A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Farrelli's Pizza  (Read 962 times)

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
Farrelli's Pizza
« on: December 09, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
Hi everyone, I tried this Farrelli's Pizza Dough Formula and workflow for tonight's pizza.  I made the dough last night after work and got it into the fridge by about 6pm.  Reballed it this morning as it had risen a lot and was threatening to break out of it's container.  Pulled about 3PM for a 430ish bake.

I went with one of their menu combinations for toppings:
DELUXE CLASSIC

Italian sausage, Canadian bacon and pepperoni with black olives, sliced mushrooms, green peppers, white onions, mozzarella and provolone cheese.

I found some pics of this pizza on google and sort of liked the way they did the bigger chunks of onion so I went with that as opposed to the dice or thin strings I would normally do.

I've never had Farrelli's pizza before so I can't say how it compares but they use wood fired ovens for one thing so I doubt my rendition is very close!

Anyone been there before?  I don't see it mentioned here in the forums.

I don't quite understand how they are calculating that "water is 62% of Farrelli's dough recipe."  That's not what I came up with when I converted the standard pizza dough formula on page 2 of the doc.  I tried treating the combined flour and semolina weights as the total flour weight and then just the regular flour without the semolina and then as a percentage of the total combined weight of all ingredients but I couldn't come up with 62% any way I tried it.  I probably screwed up my math but this is what I used for one 23oz dough ball for a 16" pie:

Flour   356
Semolina   42.72 (12%)
Water   234.96 (66%)
EVOO   8.9 (2.5%)
Salt   8.01 (2.25%)
IDY   1.78 (0.5%)

Those weights are in grams and percentages are of just the plain flour.  Finished dough ball weighed 22.5 oz so I undershot it a tad.  I think their 23oz ball for a 16" pie equates to 0.115 TF, so a lot thinker than my normal round pies, closer to the squares my wife likes.

I haven't worked much with refrigerated dough, the few times I have I've made the same mistake of not getting it out of the fridge early enough. The Farrelli's doc says it needs to be at room temp for at least an hour and between 55-70 degrees before baking.  I had mine out for an hour and a half and it was barely at 55 and the oven was ready to rock.  It's hard to open the skin at that temp.

It produced a lot of moisture, I think it was a water/oil combo from the veggies and all the meat.

All in all I thought it was pretty good and a nice change of pace.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:00:13 PM by sodface »
Carl

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Farrelli's Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »
that pizza looks very good. I'm going to try that recipe!!!!

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:49:11 PM »
that pizza looks very good. I'm going to try that recipe!!!!

Thanks, post back if you do.  The doc is sort of a strange one.  It doesn't read like a typical employee training document, especially the first page, but then it goes into big batch recipes that certainly aren't for the home pizza maker!

If you figure out how they get 62% water let me know!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:21:55 AM by sodface »
Carl

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:30:46 AM »
do they have a sauce recipe?

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 07:20:45 AM »
do they have a sauce recipe?

Not that I could find.  The dough recipe was all google turned up, so no sauce recipe or topping weights or anything - the menu was the only other thing I looked at which mentioned the use of mozzarella and provolone, at least on the "deluxe classic".

By the way, mine was about a 9 minute bake at 550 on a fibrament stone a couple of slots down from the top of the oven.  I did give it about 30 minutes at room temp after mixing and balling before putting it in the fridge, like the doc mentions.  It browned up nicely considering it has no added sugar and it was very crisp.  Slices re-heated in the oven really well also.

Here's the only bottom shot I took and didn't post originally because it's not a very appetizing picture  :-D

Also, I'm not sure this belongs in the American pizza area but I wasn't sure where to post it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:33:59 AM by sodface »
Carl

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
 one more question, did you use fine semolina or course ?

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »
one more question, did you use fine semolina or course ?

I used the Bob's Red Mill in the yellow bag.  It's the only semolina I've ever used, I'm not sure whether it's fine or coarse.  I also just noticed it says it keeps best refrigerated or frozen.  Oops.
Carl

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:24:23 PM »
thanks for the semolina picture. if you add 1  pound of water you hit that 62 percent water figure.