A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Reverse Engineering DiFara's Pizzas  (Read 198452 times)

Offline Wilsonwilsonn

Re: Reverse Engineering DiFara's Pizzas
« Reply #460 on: May 25, 2020, 10:21:37 AM »
Here's my 1st attempt of many I imagine

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2020, 11:15:15 AM »
That's really pretty!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Movefast

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #462 on: July 04, 2020, 07:12:04 AM »
Cooked a little too long as my oven was acting up.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:24:52 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #463 on: July 04, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »
Looks great nonetheless.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #464 on: July 04, 2020, 09:26:23 AM »
Cooked a little too long as my oven was acting up.
Movefast,

Looks great. Can you tell us what dough recipe you used and how you baked the pizza?

Peter

Offline Movefast

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #465 on: July 04, 2020, 11:52:20 PM »
This is what I used. Mixed it into one batch, divided into two balls and into a bag in the fridge. 24 hours in the fridge.

Let it come to room temp for 2 hours if not a touch more.

My oven only goes to 520 but will sometimes sit at 475 once it goes over for a long period.

I tried the oven on broil to really preheat the steel but after it hit 550 and going back to bake it only maintained 480-500, if that. As if it gets tired lol. Preheat for almost two hours.

When I launch it, door opens, it loses a lot of heat and I wasnít able to cook at 500+. Thatís why it was too long and a bit dry as I have a good gauge on time at 500+ but it was hovering around 475.

It was light on cheese to be honest. Blend of brick Mozzarella and fresh mozzarella.

Offline Movefast

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #466 on: July 07, 2020, 10:44:30 PM »
I keep trying to perfect this one. Definitely my go to za!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #467 on: July 07, 2020, 10:46:54 PM »
looking good!  :chef:
Y'all gotta burn it a lil though to be authentic.  😎
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #468 on: July 08, 2020, 03:03:06 PM »
Movefast,

That is also a nice looking pizza, along the lines of the appearance of DiFara's pizzas.

Can you tell me what kind of flour you used? The last time I was involved in this thread, Dom was using a blend of high gluten flour and 00 flour. Dom was prone to switch vendors so I do not know which ones he now uses. My recollection also is that Dom did not use oil or sugar in his dough but I can see how you might have done so because you are using a home oven and baking steel, not a supercharged deck oven like Dom uses.

Peter

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #469 on: July 08, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
Here's my 1st attempt of many I imagine
That is on point!
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #470 on: July 13, 2020, 12:43:49 AM »
Some random thoughts:

I had an excellent experience at Di Fara's today.  No wait, and much better pizza than the last time I was there.  Dom has Changed brands on everything it seems.  I saw new brands of buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes, oregano, and olive oil.  Even the crust seemed a bit different to me.  His hard grating cheese tasted much less sharp than what he was using last time (pretty sure it was grana padano).   I found it interesting that he is now using passata (jarred liquified tomato) mixed with canned san marzanos.  Last time I was there he was using fresh tomatoes and canned san marzano's.

He definitely used the same sauce for both the Sicilian and the round pies, and he used buffalo mozzarella only on the Sicilian.

The place was still incredibly dirty even after the board of health shut down.

I know this is a very old post but from what I am reading and what I read in a couple other post it seems as if Dom doesn't stick to the same ingredients over time and goes with different brands and such.   Also from Yelp review pictures and from videos he doesn't seem to be very consistent in the baking of the pies.  Sometimes they are more charred than other times they aren't charred at all, and rare occasion they crossed the line from charred to burnt.  Even the finished pie's top looks different often.  Now I'm not knocking DiFara but those are my observations and with that said it is the general concenses this is the best pizza in NYC.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2020, 01:01:25 AM »
The best pizza is a purely hype business. Some grow by legend, deserved or not and others just have great marketing people and nowadays the Internet influencers spreading the word.

Back in my time growing up in New York, we didn't seek out these places because nobody talked about them and our local pizza joints were excellent.

You could probably find a lot of places that bake great consistent pizzas all day long. And they aren't constantly chasing low priced suppliers or having to switch because they are late on paying vendors. Just guessing here, but why else switch suppliers?

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #472 on: July 13, 2020, 07:35:14 AM »
You could probably find a lot of places that bake great consistent pizzas all day long. And they aren't constantly chasing low priced suppliers or having to switch because they are late on paying vendors. Just guessing here, but why else switch suppliers?
Iíve never been there, donít like what I have learned about the place, and would not consider eating there. There could be a dozen or more reasons to switch suppliers. This is not a good thing to guess about and post. Because you donít know, your statement is borderline libelous. We can suppose, we can suspect, but we do not know what we need to know in order to say (or write).
-Tony

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #473 on: July 13, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »
Iíve never been there, donít like what I have learned about the place, and would not consider eating there. There could be a dozen or more reasons to switch suppliers. This is not a good thing to guess about and post. Because you donít know, your statement is borderline libelous. We can suppose, we can suspect, but we do not know what we need to know in order to say (or write).
LOL - tell them to borderline sue me.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #474 on: July 13, 2020, 02:00:07 PM »

What did you learn about it that place that you don't like?

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #475 on: July 13, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »
What did you learn about it that place that you don't like?
The long history of health department violations published by various news organizations. I also donít like what I saw of their work with Goldbelly.com that was discussed and documented in another thread here.
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #476 on: July 13, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
LOL - tell them to borderline sue me.
First of all, my comment was not meant as a personal attack. Secondly, that is kind of exactly the point. Anonymous screen names, like mine or yours, arenít a license to...well, Iíll just say it is easier to be brave or careless anonymously - and - I suspect it weighs less on the conscience when there is no chance the alledger will ever have to face or be found out by the target.
-Tony

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #477 on: July 13, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
I believed difara's could probably care less what anyone says about them.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Wilsonwilsonn

« Reply #478 on: July 14, 2020, 01:58:43 AM »
Movefast,

That is also a nice looking pizza, along the lines of the appearance of DiFara's pizzas.

Can you tell me what kind of flour you used? The last time I was involved in this thread, Dom was using a blend of high gluten flour and 00 flour. Dom was prone to switch vendors so I do not know which ones he now uses. My recollection also is that Dom did not use oil or sugar in his dough but I can see how you might have done so because you are using a home oven and baking steel, not a supercharged deck oven like Dom uses.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I recently watched an interveiw with Maggie DeMarco of Di fara & she touched on flour & tomatoes.

She mentioned they use a caputo 00 flour (from the video I got the impression the red bag) & sometimes other 00 flours mixed with a heckers unbleached all purpose flour, due to the high protein.
She also said they are currently using a form of Mutti tomatoes & also a California brand which I cant remember off the top of my head but "vala rosa" or something along them lines rings a bell.

This interview was May of this year so as you stated they still use the 00/high gluten blend.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #479 on: July 14, 2020, 11:31:39 AM »
Wilson, good work.  When reverse engineering a pizza or any food you want to use as close of a formula as the real deal you are copying but how much difference in this case would the type of flour make?  What if you used 100% high gluten for example but you used the same tomatoes and cheese and baked it the same?

wordpress