A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lucali; has anyone come close?  (Read 63693 times)

Offline Nathan Bateman

• Just here to learn, man.
Re: Lucali; has anyone come close?
« Reply #240 on: September 27, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
Praying you visit the forum again soon. You can't drop this bomb and then vanish!

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely means a lot!

Here's my first dough attempt:

- 100% Organic Unbleached Hard Flour (I can't get King Arthur in Canada, so I went with a good local miller).
- 56% water.
- 2.5% salt.
- 0.15% ADY (I mistakenly used a 1:1 conversion to IDY - still worked fine)

- Lightly incorporate everything then cover and rest for 30 mins. to an hour.
- Return and begin to slap and fold, or knead, until smooth.
- Bulk ferment at 20-22 deg. C for 3 hours.
- Divide and then cold ferment in the fridge for 24 hours. You won't see much activity during this time
- Remove from the fridge and rest at 20-22 deg. C for 4-6 hours. You'll see your dough balls begin to relax and increase a bit in size.

I'm still tinkering with my Ooni Koda 16's temperature dial... hope to have more pictures as I refine this recipe.

Regards,

NB
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 12:38:11 PM by Nathan Bateman »

Offline machismo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2020, 12:28:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely means a lot!

Here's my first dough attempt:

- 100% Organic Unbleached Hard Flour (I can't get King Arthur in Canada, so I went with a good local miller).
- 56% water.
- 2.5% salt.
- 0.15% ADY (I mistakenly used a 1:1 conversion to IDY - still worked fine)

- Lightly incorporate everything then cover and rest for 30 mins. to an hour.
- Return and begin to slap and fold, or knead, until smooth.
- Bulk ferment at 20-22 deg. C for 3 hours.
- Divide and then cold ferment in the fridge for 24 hours. You won't see much activity during this time
- Remove from the fridge and rest at 20-22 deg. C for 4-6 hours. You'll see your dough balls begin to relax and increase a bit in size.

I'm still tinkering with my Ooni Koda 16's temperature dial... hope to have more pictures as I refine this recipe.

Regards,

NB

what was the cook time and temp in your koda 16 ? pie looks excellent btw.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:37:40 AM by machismo »

Offline Nathan Bateman

« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2020, 04:17:25 PM »
what was the cook time and temp in your koda 16 ? pie looks excellent btw.

Thank you very much for the feedback - it definitely means a lot! I should also note that that was my first ever pizza cooked in the Koda.

It's really hard to say due to the Ooni Koda's hot spots as well as the size of pizza I'm making. I always preheat the oven at maximum temperature for around 30-45 minutes so the centre of the stone hits around 860 deg. F and the rear left corner hits around 950 deg. F. Before I put the pizza in, I reduce the temperature dial to its near lowest setting and am able to achieve a 2.5-3 minute bake.

The biggest drawback I'm finding is that at 16" diameter I'm pushing the oven to the absolute limit, which means I can't avoid the hottest corner and direct flame. With a 2.5-3 minute bake time I get a very well developed cracker-like crust, but the bottom just isn't there yet. I'm really hoping I can find the sweetspot with this oven, or else I'll have to invest in something else....

Sorry this wasn't much help.

Regards,

NB

Offline Nathan Bateman

« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2020, 04:25:40 PM »
Hello all,

Here's another one of my pies cooked over the Thanksgiving long weekend. Always adjusting the dough recipe, ingredient suppliers and the Koda 16 temperature dial. Still searching for the perfect marg...

NB

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2020, 06:23:05 PM »
Thank you very much for the feedback - it definitely means a lot! I should also note that that was my first ever pizza cooked in the Koda.

It's really hard to say due to the Ooni Koda's hot spots as well as the size of pizza I'm making. I always preheat the oven at maximum temperature for around 30-45 minutes so the centre of the stone hits around 860 deg. F and the rear left corner hits around 950 deg. F. Before I put the pizza in, I reduce the temperature dial to its near lowest setting and am able to achieve a 2.5-3 minute bake.

The biggest drawback I'm finding is that at 16" diameter I'm pushing the oven to the absolute limit, which means I can't avoid the hottest corner and direct flame. With a 2.5-3 minute bake time I get a very well developed cracker-like crust, but the bottom just isn't there yet. I'm really hoping I can find the sweetspot with this oven, or else I'll have to invest in something else....

Sorry this wasn't much help.

Regards,

NB
I have an Ooni Pro, and I have pretty much the same problem. The company claims that it can cook a 16" pizza (which is the whole reason I bought it, and not one of the smaller, less expensive models), but I think they frankly should be sued for false advertisement. I can't cook anything bigger than a 12" in it without burning the crap out of the outer edge, undoubtedly because the fuel chamber is just too close to the baking surface. And the baking stones also don't ever give me a good crisp, no matter how long I let it preheat. I started using my baking steel in it a couple of months ago, and that has helped a lot. But overall, I'm kind of wishing that I had just spent less money on a smaller model, or just got one from a different company.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline machismo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »
Hello all,

Here's another one of my pies cooked over the Thanksgiving long weekend. Always adjusting the dough recipe, ingredient suppliers and the Koda 16 temperature dial. Still searching for the perfect marg...

NB

I don't have koda 16, but love watching people cook in it. Have you tried the low temp hack by turning the koda dial all the way back to as if you are turning it off. Here is a youtube link, hope that helps. keep posting pics, they look great, specially the top edges look closest to Lucali from what I have seen.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:05:56 PM by machismo »

Offline Nathan Bateman

« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2020, 11:51:11 PM »
I don't have koda 16, but love watching people cook in it. Have you tried the low temp hack by turning the koda dial all the way back to as if you are turning it off. Here is a youtube link, hope that helps. keep posting pics, they look great, specially the top edges look closest to Lucali from what I have seen.

Thanks a lot for the link! I'll definitely give it a try over the weekend and post photos of the results - weather permitted of course.

I probably have to sacrifice matching the Lucali cook time and just focus on optimizing the side and top heat. Looking back on the few times I ate at Lucali, as well as all the video references, there really doesn't seem to be much top heat provided by his oven. The cheeses are just beyond their optimal melting point giving a very creamy texture with almost no blistering - definitely not soupy. It's quite annoying that the lowest temperature setting on the Koda still blisters everything, as shown on my photos... This definitely needs more work.

Regards,

NB

Offline Komarzer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2020, 05:33:28 PM »
Your pie from the picture above looks very good! I have a Koda 16 too, but I just began my journey. I'm gonna follow your experiments, I might be interested in trying NY pies after Neapolitan.

The low flame trick might me useful in your case I think, you should give it a try.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #248 on: October 26, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »
my take
white meat sauce pizza
sausage pepperoni pizza
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:32:16 PM by woodfiredandrew »

Offline Justa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #249 on: November 13, 2020, 09:42:22 AM »
Hi all - been following this thread for a while. Great info here. Here's my attempt:

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #250 on: November 16, 2020, 06:51:31 PM »
Well, this time isnít a pizza but I tried to do a Lucali calzone. 

Does this look anything like Markís calzone?

Offline NewtoQ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #251 on: November 28, 2020, 08:56:38 PM »
Anyone try the recipe he gave Kelly and Ryan?Comes out to about the following:

Water - 60%
Yeast - .54%
EVOO - 1.26%
Sea Salt - 1.46%

Thanks all and great looking pies!!!

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #252 on: Yesterday at 05:58:14 PM »
Well, this time isnít a pizza but I tried to do a Lucali calzone. 

Does this look anything like Markís calzone?

Really does!! I need to make a calzone soon, damn.