A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cauliflower crust Pizza  (Read 1383 times)

Offline wingchunpizza

• pic or it didn't happen...
Cauliflower crust Pizza
« on: January 09, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »
As much as I love pizza, it's just not diet friendly. Especially if you're doing low carb. I spent literally years developing what, to my mind, is the perfect pizza(if there is such a thing). Anyway, after about 3 solid years I nailed the exact taste and structure I was searching for in a pizza. The last stumbling block was finding the perfect mozzarella for a NY style pie. BTW, if any of you have a US Foods CHEF STORE near by, I highly recommend their Harvest Value Whole Milk Low Moisture Mozzarella. It is amazing, so much so, that I sent three emails to their help department trying to find who produced it for them because I'm certain it's produced by one of the top industry brands. Maybe Grande, IDK but grab it if you can.

Regardless, having started a low carb diet I only get traditional pizza every once in a while. I've been dabbling in making low carb pizza crusts for a few weeks now. Below is a cauliflower crust pizza, which is fairly big in the keto community. It's better than it sounds.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:54:53 PM by wingchunpizza »
Because donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: Cauliflower crust Pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

I've always been curious about cauliflower crust pizza, but never got around to playing with it. I guess my $1 million question is: How much does it taste like regular pizza, and how much does it taste like caulifloewr? :(

Offline wingchunpizza

• pic or it didn't happen...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
A cauliflower crust pizza surprisingly enough actually doesn't taste like cauliflower. Cauliflower has such a mild taste that I think all of the other ingredients overpower it. As I stated in the video, the biggest thing about the crust is that it doesn't have the same feel or crunch as a traditional flour crust. No matter what you do it, it will never get that crunch either. As you saw in the video I did above the crust got quite dark. Not burnt by any means, it still doesn't crunch.

There are a number of other ways to make a low carb pizza if that's what you're interest in. I'm still putting together videos on how to make those as well.
Because donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 05:38:52 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

I've always been curious about cauliflower crust pizza, but never got around to playing with it. I guess my $1 million question is: How much does it taste like regular pizza, and how much does it taste like caulifloewr? :(

It's missing the yeast/fermentation, so it tastes kind of like a tortilla pizza, only made of vegetables!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »
As much as I love pizza, it's just not diet friendly. Especially if you're doing low carb. I spent literally years developing what, to my mind, is the perfect pizza(if there is such a thing). Anyway, after about 3 solid years I nailed the exact taste and structure I was searching for in a pizza. The last stumbling block was finding the perfect mozzarella for a NY style pie. BTW, if any of you have a US Foods CHEF STORE near by, I highly recommend their Harvest Value Whole Milk Low Moisture Mozzarella. It is amazing, so much so, that I sent three emails to their help department trying to find who produced it for them because I'm certain it's produced by one of the top industry brands. Maybe Grande, IDK but grab it if you can.

Regardless, having started a low carb diet I only get traditional pizza every once in a while. I've been dabbling in making low carb pizza crusts for a few weeks now. Below is a cauliflower crust pizza, which is fairly big in the keto community. It's better than it sounds.

I'm on a quest to find good mozzarella where I am and happen to have access to the Harvest Value mozzarella. Are you still enjoying it? What would you compare it to? Trying to avoid buying 6 lbs of cheese just to try it. Haha.

Thanks!

Offline petef

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 12:36:39 AM »
Thanks for posting this.

Past 2 months I've tried making a low carb pizza crust and made a similar one as shown in the video posted  here. Best I can describe the taste is... It's not really tasting like pizza, but more like eggplant Parmesan. I mean it tastes ok, but it's not pizza.

Also, the texture is best described as "soft" to the tooth. You bite into it and instead of having that resistance or chewyness that normal bread flour gives, it gives way and feels soft to the chew.

If you are determined to go low carb, it's an acceptable substitute for pizza but not really pizza. That's why I decided to keep experimenting and go with "REDUCED CARB" pizza instead which is about half the carbs of normal pizza and uses a small amount of bread flour combined with the cauliflower in order to improve the texture and taste.

I'll post my results & recipe in a separate thread, but here's what it is in a nutshell. To reduce the cauliflower (CF) taste, I soak the fine ground CF in white vinegar flavored with with fresh garlic for at least 2 hours. Then I squeeze dry it as shown in the video, followed by toasting it in a non-stick pan to get most of the moisture out. 

After that I add a considerable amount of garlic power, onion powder, and fine ground Parmesan cheese to the toasted CF for flavor.

