A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The World is Going Ziploc  (Read 897 times)

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
The World is Going Ziploc
« on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:48 AM »
One of the great epiphanies in my journey to better pizza was to discover the Tom Lehmann method of storing individual dough balls in plastic bags.  Gone are the tupperware, the specialized proofing containers made of aluminum and the polypropylene dough trays.  At a nickel apiece, the humble plastic bag gets the job done with distinction - it saves you space in the fridge, it spares you the hassle of extra work at the dish-washing sink, and, most importantly, it swaddles and shields your dough balls like a finely tailored bespoke suit.  Our beloved Dough Doctor has always recommended the twist-tie food storage bag.  Twist the open end into a ponytail and tuck it underneath the dough ball - a perfect method for shielding the dough ball from the elements while at the same time allowing fermentation gases to escape. Brilliant!  But along with the Dough Doctor's instructions always comes the admonishment NOT to use Ziploc bags.  I'll not go into the reasons why, but suffice it to say that, after 50 years in the pizza game, the Dough Doctor "knows his onions".

After visiting several supermarkets, dollar stores, shop marts etc., I was horrified to discover that the lowly twist-tie food storage bag is becoming an endangered species.  The shelves are filled row upon row with boxes of the dreaded Ziploc variety.  What in the Sam Hill is going on?

Yes, I finally found some at an ethnic supermarket but I still feel compelled to share this minor rant.

Rolls
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?  A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Re: The World is Going Ziploc
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
my grocery store (Stop & Shop)  as well as Walmart have the twist tie bags.  they are cheap
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Twist-Tie-Storage-Bags-Extra-Large-Gallon-100-Count/11303925

here is the walmart link, they have them at stock where I live today
Deb

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 11:00:15 AM »
my grocery store (Stop & Shop)  as well as Walmart have the twist tie bags.  they are cheap

Hoard as many as you can.  The Ziploc invasion has already begun.

Rolls

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »
Rolls,

In the past, before I read about Tom's suggestion, I played around with using Zip-type storage bags. You can see some of such uses, and the reasons for same, at:

Reply 132 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.msg10461#msg10461, and in the links provided at:

Reply 22 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37436.msg374675#msg374675, and

Reply 55 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1298.msg12150;topicseen#msg12150.

As they say, necessity is the mother of invention ;D.

Peter

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »
Amazon.com is your friend.
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
Walmart - though they are often out, so I buy a couple boxes at a time.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bradtri

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »
Food bags from webstaurant.com

I buy a 1000 at a time.  I get the 10x4x20 size.

They work awesome for storing leftovers of pizza or anything else in the freezer. 
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »
...and as far as twist ties, Lowe's/Home Depot sells twist tie material on a reel with an attached cutter.  Look in the outdoor garden area where they stock the hanging garden supports, pots, etc.
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
I use ziplock sometimes, but not for pizza. When I do use it for food, I try to take care not to puncture it, so I can wash the bag and use again.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  As I say, for some reason, around here (Toronto), the twist tie bags seem to be disappearing, or at least harder to find.  They were never available even at my local Walmart. Used to buy them at the dollar store (Glad brand) but, alas, no more.  I'll probably end up getting a box of 500 from a wholesaler, since I don't really like ordering stuff online.

Peter, it was fun reading about your exploits with the Ziploc bags and the drinking straws. Yes, necessity is indeed the mother of invention :-D.

Rolls

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  As I say, for some reason, around here (Toronto), the twist tie bags seem to be disappearing, or at least harder to find

Quadruple bag your produce at Loblaws.  >:D

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 12:23:32 AM »

I always pick up Stop and Shop mayo and stone ground mustard when we visit the in-laws in MA.  Great products.
John

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 12:29:20 AM »
Walmart - though they are often out, so I buy a couple boxes at a time.

I've given up on Walmart.  Always empty shelf space where what I want to buy is supposed to be.
John

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »
I've been using Walmart's online purchase a lot, whether or not it's in-stock locally, shipped to me ($35+ gets you free shipping) or picking up in-store if it's something I think UPS might destroy. "Walmart is trying to become Amazon before Amazon can become Walmart." Play them against each other!   :-D
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 09:22:21 PM »
I also have found them harder to find for quite some time. As mentioned, when I do find them I stock up!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady