A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My Home Grown Levain  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
My Home Grown Levain
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
I started growing my levain back in August. Going through all of the work of modifying an oven, learning how to develop dough, buying premium ingredient etc. and then using industrial yeast just felt wrong.
She makes the dough taste rich with a complexity of flavors. There is only a very mildly sour taste.

First photo: 10:09 pm

Second photo: Just fed 6:46pm

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:33:47 AM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Dangerous Salumi

Re: My Home Grown Levain
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »
I started growing my levain back in August. Going through all of the work of modifying an oven, learning how to develop dough, buying premium ingredient etc. and then using industrial yeast just felt wrong.
She makes the dough taste rich with a complexity of flavors. There is only a very mildly sour taste.

First photo: 10:09 pm

Second photo: Just fed 6:46pm
Bump
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »
Started level at the top of the blue tape and has double in volume in about 2 hours
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
What temp?

I suggest a straight-sided jar.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 10:46:51 AM »
What temp?

I suggest a straight-sided jar.

Around 72°F.

Have a Dangerous day!

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 11:03:51 AM »
2 hours is quite fast. How did you feed it?

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
2 hours is quite fast. How did you feed it?

Water/flour 100% hydration
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
I meant at which ratios. Seed:flour:water. 1:1:1 or something like that?

Have you started making anything with it yet?

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »
I meant at which ratios. Seed:flour:water. 1:1:1 or something like that?

Have you started making anything with it yet?

Made a lot of pizza with it. You can see my posts.
Feedings have been 50% levain, 25% flour, 25% water by weight
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 07:34:27 PM »
Made a lot of pizza with it. You can see my posts.
Feedings have been 50% levain, 25% flour, 25% water by weight
No wonder it grows so fast. That is a huge amount of levain to start it with......

In my opinion you are missing out on some of the benefits from a long preferment. Including improved structure, more balanced flavor, wider range of usability, better tolerance to over fermenting, etc

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 07:49:41 PM »
No wonder it grows so fast. That is a huge amount of levain to start it with......

In my opinion you are missing out on some of the benefits from a long preferment. Including improved structure, more balanced flavor, wider range of usability, better tolerance to over fermenting, etc

I do and have done many multi-day ferments. You can see my work on my other threads.

Doing this is standard feeding procedure. See the King Aurther site
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:46:42 AM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline bradtri

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »
Sure looks like 1:1:1 to me....
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »

Ive been doing it this way for over a year. Cant image why I'd want to change it. I get nice full rise in our dough balls in little over 2 hours rt and does well in cold ferments and the best part is it tastes better than any pizza we've had.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
Edit: Redacted something.
1:1:1 in volume, but it's more common to use weight, and 4 oz flour is not the same weight as 4 oz water and starter. The first starter I made was with volume and asked for equal amounts of water and flour when making the starter. I ended up with a starter that had far too much liquid.

There's no rule on how you manage your sourdough. If you make something that you like with it and it ferments the dough fine, whatever you do is good. 50%:25%:25% in weight would be 2:1:1, which means the starter will rise pretty quickly.

What's important is the timing of when one uses the starter. A 1:4:4 mix might take 8 hours before you want to use it, while a 2:1:1 is ready in a couple of hours, like DS' does. Leaving a 2:1:1 mix for 8 hours makes it soupy and acidic, which might not make it work like you want to.

If you ever find the doughs to become too tangy and sourdoughy, mixing with less starter might help, but as long as you don't have any problems there's no need to do anyhting. If it works, don't fix it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:22:24 AM by Heikjo »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 10:47:52 AM »
1:1:1 in volume, but it's more common to use weight, and 4 oz flour is not the same weight as 4 oz water and starter. The first starter I made was with volume and asked for equal amounts of water and flour when making the starter. I ended up with a starter that had far too much liquid.

There's no rule on how you manage your sourdough. If you make something that you like with it and it ferments the dough fine, whatever you do is good. 50%:25%:25% in weight would be 2:1:1, which means the starter will rise pretty quickly.

What's important is the timing of when one uses the starter. A 1:4:4 mix might take 8 hours before you want to use it, while a 2:1:1 is ready in a couple of hours, like DS' does. Leaving a 2:1:1 mix for 8 hours makes it soupy and acidic, which might not make it work like you want to.

If you ever find the doughs to become too tangy and sourdoughy, mixing with less starter might help, but as long as you don't have any problems there's no need to do anyhting. If it works, don't fix it.

What gave you the idea that the instructions posted by bradtri were volume?  All amounts are in ounces and they parenthetically give you a volume approximation of ounces in one line. 
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline bradtri

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »

Doing this is standard feeding procedure. See the King Aurther site

Ive been doing it this way for over a year. Cant image why I'd want to change it. I get nice full rise in our dough balls in little over 2 hours rt and does well in cold ferments and the best part is it tastes better than any pizza we've had.

Of course you do...

However, know that there is a monumental difference between " ... this is standard procedure. See the King Arthur site" and "Ive been doing it this way for over a year ... it tastes better than any pizza we've had"

You are certainly entitled to do things your own way as you prefer.

However, posts which claim a standard procedure and improperly reference a major manufacturer's information do a tremendous disservice to those who are newer to the sourdough world and have come here to learn. 
A Taste of Naples Pizza

Offline bradtri

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »
What gave you the idea that the instructions posted by bradtri were volume?  All amounts are in ounces and they parenthetically give you a volume approximation of ounces in one line.

Absolutely correct.  The King Arthur site gives specific instructions on weighing the components for feeding starter.
A Taste of Naples Pizza

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »
Ah, I have once again fallen into the imperial trap. I'm used to metrics, grams, meters etc. The ounces, fluid ounces, gallonz, cups, British versions and American versions and all these things never cease to confuse me. Especially when recipes use fl oz and oz, where one is in volume and the other in weight. You are of course correct.  ;D

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 11:34:35 AM »
Ah, I have once again fallen into the imperial trap. I'm used to metrics, grams, meters etc. The ounces, fluid ounces, gallonz, cups, British versions and American versions and all these things never cease to confuse me. Especially when recipes use fl oz and oz, where one is in volume and the other in weight. You are of course correct.  ;D

It is all pretty silly.  And, no doubt, it creates unhelpful confusion.  Like you, I tend to stick with grams by weight. 

8)

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »

However, posts which claim a standard procedure and improperly reference a major manufacturer's information do a tremendous disservice to those who are newer to the sourdough world and have come here to learn.

Seems like sour dough drama to me
Have a Dangerous day!