A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hobart Tallboy Dough Riding Up  (Read 236 times)

Offline konastab01

• I Love Pizza!
Hobart Tallboy Dough Riding Up
« on: November 03, 2018, 09:07:29 PM »
I have a Hobart Tallboy 10L i think it is, Im having a issue that the dough rides up the hook and isn't mixing properly so I need to finish it by hand usually but im starting to do big amounts so Thats isn't ideal.

Im using about 60% hydration usually put the flour in and water . Salt and remaining water last.

Not sure what im doing wrong with it tbh.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Hobart Tallboy Dough Riding Up
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 12:57:46 AM »
Try putting all of the water in, then add the salt and sugar(if used) to the water, add the flour and the yeast on top of the flour, use the delayed oil mixing procedure, see if that works any better....it might help a bit but I think your problem might be with your dough hook being a common "J" hook rather than the much improved reverse spiral dough arm which was designed back in the early 1970's to address this very problem. That might be the good news, the bad news could be that there is no reverse spiral dough arm made for your mixer, do an internet search as well as contact the Hobart Corporation in Troy, Ohio (USA) to see if they have any or if there is any compatibility with  another size Hobart Planetary mixer (this would be a very long shot).
If you can send us a picture of your dough hook I'm sure we can identify it for you pretty easily.
One last thing, the problem with the dough climbing up on the hook is usually at its worst when mixing smaller dough sizes and very large dough sizes (based on bowl capacity). Mixing intermediate size doughs and using a higher mixing speed can help in many cases.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 01:10:13 AM »
I've also found oiling the upper third of the hook or spiral arm can help some, worth a try....
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline RossoBiancoVerde

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
Thanks Jackitup and Tom, I'm gonna give that a try!

Offline Brent-r

• Love the new 'real' wood fired Fontana oven
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:46:38 PM »
You could try contacting these guys in Holland if you need a rev. spiral hook.   I got one for our Kitchen Aid and it is beautifully made and works well.

https://www.superdoughhook.com/

they did respond to my emails promptly
Brent

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress