A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago style with dual thermostat oven  (Read 488 times)

Offline mike__

• I Love Pizza!
Chicago style with dual thermostat oven
« on: January 10, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »
I am going to try Chicago style with Tony Gs recipe using a Lloyd Pans 11 inch hard anodized aluminum pan.  I have a counter top 220v electric oven with top and bottom temperature controls and 1 1/4 inch biscotto saputo stone.  The oven max temp is 825F and I get good results with a 50-60 minute warm up at 675F bottom and 600F top with New York style pies. 

My question is what temperature settings  top and bottom should I use for Chicago style with this pan, and how long should I bake?

Thanks

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Chicago style with dual thermostat oven
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
i cook my thin crust tavern style pizzas in a season pan directly on a stone. pre-heated at 550F for 1 hour.  i usually i cook for 11-12 mins.  i do have raw sausage on my pies.   
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:04:27 AM »
Place a screen under the pan, and bake at 500F for about 30-minutes. In Chicago the Middleby-Marshall reel type ovens are the oven of choice for the deep-dish pizzas. This is why the wait is always a minimum of 45-minutes for a deep-dish pizza in Chicago....that is if there are no other orders stacked up in front of yours.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline mike__

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:56:44 PM »
Tom

Thanks for the response, should I set top and bottom temp controls to 500F?   Curious about why a screen under pan.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
I think doing 500 F on top and bottom would be a good place to start.

You place a screen underneath the pan to prevent burning the bottom.   Getting the bottom done doesn't seem to be a problem with deep dish, but having the underside of the crust charred is horrible after you have done to all that work to make a great pizza. 

Also, I watch the top of the pizza and often place a sheet of aluminum foil over it when it starts to brown to prevent the top rim from becoming overdone.  Sometimes I will remove the foil for the last 3 or 4 minutes if needed. 

You just need to get to know your oven and can make adjustments to the procedure once you do a few bakes.

Offline mike__

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
will do   

thanks

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »
whoops i assumed chicago thin crust, i think because you talked about new york style!  what is tony g's recipe? i don't think i am familiar!! 

like others have said i cook my deep dish directly on preheated stone on bottom rack.   i preheat for an hour at 500F  then lower to 450F  and cook for about 35-40min!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
Yeah, you're baking a casserole deep dish, man!  I'd do 450 and see where that takes you.  Not familiar with Tony G's recipe, so I can't get more specific, but 500 is likely too hot.  This thing needs to bake for a while.

wordpress