A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dimensions for a wood proofing box?  (Read 124 times)

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what am I :)
Dimensions for a wood proofing box?
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
I am investigating buying a wine fridge to better control proofing temperatures.

I would like to make wooden proofing boxes to put into it, though not quite sure what dimension would be ideal, or maybe what is the minimum needed for a 250g ball, guessing 5-6" (12.5-15cm)?
Effeuno P134H, Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Caputo Pizzeria, Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Dimensions for a wood proofing box?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
The size of your dough fermentation box will need to be based on the spacing of the shelf rails in the wine cooler. If it doesn't have shelf rails then we typically size the boxes to be 25mm narrower and 50mm shorter than the inside dimension of the cooler box. As for height I'd suggest something about 75mm in height.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what am I :)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks Tom!

Am trying to figure out what kind of configuration for the fridge.  Maybe one for 4x4 bottles would be good.  Looks like I might be able to fit in a box giving me about 12x12" (30x30cm), so 4 balls.  I am starting from the area/volume needed by the balls to chose the fridge, once acquired I'll measure and make sure the boxes fit well too :)

I normally make 3-4 pizzas occasionally 6-8.  Possibly I could get even 5 trays into it, so it would be a maximum of 20 balls, which I don't for see doing, but one never knows :)  But suppose one would better leave some air to circulate too, but ought to be possible to put 2/3 trays and/or some bottles in it.
Effeuno P134H, Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Caputo Pizzeria, Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:36:53 AM »
Plan on placing the dough balls 2 to 2.5-inches apart which is a pretty standard spacing to allow for expansion of the dough balls. But do keep in mind that expansion of the dough balls is something that I cannot predict as it is influenced by a number of factors such as dough temperature, dough absorption, dough viscosity, amount of yeast used in the formulation, dough management procedure being employed, and how tightly the dough balls are rounded.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress