A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits  (Read 5873 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2019, 07:38:32 PM »
Despite all my experiments, bakes and posts, some times when I buy a good slice, I suspect I know nothing...and need to start over.

Been to Rose's in Penn Station a bunch of times. Last time I was a little let down, but it was really on tonight.

It's right in my preference wheel house. The crust was thin. It was soft and chewy. Cooked enough,  but just barely. Right where I'd want it. Every time I try their slice I wonder about the difference that bromate makes. I dont want to get sucked into using it, but I may need to try it to find out.

Sauce was abundant. Sweet and flavorful.  I have no clue what they're doing.

Cheese tasted creamy.

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
Despite all my experiments, bakes and posts, some times when I buy a good slice, I suspect I know nothing...and need to start over.

Oh man, I can relate to this so much Matt, I've been thinking the exact same thing.

the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2019, 06:00:08 PM »
Thinking about it this morning, I want to try more sugar in the dough. Will go from 1% up to 3% to see what happens.

But I'm also wondering if I should lower my stone temp based on the color of the undercrust.

Matt

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
Thinking about it this morning, I want to try more sugar in the dough. Will go from 1% up to 3% to see what happens.

But I'm also wondering if I should lower my stone temp based on the color of the undercrust.
You may have something there.  Leopard Spots and not really going to that brown look indicates to me a lower temperature .   

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
Ive been to rosas a bunch of times, I wonder if they cater to the Long Island commuter which I think of as Queens with heavier cheese. I donít think too many places use 3 per cent sugar. Iíve tried 475f and found it chewy...almost too chewy but we like crispy.

I have a hard time going to Rosas with Suprema so close out of the 8th ave exit of penn but if I had a train to make, rosas would be my choice in penn.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:35:17 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2019, 02:19:48 PM »

Remember you will likely get much more browning with 3% sugar than 1% so you may want to try the lower temp/longer bake first or independent of the sugar change. As Iím sure you know and normally practice: when change(s) you make to formula or process change results, you want to be able to identify which change caused what result.
-Tony

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »
Remember you will likely get much more browning with 3% sugar than 1% so you may want to try the lower temp/longer bake first or independent of the sugar change. As Iím sure you know and normally practice: when change(s) you make to formula or process change results, you want to be able to identify which change caused what result.

great advice!

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »
Like last year, I was able to dedicate part of a day off around Thanksgiving to explore pizzerias. This time I focused on Queens.

My trip was focused on New Park as I've heard a lot about it (and many good things from people I tend to agree with). But I ended up going to 3 places.

"To each his own" comes to mind. I'm very surprised with my reaction to New Park.

New Park Pizza, Howard Beach Queens

As stated above, I've seen many good reviews of this place. I did read that you want slices "well done" and have seen some pictures of slices ranging from pale to charred. I got lucky (at least I thought I did) - a somewhat well done pie had just come out of the oven when I arrived.

For my tastes, however, I saw almost nothing positive about this slice, and I'd almost go so far as to say I disliked it. The crust was pretty good, it was thin and soft and had some char flavor. But aside from the char flavor, the only thing I tasted from the pizza was salt. I'll caution that I don't generally each a lot of salt...but, I had read a lot about the cheese being different here, and I didn't taste the cheese. I also heard there was a sweet sauce, but I didn't taste the sauce. It was basically a bland and salted slice on a pretty good crust. I imagine it's kind of like dumping salt onto a slice from Joe's. You'll see from the pictures, it looked really good...but it was a huge disappointment. Halfway through the slice I had my phone out planning out my next stop.

Lillian Pizzeria, Forest Hills Queens

I actually lived right by this place 15 years ago. I wasn't quite a pizza fanatic at the time, I would get slices every now and then, but also remember getting chicken rolls quite frequently.

This slice was very good. I tasted hard cheese, tomato, some herbs, and creamy mozz. A proper NY slice in my opinion. My slice was re-heated for about 20 seconds, though it seemed the slice had been sitting for a bit. Had this been a fresh slice it would've been even better.

I really liked this slice. Literally a corner slice shop, and doing what they're suppose to be doing. Nothing fancy, just solid flavors. I don't know that I'd suggest this as a destination slice or not, but again, a solid slice.

Gaby's Pizzeria, Hollis Queens

Last stop was Gaby's. I don't know too much about this place, but I had previously linked a video of them opening a doughball (using a lot of muscle) and using a mesh screen. I was interested in getting to try another mesh screen shop out, especially as this was in Queens rather than Long Island.

I was expecting a heavily topped slice, and I certainly received that. Though I was thinking that it may be a fine line between a delicious and juicy heavy-topped slice and a school cafeteria slice. This slice was highly questionable. It tasted a little better than it looks in the pictures, but not by much.

All that said, when did I get so picky and critical? Or maybe I just hit a couple places that were way off from my expectations. I'm glad I went to Lillian though as it was one bright spot.

*New Park pics
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:00:42 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2019, 07:59:07 PM »
Lillian Pizzeria, Forest Hills Queens - Very good slice
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:01:56 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2019, 07:59:20 PM »
Gaby's, Hollis Queens - yikes
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:03:24 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
    • Instagram
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »
I think a DiGiorno would have been better than that Gabby's slice.

I always enjoy reading your reviews by the way. In depth but straight to the point and always a good read.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2020, 03:36:06 PM »
Lucia Pizza - 3rd visit (1 year after my first 2 visits)

I called in a "large" pizza (18") when 15 minutes away by car. With my wife driving, I navigated the pie in the front seat, cutting slices in half and passing them to my kids. I don't think I've ever heard them this quiet while eating. Not a sound until "more pizza".

I still love this pie. The first thing I noticed (I think) was a bit of garlic. But perhaps I was looking for it.

But the real thing that stood out was creaminess. On top of whatever is in that sauce, and the tomato flavor, I kept tasting cream. Certainly driven by the mozz, which was melted but not pulverized. But I couldn't figure out if there was a hard cheese too. Either way, for my own pies I'm going to 1) experiment with different bakes to see what happens if I melt less, 2) see if I can find another mozz to try, 3) cheat and try adding a touch of cream to my sauce. I love what cream adds to pasta sauce, and while eating I was reminded of my wife's favorite (and now my daughter's favorite) pasta sauce which is a blend of 75% vodka sauce and 25% meat sauce.

The tomato has an underlying sweetness.

Could there be a bit of onion? Some fresh basil that soaks in the sauce then is removed?

When I tasted the sauce on its own, I did taste a tiny bit of pepper. I like the direction I'm going with cayenne.

My wife tasted it when it was significantly cooled. And this pie is better warm. Her comments were that this pizza is different. The cheese is different. It's not super sweet. It's not super salty....I said she's right, it's not super anything, except for a super blend of things in perfect harmony.

Matt