A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: First three pizzas on my Christmas present (Blackstone)  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
First three pizzas on my Christmas present (Blackstone)
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
I feel like I've read 5% of everyone's experiences on the blackstone.... so I've still got a ton to learn!   I fired mine up last night.

Pizzas:  I used same day dough of Nate's (pythonic's) Chicago Thin. 

1.   Ham/Pineapple.  Not a ton of toppings, not too heavy, thicker than I normally roll it out to be.   (I'm often going for Monical's thin... lol)   Stone wasn't too warm (550?) and it cooked great in about 90 seconds.  I do wish it would have been in 30 seconds longer, the center could have been done more.   

2.   #1 went well, why not go for broke?   I made a supreme (sausage, pepperoni, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, black olives).   Sausage was raw (thinking I might need to reconsider this in the blackstone?).   Added some Semolina flour to the bottom to help the delivery onto the stone.     Temp was MUCH higher because I was making the second pizza (10? minutes more of preheat time)....  I had bumped up the burner too.... The stone was over 700 degrees (that's where my infrared thermometer clocks out) when the pizza went in.   Bottom was done in what felt like an instant.  Don't know if that's the semolina flour catching fire or if the stone was just way too hot.   Top looked great, but the bottom was DONE.   Scraped off toppings so I could have the best pizza in a cup you've ever had.   Put the other pizza in a cup guy right out of business. 

3.  Back to basics.   Two toppings, stone was still pretty hot... Wish I could get more on the top than the bottom.   I'm wondering if the key is to keep the stone at 500'ish and then crank up the heat when the pie goes in?   

I realize I have lots to read, learn, and experiment with...  I just thought I'd leave my first experience....  I'm looking forward to getting it dialed in!   

Also, it was ZERO degrees outside.   I assembled it in my house and then took it outside... so the stone was already at 70 before it fired up.   From what I've read, I'm hoping everyone is right about it being OK going from super cold to hot! 

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: First three pizzas on my Christmas present (Blackstone)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
Looks like a good first attempt to me. If the floor is too hot, just turn the burner off but leave the turntable on and wait a few minutes. I bet you would have lost 50 degrees in 5 minutes at those outdoor temps.

The Blackstone is a great toy. My favorite Blackstone mod was reversing the direction of the turntable. If you are using batteries, just put them in backwards. With it rotating counter clockwise you get to see the crust as just as it heads into the hot zone.

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »
Reversing the batteries is a great idea....  I saw someone else do that..

I'm also wondering if I were to use my pizza screens at the beginning or end of the bake to slow down the dough-to-stone contact.   It'd also allow me to use a LOT less flour (I could taste how much I used) on the bottom.   I hate extra flour! 

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:39:30 AM »
I do wish I had a pic of the other two pizzas...  The first was the best (and the stone was the coldest).    Learning from my mistakes! :)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
Reversing the batteries is a great idea....  I saw someone else do that..

I'm also wondering if I were to use my pizza screens at the beginning or end of the bake to slow down the dough-to-stone contact.   It'd also allow me to use a LOT less flour (I could taste how much I used) on the bottom.   I hate extra flour!
I think the screen is more dependent on the style you are making. I don't use the Blackstone too much anymore but I was trying to get more if a wood fired pizza that I grew up eating. I kept the stone at around 620. If you have trouble keeping the stone at the temperature you like, a half dozen or so stainless steel washers (don't use galvanized or zinc coated) washers under the stone to make an air gap might help.

I use a sprinkle of rice flour on my wooden peel to help with the launch and minimize the bench flour I use when opening the dough.

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 03:03:25 PM »
Stone wasn't too warm (550?) and it cooked great in about 90 seconds.  I do wish it would have been in 30 seconds longer, the center could have been done more.

Boy, that sounds very strange to me.  I heat mine to about 600, and it cooks in 4 minutes.  I'd think that if anything, colder weather would require a longer bake.

Re: Very cold -> Very hot being an issue...  I'd have to wonder why.  In June, you're going from 70 up to 700 in 15 minutes (over 600 degree difference).  Why would an additional 60 degrees make any difference?
--pat--

Offline PizzaCrazy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »
I will second hat Jon said about the washers.  I had issues burning the bottom before cooking the top - put 3 large Stainless washers under the stone, it helped a lot.  I usually put the pizza in at about 575-625 degrees stone temp - you have to get used to the oven and work on knowing how to set the knob to keep a steady temp.  Another thing that you can try is using a screen - I make 16" pies with a screen - no way I can land a pie the same size as the stone without it.  Then you can always slide the screen out if the top cooks and you need a few more seconds for the bottom to brown.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »
  Stone wasn't too warm (550?) and it cooked great in about 90 seconds.  I do wish it would have been in 30 seconds longer, the center could have been done more.   

