A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Eataly Los Angeles - Neapolitan pizza and more  (Read 811 times)

Offline jsaras

Eataly Los Angeles - Neapolitan pizza and more
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »
These are the photos that I took there today: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmd8z2VK  I've also attached three pictures here of some ingredients I found at their market, including stracciatella cheese that I've been trying to source for years.

The following is my Yelp review:

My wife and I arrived at 10:40 a.m., just before the lunch service began.  We arrived hungry and got in line for La Pizza, the pizzeria.  We started with the mozzarella plate with pistachio pesto, tomatoes and olives; very nice ($18).  We ordered a Neapolitan Massese pizza with spicy salami.  It was baked correctly, and the crew working the pizza station really knows what they are doing; a rarity.  At $18 it is overpriced, but it is good.    The arugula salad didn't have the red onions as listed on the menu and it was overpriced for $13.  We ordered a total of 4 glasses of Sangiovese wine at $12 each, which IS a bottle's worth of wine (which costs $42, but we were charged $48, ugh, but at least it was good).

The market has a lot of things to ogle.  If you're a foodie with an inclination towards things Italian, you'll lose your mind.  I've been trying to find stracciatella cheese for several years at countless cheese shops and I finally found it!  It'll be gracing the top of one of my pizzas sometime soon.  I also sourced some Mario Mulino flour that I'll be trying for some of my own Roman-style pizza. 

We'll have to return to try the Roman-style pizza alla palla and some gelato in the not too distant future.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hotsawce

Re: Eataly Los Angeles - Neapolitan pizza and more
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:48:43 PM »
They are so expensive, though...

PS: Just make the stracciatella from curd - so easy and saves a ton of money.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
The prices are exorbitant.  It set our personal record for the amount spent on a lunch, and then we went to the market.   If it weren't good, I'd be upset, but the food and service were great.  If we had arrived later and had to wait a long time for a table, etc., we'd probably feel a little differently as well. 

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 12:08:25 AM »
It takes a lot to get me to the one in NYC. I can do high prices or unruly crowds but not both  ;D

They do have some great stuff, however. Wonder if the selection is any different between locations? Or if they have the same market sections?

The prices are exorbitant.  It set our personal record for the amount spent on a lunch, and then we went to the market.   If it weren't good, I'd be upset, but the food and service were great.  If we had arrived later and had to wait a long time for a table, etc., we'd probably feel a little differently as well.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
The one is NYC is mayhem. Ill have to go on a hunt for some interesting flour next time I’m there.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »
These are the photos that I took there today: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmd8z2VK  I've also attached three pictures here of some ingredients I found at their market, including stracciatella cheese that I've been trying to source for years.

Great pictures
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline jsaras

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Great pictures

Thank you. My food/restaurant photography has earned me Yelp Elite status for three years running.  It's certainly not my writing skills.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:05:18 AM »
Thank you. My food/restaurant photography has earned me Yelp Elite status for three years running.  It's certainly not my writing skills.

I like the shot looking down at the prep table. I noticed the other day that one of your pics came up on the main yelp page for Bianco
Matt

Offline jsaras

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »
I noticed the other day that one of your pics came up on the main yelp page for Bianco

That's great!  I've wondered if my pictures only come up at the top of my Yelp feed because I'm viewing the restaurant on my own profile.   

Offline jsaras

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
My wife and I had the morning/afternoon off, so we went to Eataly for lunch.  These are the photos of the pizza alla pala.  As you can see, they do a good job of it.  I managed to score a bag of the flour they use to make it.  I was told that the hydration is 85% and the salt was at 3% (not sure if I believe the salt figure).  I also got some really good Calabrian chilis.   I added these and many more photos to the photo album linked at the top of this thread.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
more pics

wordpress