, it should be between 65 and 70F. You then place the dough balls into plastic containers, do you cover them right away? It is preferable to allow them to remain uncovered in the fridge for at least 2-hours before lidding the containers.
This might help if you are not already doing it.
I think it is usually getting closer to the 70 degree mark. And no, I have been closing the lids immediately upon balling them and placing them in the fridge. I will definitely try that. With that in mind, should I also cut down on my ferment time? Like I said, I have been usually doing 2-3 days, as it typically doesn't rise much at all after one.

Also, should I be wary of anything with this flour/recipe when cooking at the higher temp with the Blackstone oven?

Thanks!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:43:27 PM »

Two to three days is a very realistic goal, I'd stay with that but make the change of not lidding the containers until they have been in the fridge for at least 2-hours to see if that helps any. One thing I learned in research many years ago is to change only one thing at a time.

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
Here's a link to TXCraig1's yeast fermentation prediction chart, I've been using it for quite a while now with success.  Helps to have accurate thermometers in your fridge near where you plan to place the doughballs and also in your house for ambient RT fermentation's.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg349349.html#msg349349