For texture & rise & flavor, I use some bread flour, IDY, and also baking soda. The baking soda should have a good reaction to the acid of the vinegar I put into the CF.

End result, no CF taste! :)  The rise I'm getting is not as good as my normal pizza, but it's greatly improved over the straight CF recipes I've tried. Best part, it's something I can actually call pizza. I'll make a separate post on "Reduced Carb pizza by petef"

--pete--

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 01:07:47 AM »
Cauli - flour. Love it. I need to make some. I feel much better when I eat low-carb.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline petef

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 03:03:58 AM »
Cauli - flour. Love it. I need to make some. I feel much better when I eat low-carb.

Welcome to the "low carb" club, I'm sure you can come up with some improvements to make these taste more like real pizza.

Most often the motivation for going "low carb" is to keep blood glucose (BG) levels from spiking or for keeping them under control. Be it for weight loss, or diabetes, or just feeling better.

My idea to go "reduced carb" instead of "low carb" by using a combo of CF and Bread Flour may be more successful at controlling BG levels than one might think by counting carbs alone. Reason being, FIBER helps to control BG levels. So combining the CF with the BF effectively adds fiber to the recipe and that might help to keep BG levels under control.

Yesterday, I had 3 slices of my "reduced carb" CF/BF pizza which is about 30 to 40 carbs including the sauce. 1 hour after eating it I measured my BG level and it was 118 which is well within normal range.

In comparison to that, a week or so ago, I ate a Wendy's small Jr. burger and small fries which is 70 carbs and 1 hour later my BG level was 184!!! That's way high, outside of normal range, and unacceptable. This tells me I'm on the right track with my "reduced carb" pizza recipe. :)

If you say you feel better after eating low carb, it might be a sign that you are becoming insulin resistant which can lead to diabetes. Fortunately it can be reversed quite easily if caught in the early stages. One easy way to find out is to buy a BG meter and test yourself after eating pizza or other foods high in carbs. The normal BG range is 80 to 125 even after eating a meal.

I use the ReliOn Meter from Walmart which is easy to use and low cost compared to other meters on the market. I have a more expensive one too and the ReliOn gives readings within a few points to that one and that's close enough. For less than $30 you can get the meter, test strips, and lancets which is all you need to get started.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Prime-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System-Blue/20752266

It's just a suggestion for you or anyone else going "low carb" who also wants to know how foods are affecting them in a more scientific manner.

--pete--

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 09:48:58 AM »
Welcome to the "low carb" club,

I haven't said much about it, but I've been low-carb and almost gluten-free for over a year now. I still make pizza, I just rarely eat it. Which sucks.  It's cut my blood pressure by 25%, and I feel a LOT better.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline petef

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
I haven't said much about it, but I've been low-carb and almost gluten-free for over a year now. I still make pizza, I just rarely eat it. Which sucks.  It's cut my blood pressure by 25%, and I feel a LOT better.

In May 2018 I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes & high BP. I went immediately on a low carb diet typically 40 to 60 carbs per day. Within 3 weeks I was off the Metformin diabetes drug and controlling my BG levels with diet alone and eating small meals. In 2 months I lost 10 pounds.  BP is now 147/85.

Fast forward, and long story short, I found some life changing info that anyone at risk for  high BP, diabetes, heart disease, or just wants to lose some weight should be aware of. Dr Fung's info was recommended to me by someone on this forum and it's changed my life. I'm well on my way to reversing my type 2 diabetes, lowering BP and working on a plan to get back to my ideal weight.

This is a 6 part series but I recommend starting with part 2 because it sums up part 1 well enough and part 1 shows various charts & graphs but you can't actually read the text due to poor video resolution. This is fantastic info that could potentially get us back on track and able to eat pizza again without causing any health problems.

See what you think.

--pete--

Offline pizzainthe6ix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
Have you developed any GF pizza's you really like?

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »
I think carbs get a bad rap - complex carbs are OK as long as they are not refined. They are classified as Unrefined Complex Carbohydrates (UCC). Things like whole potatoes, whole grains and legumes. They can provide sustained energy & satiety w/o giving your blood sugar a belly punch.

On the flip side, there are simple carbs like syrup, juice, soda, table sugar. no fiber and they spike your blood sugar.

Also there are Refined Complex Carbohydrates (RCC) like white flour, think white bread and white pasta, crackers. They will spike your blood sugar much more that UCC, and usually most of the fiber has been removed so they are less filling too. Simple carbs and RCC are always higher in calories per pound (typically 1200-1800 per pound) compared to UCC that come in at 400-600 calories per pound.

