A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Local Starter question seems very active  (Read 234 times)

Offline pizzanapoletanacanada

• I Love Pizza!
Local Starter question seems very active
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
Hello everyone yesterday i though i would experiment with making a starter.

So i took a 1 litre mason jar, added 200 grams of wheat bread flour and 200 grams of warm water. Gave it a very good stire trying to incorporate air. The jar is just under half full of the mixture.
Covered with a cloth. Check back in a few hours and it has risen and has bubbles so i mix it up and let it sit for 24 hours.

Today at 5pm( 24 hours later) it is almost to the top of the jar. So again a mix it up and it deflates back down to the original size. I didnt discard any instead. I added 50 grams of robin hood bread flour and 50 grams of water. Mix it up.
Now about 4 hours later the cloth covering the jar is ballooned over the top and the starter is pushing itself through the cloth. I slowly unscrew the cap and pull the top off. Anyway I mixed it back up and it went back down to size it started. Took a spoonful and dropped it in a glass of water well it floats!

The jar has been at room temp the entire time.

Just would like to know what method i can use to keep this culture going. If i should feed it less or more? Should i continue with the bread flour? Should i be discarding as much as i put in. Maybe should I store it in my fridge?

Any help is welcome Im very excited to begin using this for bread and neapolitan pizza.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Local Starter question seems very active
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:50:26 PM »
Hello everyone yesterday i though i would experiment with making a starter.

So i took a 1 litre mason jar, added 200 grams of wheat bread flour and 200 grams of warm water. Gave it a very good stire trying to incorporate air. The jar is just under half full of the mixture.
Covered with a cloth. Check back in a few hours and it has risen and has bubbles so i mix it up and let it sit for 24 hours.

Today at 5pm( 24 hours later) it is almost to the top of the jar. So again a mix it up and it deflates back down to the original size. I didnt discard any instead. I added 50 grams of robin hood bread flour and 50 grams of water. Mix it up.
Now about 4 hours later the cloth covering the jar is ballooned over the top and the starter is pushing itself through the cloth. I slowly unscrew the cap and pull the top off. Anyway I mixed it back up and it went back down to size it started. Took a spoonful and dropped it in a glass of water well it floats!

The jar has been at room temp the entire time.

Just would like to know what method i can use to keep this culture going. If i should feed it less or more? Should i continue with the bread flour? Should i be discarding as much as i put in. Maybe should I store it in my fridge?

Any help is welcome Im very excited to begin using this for bread and neapolitan pizza.

First, only 48 hours from the beginning sounds way too early to have this kind of activity.  Maybe the starter is fine and maybe there is some undesirable bacteria in there.  Hard to know.  Time will tell.

Either way, I would suggest you keep feeding it once or twice a day for a full week or more to be sure it is healthy and stable.  Usually, along the way, it actually can smell pretty disgusting.  Then, you keep going and it turns the corner and starts smelling like a nice healthy starter. 

So, discard 1/2  - sounds like you have around 500 grams in there so dump out 250.  Then feed it 125 flour and 125 water to get it back to the same weight.  You may want to transfer it to a bigger jar if it is going to keep trying to overflow.

Different folks feed in different ways.  The 50% starter, 50% food (which is 50/50 flour water) I am suggesting is very typical. 

Good luck!

Again, different folks do different things, but most use plain old AP flour, not bread flour or anything fancy.

Once you are sure you have a healthy stable starter, then yes, you can put it in the fridge.  It will save you the work of feeding all the time, counter space, flour, etc.

But, know that the starter will go to sleep (very little activity) and start to very very slowly die of old age and lack of food.  No crisis.  Feed it once a week or so.  When you do feed it, it will probably take 2 or even 3 feedings to get it back up and running in a vibrant way.  Then, you can use it to make a dough.  And, put it back in the fridge.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:24:21 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

We hate math, says 4 in 10 a majority of Americans

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »
First, only 48 hours from the beginning sounds way too early to have this kind of activity.  Maybe the starter is fine and maybe there is some undesirable bacteria in there.  Hard to know.  Time will tell.

Either way, I would suggest you keep feeding it once or twice a day for a full week or more to be sure it is healthy and stable.  Usually, along the way, it actually can smell pretty disgusting.  Then, you keep going and it turns the corner and starts smelling like a nice health starter. 

So, discard 1/2  - sounds like you have around 500 grams in there so dump out 250.  Then feed it 125 flour and 125 water to get it back to the same weight.  You may want to transfer it to a bigger jar if it is going to keep trying to overflow.

Different folks feed in different ways.  The 50% starter, 50% food (which is 50/50 flour water) I am suggesting is very typical. 

Good luck!

Again, different folks do different things, but most use plain old AP flour, not bread flour or anything fancy.

Once you are sure you have a healthy stable starter, then yes, you can put it in the fridge.  It will save you the work of feeding all the time, counter space, flour, etc.

But, know that the starter will go to sleep (very little activity) and start to very very slowly die of old age and lack of food.  No crisis.  Feed it once a week or so.  When you do feed it, it will probably take 2 or even 3 feedings to get it back up and running in a vibrant way.  Then, you can use it to make a dough.  And, put it back in the fridge.
Yes its been less than 48 hours. It smells great I cant even describe it. Still smells like the flour but it smells almost nutty. Also noticed that when i put my fork in the jar to stir, it doesnt stick to the fork or the sides and bottom of the jar it all stays together.  Even though it is 100% hydration.

I cant wait to see what becomes of this starter seems very active so far lots of bubbles forming and lots of rise.

Thank you

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »
Ive never heard of a starter actually getting started well that quick. I would keep feeding it for a week the way Mitch described before using it in dough.

It needs to rise and fall consistently over that week and have a fruity, slightly acid smell. The nutty smell you described is not typical for a starter and to me sounds like it could be something else....

Just my 2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 10:21:41 PM »
Awesome! Glad I asked before going ahead to use it too soon. I will continue feeding and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T