A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Reverse Engineering DiFara's Pizzas  (Read 166993 times)

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Reverse Engineering DiFara's Pizzas
« Reply #420 on: November 25, 2018, 04:37:02 PM »
Hello Guys 😁 another try with round pie in my way

My classic neapolitan dough %67 hydro. 12+6 RT

Started with 734F. after turning the pie a few times the oven temperature dropped down till 644F.
4/5 min bake. Bayernland full fat Mozzarella, La Torrenta Pelati, Mozzarella di Bufala, Basil, Parmigiano, EVOO

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:18:51 AM by pizzadaheim »

Offline chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #421 on: December 07, 2018, 07:21:18 PM »

Started with 734F. after turning the pie a few times the oven temperature dropped down till 644F.
4/5 min bake. Bayernland full fat Mozzarella, La Torrenta Pelati, Mozzarella di Bufala, Basil, Parmigiano, EVOO

Fine looking pizza, sir!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #422 on: December 07, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
Those really look a lot like the real thing.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #423 on: December 07, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
Those really look a lot like the real thing.

Really does!  Pretty impressive given most, if not all, of the elements going in to it are different.

Jeff

Offline Josh123

« Reply #424 on: December 09, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
Awesome pizza!

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #425 on: May 30, 2019, 01:26:15 PM »
I just recently got back from a week long trip to NY, it was my first time visiting, and I tried my hardest to grab pizza from all the most notable spots.  I never made it down to Totono's or all the way up to Patsy's in Harlem, and I'm sad to say that there was just no time for Lucali.  But I think I tried most other notable places.  My top 3 NY slices were from Luigi's on 5th Ave, John's on Bleecker Street, and the best slice I had was Di Fara's, and it wasn't even the one in Midtown.  This was the DiFara's in Williamsburg. No Dom, no Dom Jr. But hell if it wasn't the best slice I'd had all week. 

So I got home and tried to make one, but it was very sloppy.  Couldn't even tell you the percentages of my dough, and it was a hand kneed couple hour proof.  But it was about 75% Caputo and 25% All Trumps with fresh yeast and kroger sea salt. 

The cheese was Restaurant Depot WM Mozz, Ovalini Mozz, Parm Reg
The sauce was some DOP San Marz, 7/11's, Dried Oregano, Basil, Salt, Pepper
I blended some Yellow and Green Filippo Berrio oil to put on before and after, and topped with just some Restaurant Depot Basil

If you look at the pictures be warned, these went on Instagram first so there is a "rustic" filter on it to make it look better.  But even still, I feel the pizza didn't look bad, but it sure didn't taste the best. 

First of all, I got to ditch the Restaurant Depot cheese.  I may opt for grande but I saw HarryHaller73 mention that it might be Polly O mozz so I may try that next time.  The Parm Reg was from Restaurant Depot too so I think I need to try a quality Grana Padano next.

But I came to one conclusion while making this pie and meditating on the Di Fara pizza.  Its all about the blend of high quality Italian style and more base quality NY style. 

I know a lot of people liked to point out that they use yellow Filippo olive oil to finish the pies but no way that was yellow Filippo or even the green EVOO.  I think it probably is Yellow Filippo Berio cut with some high quality EVOO.  And I think the same shows for the dough and sauce which it seems people have a good read on.  NY style dough but cut with 00 flour.  I think its a NY sauce but cut with DOP San Marzano.  The Cheese very well could be Polly O Mozz but covered in a really good Grana Padano.  I'm not completely sure on the Ovalini yet, I'm not 100% certain the slice I had from Di Fara even had a second type of Mozz. 

I'm gonna try to give this another shot trying higher quality ingredients. I'll make sure to post here.

- Trevor

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #426 on: May 30, 2019, 05:38:29 PM »
I'd hit it....hard!👌
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #427 on: May 30, 2019, 09:34:01 PM »
  My top 3 NY slices were from Luigi's on 5th Ave, John's on Bleecker Street, and the best slice I had was Di Fara's, and it wasn't even the one in Midtown.

luigi' on 5th avenue in brooklyn is one of my favorites. I tried to convince the chau tour to visit to no avail. There is no diFaras in midtown, did you mean johns?
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #428 on: May 30, 2019, 10:29:12 PM »
luigi' on 5th avenue in brooklyn is one of my favorites. I tried to convince the chau tour to visit to no avail. There is no diFaras in midtown, did you mean johns?

Sorry I meant the Di Fara's in Midwood. 

And Luigi's was great.  So many people had recommended Joe's but nobody really had mentioned Luigi's and in my opinion Luigi's is a lot better. 
- Trevor

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #429 on: May 31, 2019, 03:52:14 PM »
well, joe's is more accessible as most visitors to nyc don't travel outside of Manhattan for pizza! good on you for getting out there!
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
The secret ingredient is mouse turds.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #431 on: June 05, 2019, 06:33:44 AM »
The secret ingredient is mouse turds.

Worked well for Disney too.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #432 on: June 05, 2019, 06:45:51 AM »
Happiest place on Earth  :-D >:D

Offline pizzainthe6ix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #433 on: June 12, 2019, 08:57:25 AM »

Wow these are amazing.  What type of oven?  Can you share the complete details of the recipe including flour

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #434 on: June 15, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »
Wow these are amazing.  What type of oven?  Can you share the complete details of the recipe including flour

Oven was an electric_oven. Flour was Caputo Pizzeria. 12 hours Bulk + 6 hours in balls. 4 minutes bake without Mozzarella di bufala another 2-3 min bake with Bufala.