Diets like Atkins / keto are low carb but they are not healthy in the long run - remember the number one killer is heart attacks, you can manage your blood sugar and live longer eating a healthy diet that contains some UCCs.

Just my 2 cents - live long and prosper :-)

PS Gluten intolerance / celiac is a different subject!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:52:49 PM by norcoscia »
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline petef

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
Diets like Atkins / keto are low carb but they are not healthy in the long run - remember the number one killer is heart attacks, you can manage your blood sugar and live longer eating a healthy diet that contains some UCCs.
I agree with all of your post, except the above. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's I haven't seen enough convincing evidence to say that the Keto diet/lifestyle is causing heart attacks. If you know of such studies, please guide me to them. I do have an open mind. :)

Seems to me, when you look at all the recent research & info & anecdotal testimony from a wide range of sources on what's the healthiest LONG TERM diet regimen, it's the Whole Food Plant based diet combined with periodic FASTING. You might be right about KETO. It might be best used for short term weight loss only and NOT for long term health, but I'm still not researched well enough on that to debate the issue.

Intermediate or prolonged FASTING has got my attention right now, mainly because it seems the only weight loss strategy that actually increases your metabolism, whereas all the others decreases metabolism. My goal being to lose more weight until I achieve my ideal weight and to completely reverse my Type 2 diabetes. After that, I'd like to go back to eating real pizza on some kind of routine basis. If it takes some kind of periodic FASTING and/or special diet regimen to get there, I'm willing to do it.

I recently became aware of Dr Jason Fung who explains how FASTING works successfully compared to the conventional regimen of "eat less/exercise more" which usually fails over the long term.  He also has a 6 part series that is excellent for understanding the various diets as related to various diseases, weight loss or gain, and a healthy lifestyle. I can't say enough good words about this guy.

--pete--

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:27:13 PM by petef »

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 05:52:29 PM »
Hi pete - I'm not a diet nutrition expert so it is just my opinion based on all of the information I have been exposed to - and I think that if anyone wants to find a study that goes one way or the other they can - BTW, the same goes for the stuff I was talking about.

I just wanted to point out that all carbs are not that same (IMO). I don't follow the keto diet but my wife did mention to me that it is "usually" meat and dairy heavy since it is high protein high fat / low carb and I'm pretty sure there is consensus in the medical community that meat and dairy heavy diets have a link to heart disease.

But I do like a good steak and tonight I'm making smash burgers - so I'm not one to criticize anyone or anyones diet.

I usually listen to my wife but deep down I think eating like people did as we evolved is likely the best thing - for most of the time before civilization very primitive humans ate what they could find (likely fasted even if they did not want to) and every once in a while found an egg in a bird's nest or tackled an unlucky rabbit that wandered into their cave.  I doubt they had any dairy or got to eat much meat. So my new motto is -- eat like a cave man  :-D
Norm

Offline petef

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
Hi pete - I'm not a diet nutrition expert so it is just my opinion based on all of the information I have been exposed to - and I think that if anyone wants to find a study that goes one way or the other they can - BTW, the same goes for the stuff I was talking about.
I agree, it's easy to be misled to believe what one wants to believe. :) My approach is to take in as much info as possible from a wide variety of sources and then use logic, reasoning, and personal experience to sort it all out. So far, this Dr Fung guy seems to make the most sense. Now for the test! I've begun the intermittent FASTING this week. Let's see how it goes. :)

I usually listen to my wife but deep down I think eating like people did as we evolved is likely the best thing - for most of the time before civilization very primitive humans ate what they could find (likely fasted even if they did not want to) and every once in a while found an egg in a bird's nest or tackled an unlucky rabbit that wandered into their cave.  I doubt they had any dairy or got to eat much meat. So my new motto is -- eat like a cave man  :-D
Guess what? That's very close what Dr Fung is saying too.  The guy just makes good sense and he seems to have the data & studies that back it up.

I'm really hoping that someone else on this forum will pick up on Dr Fung's info and apply in real life,  as I am, and we can share our experiences here on the forum to prove that PIZZA can be part of our regular diets and we can cure our own diabetes or weight problems with little or no cost.

Good talking you!

--pete--

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »
I'll check into Dr. Fung more - I have done that I just assumed it was all about meat and dairy - thank for sharing Pete!
Norm