A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Almost new York :)  (Read 680 times)

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Almost new York :)
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:34:54 AM »
I'm in Boston today. Need advice on where to pick up a good pie? Any recommendations guys and gals? Thanks.

Offline CaptBob

Re: Almost new York :)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »
I'm in Boston today. Need advice on where to pick up a good pie? Any recommendations guys and gals? Thanks.

Stoked Wood Fired Pizza. Scottr  is a member here....
Bob

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
I hope we see you!   Stoked Wood Fired Pizza is in Brookline MA and only a few minutes from Boston proper.  Its in front of the Washington square green line t stop which is the C train.    My food truck is parked in Cambridge on the harvard campus today until 8pm, about a 5 minute walk from the harvard square T stop (red line).   The address there is 1 oxford st which is the address for the Harvard university science center.   

If you are near kendall square Area 4 is amazing.    Picco in the south end on tremont st. its great too.   I would avoid santaprios these days, but Pizzeria Regina (north end location only) is still great.   In copley square Eataly has excellent neapolitan pizza.  Thats inside the Prudential center which is pretty hard to miss since its the 2nd tallest building we have and right next to the tallest building we have.   

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:07:21 AM by scott r »

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:13:15 AM »
The issue with Santarpioís has always been the consistency, having said that Iíve been there twice in the past few months and it seemed that on those nights things were good.

Mastí downtown is a good Neapolitan and of course Stoked.

My favorite slice is Bianchiís at Revere Beach, not downtown but accessible by T.
Scott have you ever been to Bianchiís?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:16:10 AM by ebpizza »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:48:34 AM »
yes, of course, bianchi's is great.  That super tangy sauce is different and works well with the cheese blend.   Good call.   

It is interesting how in boston almost all the best places do not offer slices.   Ciao is another one of those, its neapolitan with a few liberties.  That one is really close to the airport.    We need some slice joints here!

Good to hear that santarpios has had some good days lately.    My last few trips were 2 years ago and prior and oh my was it bad.   Completely pale tough crust with so much bench flour on the pie I literally had flour all over my hands and shirt from eating it, and the predominate flavor was burned flour.   I did love it at one point and thought it was as close to new haven as we could get.

Oh thats another thing to mention... we have a Frank Pepe's here now too, which of course is great.   Its not accessible by the T, but not too far out of town.   

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
Last month. Lighting on this photo isnít great.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »
Sorry Scott we didn't stop by. My wife didn't want to travel any further on the subway than she had to. So we were at the aquarium with my little girl and we decided to just go to Regina's. Like a 10 minutes walk. Tbh? It was merely ok. They brought us the wrong pizzas twice. I own a restaurant so I know things can happen. But two times? The second time she left after throwing down the pizzas before we could tell her that isn't what we ordered. So we waited about 5 minutes. She still didn't come back so we started eating. I'm not fussy, so I thought? Why not? Get outside my box. :)

Lady comes over 10 minutes later and basically yells at us telling us we were eating someone else's pizza. I tell her sorry. I'm Canadian so we're like that. :) And she walks away. Another lady comes over says it's not our fault then takes the rest of the pizza away and gives us the correct pizzas.

The pizza? One was BLACK on the bottom. Not overcooked. BLACK. The other was pale on the bottom. Like not really cooked at all. Top was fine on both. Decent pizza. That's it. 6-7 out of 10 would be max. If ever in Boston again? I would never go back nor would I recommend it.

Wish my wife would have let me go over to the other side of the city to check out Scott's place! ;)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
No worries about not coming to Stoked, but thats such a bummer about Regina!    Thats actually the first time I have heard about quality control issues there, but it doesn't surprise me.  They have always been famous for the surly service.

Just in the short 4 years I have been hiring workers there has been a dramatic shift in the pool of people I can find to make pizza.   Its at the point now where I am getting 80 percent less applicants when I put out an ad for a pizza maker.   The people that do apply all seem to move from one job to another constantly.   I am perpetually training, and even people that have worked for me for a year or two drift in topping amounts and their willingness to look at the bottom of the pizzas to determine if they need to be moved or not.  I have become the Pizza Police, and I fear what it would be like if I wasn't always hopping around between the restaurant and the truck checking on the workers.

If you ever come to Boston again stick with Stoked or Area 4 and I think theres a much better chance of getting a good pie. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »
ebpizza, those santarpios pies do look good!

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 09:21:28 PM »
This thread reminded me to get to Bianchiís