A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Wisco 560, 900w coil top 800w bottom, worth it to swap them around?  (Read 515 times)

Offline john redcorn

• I Love Pizza!
I bought a used (it looked and smelled brand new) wisco 560 pizza oven a couple weeks ago, this model is recommended by manu for par-baked pizzas where the 560-5 is recommended by manu for fresh dough pizzas. I've been doing only fresh dough ones since I got it with pretty good results.

I was curious what the difference was between the 560 and 560-5 but every spec I was able to find with google made them seem exactly the same, I emailed the company and they said the only difference is the 560-5 has the coils config'ed oppositely, the 900w on bottom and 800 on top. They told me that people with the 560 like mine have been known to swap these around for the 560-5 configuration, more heat on the bottom and no additional hardware is needed, everything will mount up.

If I wanted better crisping of the bottoms of pizzas or less cooking of the top, looking at the math of this very simplistically I could have a 12% stronger coil on the bottom, if I very liberally estimated a 50% duty cycle I'd be giving the bottom maybe 6% more heat. Am I thinking of this the right way? If it is only 6% would that be worth my time to tear down/swap/reassemble? I'm doing American style on screens @600 for around 6-7mins.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:04:19 AM by john redcorn »

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Wisco 560, 900w coil top 800w bottom, worth it to swap them around?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
I have torn down and modded nearly every electric pizza oven I have owned, but I don't think it would be worth the time based on the small change.  It sounds like you are pretty happy with the results you are getting, and the change seems like it would not be worth the hassle.  OTOH,  I have been know to relocate the sensor that is hooked to the thermostat - sometimes they are placed so close to the element that they shut down before it hits the set temp. 

Offline john redcorn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
I think I may do it anyway going into it with the expectation that it may not change much, if there's something I like almost as much as eating pizza it's twisting screwdrivers and modding/making improvements on/"fixing" things lol.

Offline pepmusholiv

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »
I've got a 560-E, and have been thinking that a useful mod would be to add a pair of toggle switches that would allow separate control of the elements.  While it trades off with cooking time and would have to be fiddled with during cooking, it would allow some control of the top vs bottom energy distribution.

Something that I really dislike about the 560 is the need to pull out the rack for launching and the lack of a proper door, so I'm probably going to sell this and go with a WPO500 rather than mod the 560.

Offline john redcorn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »
I've got a 560-E, and have been thinking that a useful mod would be to add a pair of toggle switches

I got the case opened of the 560 last night and it's looking like more trouble than I want to deal with to swap 800/900w coils around for the little benefit it may have. For me, just a single toggle to maybe turn off the top for the 1st half or last half of cook time should be lots simpler and maybe have more effect than swapping the coils.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:11:10 AM by john redcorn »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress