A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: slaw on my pie?  (Read 335 times)

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
slaw on my pie?
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »
If you're from the Midwest, you may have seen some folks put coleslaw on their BBQ or sloppy joe sandwiches.  I love BBQ and once in a while I'll drop a dollope of slaw on to mellow out the spiciness of the sauce.

So I had thought. Has anyone done this with pizza. I'm sure it has been done, but I did not dig too deep into the forum to find anything. But I wanted to give it a try in which I was rewarded with a delicious pizza. So I'd like to share this with you.

Typical New York style crust, diced chicken breast, bacon, onion, Baby Rays Honey BBQ and Stubbs BBQ sauce.

I cooked the finely chopped bacon in a pan. When finished, I set the bacon on some paper towel to drain. I then cooked the chicken in the drippings left over from the bacon. When partial cooked, I added the chopped onions and the Baby Ray's to finish. I then returned the bacon back in to the skillet and stirred til coated by the sauce and then set aside. I normally keep par-baked skins in the freezer for my business, so it was easy to grab one.  I sauced up the skin with the Stubbs BBQ sauce which has a little smokiness to it compared to the sweet flavor of Baby Rays. Then we added the mozzarella and topped it with the BBQ Chicken. This alone is a great tasting pizza.

My wife makes our slaw with fresh ingredients and her own creamy dressing. I swear, it tastes the best when freshly shredded. But there is fine coleslaw at your local deli.

So here is the reward.  The piping hot, rich sweet/smokey, bacon, onions, chicken BBQ  topped pizza is taken to the next level with the cold creamy coleslaw. The creaminess mellows out the BBQ and the texture is a interesting. The chilled slaw also protects the top of you mouth from the burning cheese as you dive into your slice.  It's always fun and sometimes rewarding to think outside the "pizza" box. 

Cheers,
Tim
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: slaw on my pie?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »
I don't know that I remember ever seeing cabbage on a pizza here. Lots of Brussels sprouts, but no cabbage I can think of.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
I don't know that I remember ever seeing cabbage on a pizza here. Lots of Brussels sprouts, but no cabbage I can think of.

I do a pulled pork and red cabbage.  When I do events for the folks at work, this pie is my number one most requested by a large margin. 

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
I have put cole slaw, post bake of course, on a pizza with corned beef.  That is how I like my corned beef sandwiches - with cole slaw, but rye bread not pizza dough.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg370136#msg370136 (pictures 2 and 3).

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »
Tim,

The closest I have come to what you are doing was a Papa John's clone of one of their specialty pizzas featuring chicken, bacon, onions and BBQ sauce but no slaw:

Reply 35 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg60197#msg60197.

No doubt, slaw could be used with such a pizza. Slaw is a good addition to any diet and I am always on the lookout for ways to include it.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
Down here people put slaw on chilidogs.  They are called slawdogs.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
Thanks for the link Pete

Tim

The closest I have come to what you are doing was a Papa John's clone of one of their specialty pizzas featuring chicken, bacon, onions and BBQ sauce but no slaw:

Reply 35 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg60197#msg60197.

No doubt, slaw could be used with such a pizza. Slaw is a good addition to any diet and I am always on the lookout for ways to include it.

Peter
Throw me a slice, won't ya