Author Topic: Deep dish in WFO?  (Read 816 times)

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
Deep dish in WFO?
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
I understand the temp is all wrong, at least that is what I see online, I am keen to try, maybe after the other cooking is done but before putting in a roast, say when the deck is at 500? I'd love to be able to do while oven is at 700 or so

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Deep dish in WFO?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
About the hottest that I've been able to do a fresh baked deep-dish pizza at is 575F. The problem is that pizzas are baked from the bottom up and with the thicker crusts you need more baking time to achieve a complete bake so at the higher temperatures you end up with an over baked top and a charred or under baked bottom to the pizza. You will also probably need to bake a deep-dish pizza on a screen in the oven too so as to create an air gap between the pan and the deck to prevent over baking the bottom of the pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Weber Dude

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »
I'd give it a try. Here's a couple links to a couple deep dish pizzas I've done in the kettlepizza. I'll try it in the PizzaParty next time when I feel like deep dish...which might be soon.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=44227.0
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=44244.0

Offline aamcle

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 03:37:10 AM »
Kettlepizza

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »
I'd love to be able to do while oven is at 700 or so

Why? No, really, that's a serious question. Why do you want to bake it at 700?

Anyway, what Tom said is correct.  A deep dish pizza is 4-lb casserole.  It needs a long baking time.

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 11:08:43 AM »
Why do you want to bake it at 700?

well when I cook in my wood fired I am usually cooking with the deck at 800 or 900, we let it cool down after the pizzas are done to put in a roast and overnight bean. the roast goes in at about 500 or 600 degrees and stays in for an hour I think until the internal temp is 125. just thinking if I could use the heat between finishing pizzas and putting in the roast it would be more efficient

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »
So, the question that begs to be asked is "at what temperature will the pizza be baked at?" Remember, the oven is cooling down (from what temperature?) so there will be no constant temperature.

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 06:56:29 PM »
Well Tom, that is kinda my question. The tempis going down, but I can somewhat control its decline. I usually don't care once I am done with the pizzas, but I can close the door trim the vent if I want to retain heat.

I think I will experiment with this. maybe set a cooling rack on the deck and cover the pan with foil to keep it from browning/blackening. If I target 650 or 700 for one and 600 - 650 for another. Maybe go 15 mins covered then pull the foil off for 5 mins and see how it looks.
My first concern was one of the pans I got said it was tolerant of the heat up to 700, the others didn't specify, but are enamel over steel so they should be fine

I guess we will see how it goes. My plan is to try either Pythonics Malnoti recipe, or the ATK.. leaning to Pythonics though

Cheers,

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 07:05:04 PM »
A bright silver colored aluminum pan (though not usually recommended) might help you in this case by reflecting a portion of the heat giving a slower more thorough bake.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »
Can't you just fire it to 500-550 to begin with?  Make deep dish the purpose of the fire, not the afterthought.  A 75-lb pizza casserole isn't dessert: it's the main attraction, baby!

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »
so now I have a control pizza. I used Pythonics recipe

Chicago style deep dish 1.0. Took a good part of the day to make. Came out well, I did over fill it slightly, hard to judge but the next one will be better. This one has 1/2 lb mozzarella, sausage, pepperoni, and mushrooms with home made sauce, and pecorino Romano on top. The cook was 425 for what turned into 35 minutes, originally I was looking at 25 but the sauce was on the wet side and the cheese had not browned.

The word around the house is, it kicks ass. There are no leftovers, I was kinda hoping for some to see how it tastes cold. Oh well I will just have to make more next time. I will need to measure ingredients I put in my sauce, as I didn't but was told in no uncertain terms I should make a vat of it. Sadly I just kept adding and tasting until I liked what I tasted.

I will see if I can duplicate in the WFO, and using Tom's advice I think I will look for a silver pan, just to see how it goes. I also plan to set the pan on a cooling rack in the oven to keep it off the deck.

will also make more than one next time... no left overs...which I think is almost the best part of pizza making.

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
That's a very good looking pie!!

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
ok so the update is I tested 2 deep dish pies in my WFO after making 12 regular pies. I put a rack on the deck so the pans would not be sitting directly on the deck. One pan was black enamel over steel, the other was clay, both were 9". The black enamel cooked in 20 mins, the clay was pulled after 20 mins, but I found it was not cooked through so I had to put it back in for another 30 mins or so.
I had not cooked the sauce beforehand, but think it is something I will try next time to get the sauce thicker. Everyone who tried the pie loved it

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:11 AM »
Jiraya;
Rather than cooking the sauce to condense it (which will result in a loss of flavor in the finished sauce on the pizza) you have two better options. 1) Blend in some tomato paste, this will increase the solids content of your sauce making it thicker. 2) Add a little fresh crushed or diced garlic and or onion to the sauce and refrigerate it overnight before using it. The enzymes present in the onion and garlic will catalyze the pectin in the tomato causing it to gel, making for a thicker sauce without any other changes.

Offline Jiraya

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 01:04:03 PM »
Thanks, Doc, will def try maybe a blend of both, why not I rest my reg pizza dough 24 hours, so I can certainly to the sauce at the same time. This last round all we used was homemade red sauce, the white and pesto, and BBQ sauce on some pies were still from jars.

If I use real onions, and real garlic I can eliminate the powdered forms of both. This should be interesting.

In general I think deep dish in the WFO was a raging success, so much so one of my guests asked me to make him one the next day. I had to tell him umm no, the time it takes just to let the dough do its thing means this is not a slap dash proposal.

Cheers,

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »
Jiraya;
You sure can use fresh garlic or onion instead of the powdered form. My recommendation for the fresh is to chop it very fine for addition to the sauce, this will allow for maximum surface area exposure of the onion/garlic to the tomato portion of your sauce.