550 in 90 seconds - is your thermometer set for celsius?
Deb

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 02:29:06 PM »

Tried again last night...  Here are some things I learned in -15 degree weather:

1.  The motor and batteries were frozen.   I had to disconnect them and bring it inside for 30 minutes to warm up.   I'm afraid of what condensation might have formed in order to get it going.

2.  The Propane safety valve tripped.  So taking it apart to 'reset' it was fun.   

3.  I didn't start making pizzas until 9:00pm last night.... so when items #1 and #2 happened, it delayed pizza making until about 10:30, by which time it was too freaking cold to worry about stone temperature, internal temps, etc.   I just tried to get it hot and WENT with it.

Used the same dough I used for same day on Thursday... so it was 3-4 days old.....  Was looking forward to good flavor developed.

First pie (ham/pineapple) , outer crust burnt, but bottom didn't.    Stone clearly not hot enough.   

Second pie (supreme), better, but still not quite right.

third pie (ham/pineapple), better.... 

fourth pie(supreme), best yet, but I'm clearly still learning to regulate temperature.

Last pie was the square cut one. 

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
Should also mention I used pizza screens this time.   I think it'll be key with this dough moving forward... but stone has to be warmer and oven needs to be more saturated with heat.

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »
Tried again last night...  Here are some things I learned in -15 degree weather:

1.  The motor and batteries were frozen.   I had to disconnect them and bring it inside for 30 minutes to warm up.   I'm afraid of what condensation might have formed in order to get it going.

2.  The Propane safety valve tripped.  So taking it apart to 'reset' it was fun.   

3.  I didn't start making pizzas until 9:00pm last night.... so when items #1 and #2 happened, it delayed pizza making until about 10:30, by which time it was too freaking cold to worry about stone temperature, internal temps, etc.   I just tried to get it hot and WENT with it.

Used the same dough I used for same day on Thursday... so it was 3-4 days old.....  Was looking forward to good flavor developed.

First pie (ham/pineapple) , outer crust burnt, but bottom didn't.    Stone clearly not hot enough.   

Second pie (supreme), better, but still not quite right.

third pie (ham/pineapple), better.... 

fourth pie(supreme), best yet, but I'm clearly still learning to regulate temperature.

Last pie was the square cut one.

Propane is a PITA to use when the temps get real low. I switched over to wood for the remainder of the winter...I know you don't have that option so you may want to think about wrapping your tank and whatever exposed line you have.  If it gets real cold, you can put the tank in cooler full of warm water.  I am not familiar with your oven so none of this may be helpful...I am retiring in Wisconsin in a few years so I will be trying to figure this stuff out there too...

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »
I spent WAY too much of my evening googling "blackstone motor frozen" and "small propane flame in frozen temperatures". 

Turn off propane, disconnect line, reset red dial on Blackstone, re-attach... worked like a dream.

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
I spent WAY too much of my evening googling "blackstone motor frozen" and "small propane flame in frozen temperatures". 

Turn off propane, disconnect line, reset red dial on Blackstone, re-attach... worked like a dream.

Unfortunately, the line will usually re-freeze in super cold temps.  That's what pushed me to swap over to wood. 

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »
Ben,  I made some pizza on Sunday, it was 25 degrees,  and I find that unless the tank is completely full, to get a strong flame, it really helps to bring the tank into the house for several hours to warm it up, then bring it back out, hook it up and fire up the BS.  As you know, the pressure in the tank is what gets the burner going, and at very low temps, there is less pressure in the tank.  BTW,  look for an IR gun with a higher top end, especially if you like making neo style pizzas,  750 was the temp I used on Sunday and it was a great temp for the dough I was using. 

Offline Zymurgist

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »
Iíve had mine for close to a year and am starting to understand its sweet spot.

I do a pretty high hydration, 70%. Get the deck to about 800. Launch then crank it to full blast for 60 or so seconds.

This was one of tonightís pies.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
I made the Celsius Mistake once too.  Also the new blackstone motors have been reversed. 

Offline halveb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
I am in Wisconsin so I have similar temps but I do keep mine in an insulated garage (so likely 32-38 degrees) which will likely affect your experience.  What I have found is for the best cook I crank up the temp full blast for about 10 minutes before I cook then after launching the pie turn down so flame barely makes it up the wall.  I found that my tops were cooking way too fast and this is how I dealt with it.  Hope it helps and this is one venture that it is usually fun to eat the mistakes.  ;D