A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough Capacity for Kitchenaid Pro 600  (Read 3705 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Dough Capacity for Kitchenaid Pro 600
« on: May 30, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »
I have a similar question that Mark had here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31571.0

Mine is about the Kitchenaid Pro 600.

I have previously made batches as large as 6 doughs @250 g each = 1500 grams.

Tonight, I am planning on mixing 8 doughs for a total of 2000 grams.

According to the manual for the mixer, I can make up to "8 1/4 bread loaves."  In their recipes, they call for 5-6 cups of all purpose flour for a 2 loaf recipe.  They are not specific about the weight of a cup of flour and I know that can be all over the map.  Mostly, the range is within 4 - 5 cups, depending on whatever.  So, using both midpoints, I get an estimate of 5.5 cups X 4.5 ounces per cup X 28.4 grams per ounce = 703 grams for the 2 loaf recipe.

At a capacity of 8 1/4 loaves, that is 703 * 8.25/2 = 2900 grams as the mixer capacity for bread dough.

So, according to Kitchenaid, I have a big margin of safety since I would be making a batch at about 2/3 of their stated capacity.  If I aim low in my estimate, I can use (for 8 1/4 bread loaves) 5 cups @ 4 ounces per cup.  So, 5*4*28.4*8.25/2 = 2343 grams of flour capacity.  So, I am still lower at about 85% of capacity.

Does anyone have any experience at how far you can safely push these mixers?  Does my reasoning sound right (i.e. can I depend on the Kitchenaid folks assertions?)?

Thanks,
Mitch
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough Capacity for Kitchenaid Pro 600
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
Well, no takers yet, but tonight is the night.

I possibly answered my own question.  I did an online chat with the Kitchenaid people.  They said

"You can use up to 14 total cups of ingredients that include all purpose flour or up to 8 total cups of ingredients that include any other types of flour or heavy ingredients. Be sure you don't go over speed two."

I will assume a cup of all purpose is 4 ounces (going low deliberately to be conservative) and cup of water is about 8.  Also, assume the hydration is 63%.  So, the flour is 100/163*2000 grams = 1227 grams.  At 4 ounces per cup, that is 114 grams per cup.  That would be 10.76 cups of flour.  The water would be 773 grams, or 27.2 ounces.  At 8 ounces (it is really 8.3) per cup, that is  3.4 cups.

A total of 14 cups.  So, I will be at or near capacity. 

Odd ways of measuring things.....

Does this sound like "if Johnny gets on the train in Chicago and the train goes north at 30 miles per hour, and his sister leaves St. Louis at 3 pm, etc"?

- Mitch
Mitch

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »
Mitch, can't help much, since I don't have that mixer, I had a lot of trouble following your math, and not sure I understand what they are saying.  My guess is that when they are talking total ingredients -   that they are not including the liquid as an ingredient,  because if I put in 4 cups of whole wheat flour, I don't think the mixer would care whether I added 2 cups or 4 cups of water - since drier hydrations can, in some cases, but more of a load on a mixer than wetter hydrations, but what do I know.  My only suggestion is watch the machine closely, if it gets hot, let it cool down, if it starts growling or groaning, stop, and divide the batch in two - no point busting a machine when you can knead a second batch.  Be sure to post your results. 

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:06:25 PM »
From what I reckon, you are right, they were figuring total ingredients - that if the recipe was based on all purpose, then you could go to 14 cups of total ingredients.

My math was that, depending on how many ounces of flour they assume for a cup, you will get different answers.  I took the most conservative approach and came up with right about 14 cups.

It is hydrating right now with about 75% of the flour.  I will add the rest in gradually, which is my typical process, after it hydrates for 20 minutes or more. 

To your point, they say not to go over speed 2.    And, you are right, I should to push it to getting hot, etc.  the mixer was a lot more $dough$ than the pizza dough.

Thanks for the comments. 

- Mitch
Mitch

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »
The Kitchenaid Pro 600 came through with flying colors.  I followed the guidance from them and never went over speed 2.  I actually never do anyway except perhaps for the last minute or so.  I usually keep it on "stir" for the first few minutes while adding the flour and then move it up to speed 1 and 2 for the last 3 minutes (total 10 minutes not including the initial partial mix).

The housing got a bit warm but was never hot.  And, the machine never groaned.

2028 grams / 71.4 ounces / 4.5 pounds.  I think that is as far as I will ever push my luck.

If the pizza does not come out good, I will not be able to blame it on the mixer.

- Mitch
Mitch

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
Mitch,  glad to hear it worked well, and 4.5 pounds is a lot of dough  -  hope you enjoy the pizzas.

