A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New Park Pizza Dough... Flour Used?  (Read 472 times)

Offline picard276

• I Love Pizza!
New Park Pizza Dough... Flour Used?
« on: November 18, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
I have been trying to figure out the hydration/flour used at New Park Pizza in NYC. They have an amazing slice, but i've been trying to figure out what flour they use. It seems like a high-gluten, (def not 00), probably in the 13.5+ range. I would guess sub 62% hydration.

If anyone has ideas... let me know!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: New Park Pizza Dough... Flour Used?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 08:40:53 PM »
All Trumps? The single most popular flour used in NYC. It comes in at 14 to 14.5% protein content.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:17:18 PM »
As the Doc said, All Trumps is a safe bet. If it's something else, its likely similar.

Not the answer to your question, but New Park is unique in that there's salt on the bottom of the crust. IIRC, they achieve this by tossing salt onto the floor of the oven.

Matt

Offline picard276

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 11:22:34 PM »
the cheese is also super salty. I heard they throw some salt in the cheese as well. No idea about that. I'll give all trumps a shot, that would make a lot of sense but was just curious if they were doing something special (i've never tasted a slice with quite that taste). It's simply one of the best slices around and still only $17 for a full pie. Great spot!

I'm assuming on the all trumps it's the bleached and bromated (not the unbleached unbromated) flour.

THat's a cool fact about the salt on the bottom, maybe ill give that a shot too!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:25:24 PM by picard276 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:36:16 AM »
Picard276,

Agree that flour is probably All Trumps, bleached and bromated.  If you read this on the way back machine, can see that the home built oven and opened up gas valve that feeds directly in the oven chamber, and that baby really blows a flame.  How each pizza is baked can makes many different tastes in a pizza, along with different sauces, cheese/cheeses and other variables.  Also the salt thrown on the flour makes it salty.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080725074024/http://www.pmq.com/mag/2004september_october/lastingimpressions.php

When Chau and forum members went to New York, these were the photos I took, starting at Reply 252

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.msg175832#msg175832

You can also look though this thread for more photos.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.0

Norma

Offline picard276

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »
thanks for the pictures and info. I didn't know they had that special gas oven either! Such great info.

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 03:30:02 PM »
As the Doc said, All Trumps is a safe bet. If it's something else, its likely similar.

Not the answer to your question, but New Park is unique in that there's salt on the bottom of the crust. IIRC, they achieve this by tossing salt onto the floor of the oven.

God I love that salty crust so much!!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 10:28:46 AM »
They throw salt on the oven floor, which is a modified oven with a live gas fire.

I personally think New Park is absolutely awful pizza. Did not enjoy my last couple of visits.