A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Reverse Engineering DiFara's Pizzas  (Read 194085 times)

Offline Wilsonwilsonn

Re: Reverse Engineering DiFara's Pizzas
« Reply #480 on: July 16, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
Wilson, good work.  When reverse engineering a pizza or any food you want to use as close of a formula as the real deal you are copying but how much difference in this case would the type of flour make?  What if you used 100% high gluten for example but you used the same tomatoes and cheese and baked it the same?

I think it would make a big difference! If you just used high gluten flour you would have different characteristics compared to blended 00 flour i.e  different dough, different texture, chew & fermentation etc. Not to say that's good or bad but if your trying to reverse engineer a pizza I guess you want to be as accurate as possible. Unless you want to make something similar & experiment & put your own stamp on it.

Give it a whirl & see how it turns out!?

Offline LeviCampbell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #481 on: July 25, 2020, 06:38:03 PM »
This is what I used. Mixed it into one batch, divided into two balls and into a bag in the fridge. 24 hours in the fridge.

Let it come to room temp for 2 hours if not a touch more.

My oven only goes to 520 but will sometimes sit at 475 once it goes over for a long period.

I tried the oven on broil to really preheat the steel but after it hit 550 and going back to bake it only maintained 480-500, if that. As if it gets tired lol. Preheat for almost two hours.

When I launch it, door opens, it loses a lot of heat and I wasnít able to cook at 500+. Thatís why it was too long and a bit dry as I have a good gauge on time at 500+ but it was hovering around 475.

It was light on cheese to be honest. Blend of brick Mozzarella and fresh mozzarella.

Tried my hand at this recipe and had some great results!

2 day cold ferment, took out 3 hours before bake.  7 minutes on the baking steel at 500 (preheated for 1.5 hours with broiler on for the last ten before launch).  Then flipped the broiler back on for the last 3 minutes.

Sauce was Scalfani tomatoes, little salt, and a few basil leaves that I left sit overnight in the fridge.

Whole milk low-moisture mozz pinched on, margherita pepperoni cut thick, and then shredded some parm on top after using scissors to cut the basil :)

Great taste!  Can't wait to have the leftovers tomorrow  :drool:

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #482 on: July 25, 2020, 07:27:22 PM »
Tried my hand at this recipe and had some great results!

2 day cold ferment, took out 3 hours before bake.  7 minutes on the baking steel at 500 (preheated for 1.5 hours with broiler on for the last ten before launch).  Then flipped the broiler back on for the last 3 minutes.

Sauce was Scalfani tomatoes, little salt, and a few basil leaves that I left sit overnight in the fridge.

Whole milk low-moisture mozz pinched on, margherita pepperoni cut thick, and then shredded some parm on top after using scissors to cut the basil :)

Great taste!  Can't wait to have the leftovers tomorrow  :drool:

Very nice!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #483 on: August 08, 2020, 06:11:45 PM »
Here is my attempt at Di Fara. Because I never had Di Fara before Iíd say this inspired by but not an actual reverse engineered version.  I went by what people said here but because I never tried it I canít input based on experience.   I canít tell if it taste like the real thing.  With that said I loved the way it taste.   The dough seemed very wet and hard to handle so when I launched it one side got out of shape and didnít stay round.  Baked it on my LBE about a 650 Stone temp and maybe 625 air temp.  I think it took about 4 minutes to bake. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 06:45:29 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #484 on: August 08, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »
I may add that because there are so many theories on how he makes the pizza and then there are fact. Fact that he uses 75% 00 flour and 25% High Gluten.  I think I read that here that someone confirmed that.  With that said I used 70% Power Flour and 30% 00.  This is almost the opposite of what he uses but for what itís worth it was good.  Next time Iíll do 75% 00 and 25% High Gluten.

Some theorize the sauce is uncooked, some day cooked, and some say cooked and fresh tomato added to the cooked sauce or canned whole tomato added. I make a good pasta sauce so when I made meatballs last week I made pasta sauce to cook meatballs in so I took 3/4 cup of pasta sauce out after it simmered 20 minutes.  Then today I added 3/4 cup Mutti brand to the 3/4 cup pasta sauce and used that as my pizza sauce.  Used Joseph Farms WMLM mozz.  Sliced it in the grater.  Put some fresh mozzarella.  Freshly grated pecorino romano.  Swiss brand pepperoni and sliced cooked Italian sausage.  Put olive oil on it and then launched it.  Planned on making a 15 inch but the dough was so wet it was hard to handle and it stretched out to 16.  Fine because the bigger the pizza the better.  I try to limit pizzas to 14 or even 12 when I experiment then when I get it down I make 18 inch pizzas.  This time I thought Iíd do 15 instead of 14 but it ended up 16 minus the deformation on one side.

