A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bakers Pride GP-61 -- or -- Whoever dies with the most pizza ovens wins!!!  (Read 5512 times)

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
Re: Bakers Pride GP-61 -- or -- Whoever dies with the most pizza ovens wins!!!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
Those are awesome ovens - mine looks like a toaster oven compared to them - I have more time than money so I'll putt along with my dental tools.  I'm retired, so I try not to spend money if I don't need to - just in case I live longer than I think I will  :-D

PS. I know, I did not really NEED a pizza oven - but cooking a 24 inch pie is on my bucket list  :)
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
Not sure what you consider big money but the ovens can be the cheapest thing one buys in appliances for a pizzeria.  I paid $1,200 for 2- Blodgett  1000 ovens and had to put about $500 into them with a lot of elbow grease.  They have performed flawlessly for almost 10 years with only a thermocouple gone bad - $30 fix.  Walter
That’s great that those brands worked out for you in Reno but check Bakers Pride pizza oven prices on Craigslist NYC.
I’ve been to Reno and Tahoe many times. Until recently (thanks in part to Tesla ) Reno used to be affordable.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »
That’s great that those brands worked out for you in Reno but check Bakers Pride pizza oven prices on Craigslist NYC.
I’ve been to Reno and Tahoe many times. Until recently (thanks in part to Tesla ) Reno used to be affordable.

Craigslist is a great place to buy.   I bought the ovens outside Columbus OH.  They wanted 3k. I offered $1,200 cash and they took it.  They require no rotating of pies and no noticeable recovery time.  They outperform any newer gas deck oven including Blodgett and Bakers Pride in these areas.  I have worked with many deck ovens and our 60 year old ovens were a mainstay in NYC/NJ/PA/CT/OH during the 60's-80's and many are still in use but lack the originals stones most times. I learned on them in the 70's. Norma has baked in my ovens and can attest to them. 

Many times restaurants/pizzerias go belly up and the equipment is worth pennies on the dollar.  They have to sell it or get it out. In my case the pizzeria went out of business and owed lots of back rent and left all the equipment and ran.  The owners were ready to put new tenants in and needed the ovens out asap. Selling is usually the route taken and I have gotten shelving, tables, chairs, stainless work tables, via craigslist for next to nothing. I grew up/learned pizza just outside NYC in the Oranges (NJ) and know how expensive things are there.  That is why we would never open a shop in the NYC area.  Reno is going off the chart too.  Our house has gone up 100k in less than 2 years from all the CA and high tech transplants.  We got in just in time for the house and shop. 

The ovens here, that Norma also uses, work great for home and her 1 day week gig but would not work for an everyday pizzeria. For a home pizza maker these are killer compared to baking in a home oven :)  Walter
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:43:21 AM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
Making progress - Plus, top door almost finished, burner door finished and missing exhaust vent parts on the way.

PS. Hope everyones holiday is going great!

:pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »
Making progress - Plus, top door almost finished, burner door finished and missing exhaust vent parts on the way.

Nice Job!
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »

Norm,

You are making great progress in cleaning up your Baker's Pride!  8) ;D 

Merry Christmas to you and yours. 

Sure you don't want to come clean my same Baker's Pride?  Mine might get jealous if I show him your photos.   :-D

Norma

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2017, 03:24:49 PM »
Thanks, DS :-)

Thanks, Norma - I'm sure having fun cleaning it up - it is such a cool oven, I bet I would not have noticed it if I didn't know you had one just like it - so, thanks for that - wait, show him - my oven is a girl  :-D

Merry Christmas  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
Norm

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »

Thanks, Norma - I'm sure having fun cleaning it up - it is such a cool oven, I bet I would not have noticed it if I didn't know you had one just like it - so, thanks for that - wait, show him - my oven is a girl  :-D

Merry Christmas  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Norm,

Wish I had time to spend to clean mine up right.  I will show him your photos today when I go over to market to do a few things.  Don't be surprise if he wants to meet your girl.   8)  At least he won't be alone.  I have to work on Christmas day to get ready for market Tuesday.

I agree it is a cool oven.  Didn't think so at first but have grown to love him even if he gives me some problems sometimes.  Think that is mostly my fault though.   :-D

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
Amazing work Norm...Pizza Oven Makeover, Extreme Edition

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »
Thanks, Bill - of course I spend about an hour reworking the capillary tube clips then noticed I have to remove them to take off a bar that will allow me to get my torso up inside the oven - lots of work to be done in there and no room with the crossmember in place - Saving that for another day :-)
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »
This guy is probably gonna win.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
Took a few days off - now back on it - top oven door finished - I made some updates to HW and design  :)
Norm

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »
Norm,  nice work, you are going all out.  It will look like it rolled off the assembly line by the time you are finished.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »
Belly of the beast (decided to take it to parade rest - I wanted to make sure no furry friends built tiny combustible houses in the burner chamber while it was not in use). Second photo is prep work on 2nd cooking chamber door - some break-free on the truss bolts before they got the impact hammer treatment. All went well -- all the HW from the second door is taking a nice swim in the oxalic acid tub. Done for today....
Norm

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
More progress - burner area cleaned inspected and closed up - burner door on, both stones and support cross-members reinstalled.
Norm

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2018, 12:33:49 PM »
Looking good!

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2018, 12:50:08 AM »
looks awesome!  those stones look great!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »
Thanks NioDel  :)

DS - if you're trying t remove rust you should check into oxalic acid - I used it for the first time on the smaller BP oven parts and it is pretty amazing stuff - cheap to use if you mix the solution up yourself and you can decide how aggressive you want to make the acid bath. It does need to be handled properly or it can be dangerous (but so can a 3000 pound car traveling at 55 mph). I have not tried it on cast iron but I'll bet it would work really good - if you want more info just let me know and pls post photos of the waffle irons when you are done - sounds like a great project !

Almost forgot...
Cleaned up and reasoned.
Griswold "Hearts and Star" Waffle Iron High Base pat. 1924,
Griswold "American" Waffle Iron Low Base pat.1908
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:06:12 AM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
Those are very cool and great job on getting them back into working order - thanks for posting, DS!!!
Norm

HarryHaller73

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »
So, I got such a great deal on a Bakers Pride GP-61 I could not pass it up. It is in really nice shape and it came with two brand new (never used) stones. 6 hour drive to get it and bring it home. I enjoyed cleaning up and futzing with the Bakers Pride M02T I picked up a few weeks ago I figured I had to have this one too.  :P

My quest to bake an 18 to 20 inch pizza may finally be realized. The two decks measure ~29X26 inches each so lots and lots of room - I might even try a 24 inch super pizza  :-D

It will take some time to clean it up and get it piped into the NG supply at my house - I'll post photos as I go just like I did with the Bakers Pride Compact Oven (M02T) rework here...

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50292.msg505792#msg505792

Just stumbled onto this thread, congratulations!  You just took a huge step.  Hopefully you worked things out with the grime and plumbing, look forward to your pizzamaking.