A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: difference between CF+RT, RT+CF and RT only  (Read 499 times)

Offline sallam

difference between CF+RT, RT+CF and RT only
« on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »
Greetings

When using a sourdough starter, some people retard their pizza dough bulk first then RT, others RT first then CF, and others ferment in RT all the way. I would like to know from those who tried some or all of those methods: what are the differences.. what are the advantages of each method?

I'm a home baker.

Offline bradtri

Re: difference between CF+RT, RT+CF and RT only
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
I asked this question to Joe Black and this was his reply:

Joe Black: So you understand the concept, Bill. Now multiply that by infinity, take that to the depths of forever, and you still barely have a glimpse of what I'm taking about.
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
what are the advantages of each method?

Amazingly, the answer is the same for all of them:

- retard their pizza dough bulk first then RT, others -> depends on who you ask.
- RT first then CF -> depends on who you ask.
- ferment in RT all the way -> depends on who you ask.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ct4640

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 12:35:16 AM »
how about what rt and cf mean in the first place lol. ???  i have seen those  abbreviations used in some threads and i looked in the pizza  glossary but haven't found out what it means. i've been reading up on trying Detroit style but no luck so far in trying to decipher the code. thx for any help

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:03:18 AM »
how about what rt and cf mean in the first place lol. ???  i have seen those  abbreviations used in some threads and i looked in the pizza  glossary but haven't found out what it means. i've been reading up on trying Detroit style but no luck so far in trying to decipher the code. thx for any help

Room Temperature [fermented]  and  Cold Fermented
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:20:19 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline ct4640

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 01:13:29 AM »
i should have  been able to figure that out. thank you very much

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 01:34:42 AM »
Greetings

When using a sourdough starter, some people retard their pizza dough bulk first then RT, others RT first then CF, and others ferment in RT all the way. I would like to know from those who tried some or all of those methods: what are the differences.. what are the advantages of each method?

Well, to me, the most obvious difference is between RTF vs CF.
All mixes between have so many possibilities that I can't tell the differences.

RTF is used for the genuine Neapolitan style as they are not allowed to make CF if they want the STG or DOC label. I always found the dough to be lighter than CF dough. For CF, I kind of agree on what I read from Varasano's : I can get better flavors (if we're talking about a 48 or 72H+ CF) than RTF (assuming you have the same dough recipe).

Would I do both RTF and CF, in this order ? Yes, only in order to make more space in my fridge; but for now, not for a special crust result. CF after a long RTF could be convenient to give the dough a couple more of hours of living.

That being said, I heard it was suggested to start a RTF, balled, for like 5H, then CF when using a press. I could get a blurry image of the answer to it, but as I didn't try enough I can't explain yet.
"Either you have reason, or result"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »
ct4640,

You might want to bookmark this thread:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.msg196875#msg196875

Peter

Offline ct4640

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »
 i've been doing rt and cf and didn't even know it. i haven't tried any preferment stuff yet but i  can make pizza my family loves thanks to this site but  anytime i think i know what I'm doing i read a few threads and see i am on the bottom rung of the ladder.  ty peter and to all who post here to help people make great pizza.