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #485 on: October 01, 2020, 12:59:48 AM »

Probably the longest 'behind the scenes' video I've seen of the pizza making process at DiFara. Not necessarily a lot of detailed information on specific brands or recipes given, but a good view of their processes and a nice up-close look at the pizzas pre-bake. What's always struck me the most of what can be seen of their pizzas is that the crust itself looks somewhat unremarkable. It looks fine, but it looks very flat to me, despite the fact that  a lot of people seem to think that it's the closest thing to Italian pizza. I've seen lots of pizzas, and while the pizzas at DiFara look very appealing, they don't look like any Italian pizza I've ever seen. Maybe they're close to the tonda Romana style where the actual crust is concerned, but apart from that, I see no resemblance at all. Furthermore, I can't say I've ever heard anyone go into any great depth in describing the quality of the crust; all people ever seem to talk about is the toppings. Another thing that strikes me is that (unless my slight color blindness is leading me astray), I've always detected a slight golden hue to the crust of their pizzas. I've been suspecting for some time now that they might be using some proportion of durum flour, but I'm probably way off on that one because nobody else has ever mentioned it and I've never seen any visual confirmation of that. Anyway, I think this video is well worth watching.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #486 on: October 01, 2020, 06:52:34 PM »

Probably the longest 'behind the scenes' video I've seen of the pizza making process at DiFara. Not necessarily a lot of detailed information on specific brands or recipes given, but a good view of their processes and a nice up-close look at the pizzas pre-bake. What's always struck me the most of what can be seen of their pizzas is that the crust itself looks somewhat unremarkable. It looks fine, but it looks very flat to me, despite the fact that  a lot of people seem to think that it's the closest thing to Italian pizza. I've seen lots of pizzas, and while the pizzas at DiFara look very appealing, they don't look like any Italian pizza I've ever seen. Maybe they're close to the tonda Romana style where the actual crust is concerned, but apart from that, I see no resemblance at all. Furthermore, I can't say I've ever heard anyone go into any great depth in describing the quality of the crust; all people ever seem to talk about is the toppings. Another thing that strikes me is that (unless my slight color blindness is leading me astray), I've always detected a slight golden hue to the crust of their pizzas. I've been suspecting for some time now that they might be using some proportion of durum flour, but I'm probably way off on that one because nobody else has ever mentioned it and I've never seen any visual confirmation of that. Anyway, I think this video is well worth watching.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.  I see they are using all ovens now and it must be fun to have locals coming back with the long lines gone.  We get a mix of tourists and locals - about 80% regulars.  It is a nice blend of new faces and old :)  The stones look like newer ones in the ovens. 
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline NY_Mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #487 on: October 02, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
This was my shot at a Di Fara's style.
Overall was very happy with how these pies turned out.
Great flavor in the dough....about a 5 minute or so bake on a stone, top rack, with a broil to get a little extra color on the crust.
It had a surprising feel in that it is crispier than it looks and didn't really get soggy as it cooled and sat.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:04:45 AM by NY_Mike »

Offline nyMike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #488 on: October 20, 2020, 10:09:12 PM »
Caught this off the DiFara instagram.
Looks like theyíre using Heckers AP flour.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #489 on: November 07, 2020, 01:32:39 PM »
Some here have said here that the sauce may be a combination of cooked and uncooked but in Instagram I asked this and the guy named Dino said it's all uncooked until it is on the pizza and cooks on the pizza.  So apparently it's fully uncooked going on the pizza, although it is strange it looks cooked. Here is a photo of my question but he answered by talking not by typing so you donít see the answer or hear it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 01:36:45 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #490 on: November 07, 2020, 02:22:06 PM »
For what itís worth I saw 2 boxes of valoroso pear tomato boxes on the ground in the last video posted. My guess he just stick blends them and uses them as is.

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #491 on: November 07, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »
Some here have said here that the sauce may be a combination of cooked and uncooked but in Instagram I asked this and the guy named Dino said it's all uncooked until it is on the pizza and cooks on the pizza.  So apparently it's fully uncooked going on the pizza, although it is strange it looks cooked. Here is a photo of my question but he answered by talking not by typing so you donít see the answer or hear it.
I've also heard that they use some cooked tomatoes mixed in with canned product. Makes sense to me.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Charlie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #492 on: November 28, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »
Some good stuff in here. Thanks to everybody thatís shared their results. I used what I had available to me which was harvest king and Caputo blue. Cheese is Polly O. I was lucky enough to score some quality Grana Padano and fresh mozzarella.