A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chau is coming to NY pizza tour Part 2  (Read 19104 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Chau is coming to NY pizza tour Part 2
« Reply #380 on: August 05, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »
By over sauced I meant too much. The cheese slid a little and the crust/sauce/cheese balance was a little off compared to past visits. I was there at about noon. They were just getting going so the calzones and Zeppole we had were pretty much made to order. I may have to try making my own fried calzones. Last time I was in Whole Foods they had some Calabro ricotta. A little bit of ham and we're in business. But that could be a dangerous path to go down.

My d is home from college and made a fabulous ricotta this summer. She said it was easy and offered to show me how, but I had the same thought jon...slip sliding down the path to caloric hell.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2018, 12:07:48 PM »
My wife is on a special diet for a medical thing. No dairy for a few weeks. I'm going to have to try this when she is done. Been talking about it too much to let it go.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #382 on: August 12, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
It's been years since I've made a calzone.  What's inside, just toppings and cheese?   I'm assuming half Mozz half ricotta?   I'm also assuming one wouldn't want to cut slits in it if one was to deep fry it?   Thanks!

Chau

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »
The pizza town one looked like a maybe a 5 or 6 inch circle of dough. A slice of deli ham went on. Then an ice cream scoop of I'm guessing mostly ricotta with a little mozz mixed in went on the ham. I wouldnt guess 50/50. Maybe 80/20. The ham was wrapped around it the the dough was folded over and sealed. I wish I had paid closer attention. I had two kids and a dog there plus we were trying to be quick because this was just a pit stop on a trip. And I was probably already a little creepy with watching what they were doing.

Their sign used to be Scott123's avatar. I wonder if he would have some insight into their calzones.

My wife has another week of a low iodine (so no dairy) diet. I've been holding off making these because it would too mean to make them in front of her. Hopefully she gets her all clear on Friday. Got a frying system lined up though...

It's been years since I've made a calzone.  What's inside, just toppings and cheese?   I'm assuming half Mozz half ricotta?   I'm also assuming one wouldn't want to cut slits in it if one was to deep fry it?   Thanks!

Chau

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #384 on: August 13, 2018, 06:41:35 AM »

Chau

That's about right.  Drain the ricotta through a cheesecloth.
John

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #385 on: August 15, 2018, 10:41:54 PM »
That's about right.  Drain the ricotta through a cheesecloth.

Thank you.   Made my first (Pizzatown) fried calzone and it was fantastic.   Used one of my regular pizza doughballs so it turned out a bit big.   I'll reduce the size next time.  Stuffed with half ricotta, half mozz/cheddar mix, pepperoni,and roasted chopped green Chile. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:43:58 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #386 on: August 16, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
Itís awe inspiring that you can make something like that on your first try!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Hermit

• I make do with what I have
« Reply #387 on: August 16, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
 ^^^ Chau's got skills, seriously.  What temp did you have the oil at and how long of a fry?  Nice touch with the green chile.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #388 on: August 16, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  I put the calzone in at 350F.  The mozz inside was fairly cold.   This was a fairly large calzone and I'm guessing it cook for 5-6 minutes. 

Chau

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
Thank you.   Made my first (Pizzatown) fried calzone and it was fantastic.   Used one of my regular pizza doughballs so it turned out a bit big.   I'll reduce the size next time.  Stuffed with half ricotta, half mozz/cheddar mix, pepperoni,and roasted chopped green Chile.
OH, that brings back great memories of my late Father.  He would make FRIED pizza's he called them they were sooooooo good

Thanks for bringing back great memories  :D :D :D :D :D
Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #390 on: November 10, 2018, 01:26:13 AM »
Back to Mamas last weekend, still great but maybe less toppings on display. I hope they make it!

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #391 on: November 10, 2018, 04:12:13 AM »
One of my favorites of all the places we visited on this trip Jeff.  I would be a regular there if I was local.   For the members local or visiting, go show Frank some love and tell him Hi from the members of PM.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #392 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »
Is that Mamaís Too? My Dad just sent me this NYT article last night. Itís good.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/06/dining/mamas-too-review.html
-Tony

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #393 on: November 10, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
Back to Mamas last weekend, still great but maybe less toppings on display. I hope they make it!

Wow. I'd want to try a slice of each.
Matt

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #394 on: November 10, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
Is that Mamaís Too? My Dad just sent me this NYT article last night. Itís good.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/06/dining/mamas-too-review.html

Yes, that is them. They just got a starred review.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #395 on: November 10, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »
our apt is about a 10 min walk, we haven't been since the review but it's well out of the tourist zone. A trip to mamas too combined with a crispy slice at sal & carmines and an absolute bagel (or xian famous foods) makes for a nice mini food tour of the neighborhood.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #396 on: November 10, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »
That's a great write-up! After the tour Franco joined us here a few times on the board...he was a pleasure to meet and learn from. And I'm so pleased he's getting this nod from the Times. I was knocked out by the pizza...Just fantastic! The problem was that it was the first stop of the multi-pizza day...and I figured I'd better eat very lightly. For me, without a doubt, it was the highlight of the entire tour...and I'd call Razza and Lucali neck and neck for second place  :)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #397 on: November 11, 2018, 12:19:09 AM »
From the Mama's Too! social media today. Looks like some people read the review.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #398 on: November 11, 2018, 07:04:14 AM »
Wow! As it should be!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #399 on: November 17, 2018, 01:01:45 PM »
Just walked by mamas too, line out  the door!