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 04:08:17 PM »
I do a batch a week (at least) of 5 doughballs at 420 grams each. Mixer does well, but at that capacity the bowl is slightly too small and dough will start to climb up the hook. I been doing this a couple years and its still kicking! (knock on wood).

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
Mitch, I just saw this post. I do 2800g regularly in my K5SS which I think is at least a quart smaller.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline GumbaWill

• Many paths lead to the same destination
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 02:27:45 PM »
The Kitchenaid Pro 600 came through with flying colors.  I followed the guidance from them and never went over speed 2.  I actually never do anyway except perhaps for the last minute or so.  I usually keep it on "stir" for the first few minutes while adding the flour and then move it up to speed 1 and 2 for the last 3 minutes (total 10 minutes not including the initial partial mix).

The housing got a bit warm but was never hot.  And, the machine never groaned.

2028 grams / 71.4 ounces / 4.5 pounds.  I think that is as far as I will ever push my luck.

If the pizza does not come out good, I will not be able to blame it on the mixer.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,
 I know this is a very old thread. However I have the same Kitchenaid pro 6. Last week I made a batch of 3 dough balls a total of 1554 grams. I had it turned up to high. I did get though the mix without ever going into safety shutoff. But it did get very hot. I did some reading and learned a lot about my seldom used mixer. Namely not to go over #2 for dough. Now my question, today I made the same dough, in a four ball batch. 2,072 grams @ 63% hydration.This time I did not go over #2, the dough was nicely done in 5 min. and the mixer was just warm. The problem on speed two The dough kept climbing right up the hook. I pulled it off twice, only to have climb right back up. Do you have this happen to you? How do you deal with it? Thanks to anyone for any feedback.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 03:35:01 PM »
I never had trouble with dough climbing the dough hook.  Maybe someone else can comment.

My issues with the mixer were about the gears (they are plastic) stripping and the mixer getting so hot there was smoke.  There are some people that buy the gears and replace them do-it-yourself, but I am too clumsy for that and did not want to deal with the greasy mess.  So, I paid someone to replace the gears and they stripped out again within a couple of months.

Sadly, I dumped it.
Mitch

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
I never had trouble with dough climbing the dough hook.  Maybe someone else can comment.

My issues with the mixer were about the gears (they are plastic) stripping and the mixer getting so hot there was smoke.  There are some people that buy the gears and replace them do-it-yourself, but I am too clumsy for that and did not want to deal with the greasy mess.  So, I paid someone to replace the gears and they stripped out again within a couple of months.

Sadly, I dumped it.

I think mine has the plastic gears too. Fyi, the newer, (last 6 years) pro series Kitchenaid mixers are all metal gears. What mixer did you end up with? If this one burns out, ( Which I can see happening) I am going to take a hard look at the Bosh  mixers.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
I think mine has the plastic gears too. Fyi, the newer, (last 6 years) pro series Kitchenaid mixers are all metal gears. What mixer did you end up with? If this one burns out, ( Which I can see happening) I am going to take a hard look at the Bosh  mixers.

I go the Bosch Universal along with the shredder for cheese.  I think that "quietdesperation" has the Bosch Compact.

This thing could mix forever without getting hot.  And, it is very lightweight to move around the kitchen compared to the KA.  I really like the way it shreds mozzarella.

It is a little temperamental with smaller batches.  I complained about bagel mixing, in particular, and they sent me their "dough divider" (a discontinued item).  It works great for that purpose.  I find that letting a batch hydrate for awhile, even if you need a little manual intervention, goes a very long way in getting the mixer started successfully with a small batch.  This mixer shines with a big size batch.  Mentioning this in case you want to consider the Compact which may be better for small batches.  I don't know.

Here is a thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49680.msg499513#msg499513
Mitch

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 05:12:22 PM »
I go the Bosch Universal along with the shredder for cheese.  I think that "quietdesperation" has the Bosch Compact.

This thing could mix forever without getting hot.  And, it is very lightweight to move around the kitchen compared to the KA.  I really like the way it shreds mozzarella.

It is a little temperamental with smaller batches.  I complained about bagel mixing, in particular, and they sent me their "dough divider" (a discontinued item).  It works great for that purpose.  I find that letting a batch hydrate for awhile, even if you need a little manual intervention, goes a very long way in getting the mixer started successfully with a small batch.  This mixer shines with a big size batch.  Mentioning this in case you want to consider the Compact which may be better for small batches.  I don't know.

Here is a thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49680.msg499513#msg499513

Thanks for the review! Always good to get a known real review. I have time, (Knock on wood) to research which size would better fit my needs. But you confirmed for me, my next mixer will not be the Kitchenaid! Thanks for your help, I am going to head over to the thread you mentioned.

wordpress