A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Putting Salt on Pizza  (Read 957 times)

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Putting Salt on Pizza
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
Salt is salt regardless of what it's used on.  Also, from what I know of Mozza's dough (I took a class there several years ago), it has 1.92% salt which is very much in line with a NY-style dough.  They also bake for about 8 minutes.  It's more NY than it is Neapolitan.

Do you have any other questions that I can illuminate for you?

Mozza isn't NY pizza.  It's a west coast concoction.  And nobody salts a pizza here on dough. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:25:46 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 04:31:58 AM »
Any reason this is in the NY thread?  Pizzeria Mozza is not NY pizza.

Where is he suppose to put it? It's a thread about adding salt.

If you don't agree, have the Mods move the thread. Or simply stay out of it. Was quiet and civil around here until your ban ended.

Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »
Any reason this is in the NY thread?  Pizzeria Mozza is not NY pizza.

See post #1. "I've been noticing that my pizzas have been a little bland compared to the great NY style pizzas I've had before."
Hans

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
See post #1. "I've been noticing that my pizzas have been a little bland compared to the great NY style pizzas I've had before."

IMO your post supports Harry's point. The original poster said he's missing the extra bit of flavor that comes from the seemingly simple NY slice. He may be missing the hard cheese, or have an underseasoned sauce, or something with his dough formula etc. And while there's nothing inherently wrong with sprinkling salt on a dough skin, that's not typically done in NY, therefore is unlikely to be the source of the difference between his pizza and the NY pizza he's trying to emulate.

Matt

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »
Mozza isn't NY pizza.  It's a west coast concoction.  And nobody salts a pizza here on dough.

Under the dough maybe...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »
IMO your post supports Harry's point. The original poster said he's missing the extra bit of flavor that comes from the seemingly simple NY slice. He may be missing the hard cheese, or have an underseasoned sauce, or something with his dough formula etc. And while there's nothing inherently wrong with sprinkling salt on a dough skin, that's not typically done in NY, therefore is unlikely to be the source of the difference between his pizza and the NY pizza he's trying to emulate.

Maybe I missed where the OP mentioned Mozza. And if he's trying to emulate NY pizza the NY Style forum seems to be the right spot.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:31:36 AM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 10:18:28 AM »

Last I checked, NY pizza wasn't governed by Sharia law.  Putting a little salt on the dough before the sauce is applied is no different than adding a bit more salt to the sauce itself.  It's just salt.  I thought that "hippie kosher" was the strictest dietary code ever devised, but this is taking things to another level.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 11:16:25 AM »
magiclive, we've come to really like a 60-40 mozz to cabot cheddar ratio. The extra complexity of cheddar, to my palate, removes the need to play with salt content (though I do often add a pinch of sea salt to my sauce).
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen