A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chau is coming to NY pizza tour Part 2  (Read 14081 times)

bobgraff and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Re: Chau is coming to NY pizza tour Part 2
« Reply #400 on: November 17, 2018, 05:23:00 PM »
We were there first  :-D

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #401 on: December 24, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
Mamas was named one of the top 10 new restaurants of 2018 by nytimes  critic Pete Wells. Passed by on the way to a grocery store over the weekend, people standing in line in the cold for a slice. On the way back, around 2pm there was no line but no open seats, decided to grab a slice. By the time my slice was ready, a seat opened up but by the time I left the line had built out the door again.

There are now two people running the ovens and a cashier, looked to me like they were having trouble keeping up with demand. The cashier insisted I try some hot honey, which I think is something new for them, probably better on a less spicy slice. Also, I think there was more mozz than when we visited but still a wonderful slice!

didn't see franco, hopefully, he's off working on mamas three!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:38:22 PM by quietdesperation »
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #402 on: June 06, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »
after a long hiatus, back to mamas too last night for a slice. franco continues to innovate, I had a slice with large slices of hot soprasetta, over ricotta and a little tomato sauce, pretty sure I tasted some honey in there too. It was fabulous though I'm not sure he's getting quite the same rise and lightness in the crust. It was 8:30 pm, long line out the door by the time I left.

best,
A wondrous sweet

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #403 on: June 16, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »
It's been years since I've made a calzone.  What's inside, just toppings and cheese?   I'm assuming half Mozz half ricotta?   I'm also assuming one wouldn't want to cut slits in it if one was to deep fry it?   Thanks!

Chau

A good calzone is just a large crab rangoon without the crab.  When made right, heavenly when made wrong just awful.

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #404 on: June 16, 2019, 10:52:29 PM »
Thank you.   Made my first (Pizzatown) fried calzone and it was fantastic.   Used one of my regular pizza doughballs so it turned out a bit big.   I'll reduce the size next time.  Stuffed with half ricotta, half mozz/cheddar mix, pepperoni,and roasted chopped green Chile.

Actually an authentic calzone is 100% ricotta as the cheese with other ingredients to flavor.  JKB is correct, drained and dried. 
It should not taste like a pizza folded over.

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #405 on: June 16, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »
One of my favorites of all the places we visited on this trip Jeff.  I would be a regular there if I was local.   For the members local or visiting, go show Frank some love and tell him Hi from the members of PM.

Was the crust crunchy?

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #406 on: June 17, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
yes
A wondrous sweet

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #407 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
Was the crust crunchy?

Yes.  I believe the squares and slices are taken from the display case and quickly reheated in the oven after you order.  Reheats are typically crispy/crunchy.