A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blaze Pizza or fast casual pizza chains  (Read 338 times)

Offline Victorag999

• I Love Pizza!
Blaze Pizza or fast casual pizza chains
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:35:17 AM »
Hi forum,

I made a recent trip to the growing fast casual chain blaze pizza and I was rather amazed at how fast they cook the pizzas they serve. The last time I went the hearth cooked pizza came out in around 2 minutes. I have been trying to somehow adapt a home recipe that has the crispy cracker like bottom but also the crispy "corniceone" that you get with a Neo- Neapolitan York style pie. The recipe I have been using has % 62 percent hydration, 2 % salt, 1 % yeast, 1 % olive oil and I have been portioning 200 gram dough balls and making 10 inch pizzas. Have any of you been to Blaze and if so can any of you provide me any insights that can help me produce a crust that is the most similar in style to Blaze at home?

Thank yoy

Offline StateofMind

Re: Blaze Pizza or fast casual pizza chains
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:13:01 AM »
What oven are you using? You are going to need a really hot oven to achieve similar results to Blaze and the other "chipotle" style pizza chains.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
Only been once but my impression was that the dough press they use is a big part of the crust texture. I don't recall much oven spring. The dough press left a thicker rim and that was pretty much it. I think I'd try shaping a 10" round and then flattening the center with a Dutch oven or pie plate.

Offline Victorag999

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »
Hi,

If I recall correctly last time I went to Blaze they had there ovens around 600 or so degrees not much higher than any home oven. To cook the pizza I have been using a home oven with a pizza steel that has been preheated for an hour at 550 F, and right before the pizza goes in I turn on the broiler. I have been able to cook my pizza in around 2-3 minute but texturally it has not been as crisp as I want. The dough I have been making it with bread flour. I have been doing a 24 hour bulk fermentation and a 24 hour balled fermentation/rise. I have worked in a few high end pizzerias so I now my method for making the dough is there but I am not sure if the formula/recipe I have been using is ideal? Do  you guys think I need to change anything about it? More hydration ? Possibly less yeast so I have less "spring"?

Thank you

Offline StateofMind

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
According to their website the floor or their ovens are set between 600-800 degrees and the dome is set at around 900. From what I have seen most of the fast pizza places like Blaze are using open flame ovens that mimic a WFO. Heat is the key to cooking pizzas that quickly.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »
You should ask this question in the dough doctor forum, I am sure there is a specific method for making this style of pizza that all of these chains do. But it is definitely not NY style.