A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chau is coming to NY pizza tour Part 2  (Read 15076 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: Chau is coming to NY pizza tour Part 2
« Reply #400 on: November 17, 2018, 05:23:00 PM »
We were there first  :-D

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #401 on: December 24, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
Mamas was named one of the top 10 new restaurants of 2018 by nytimes  critic Pete Wells. Passed by on the way to a grocery store over the weekend, people standing in line in the cold for a slice. On the way back, around 2pm there was no line but no open seats, decided to grab a slice. By the time my slice was ready, a seat opened up but by the time I left the line had built out the door again.

There are now two people running the ovens and a cashier, looked to me like they were having trouble keeping up with demand. The cashier insisted I try some hot honey, which I think is something new for them, probably better on a less spicy slice. Also, I think there was more mozz than when we visited but still a wonderful slice!

didn't see franco, hopefully, he's off working on mamas three!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:38:22 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #402 on: June 06, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »
after a long hiatus, back to mamas too last night for a slice. franco continues to innovate, I had a slice with large slices of hot soprasetta, over ricotta and a little tomato sauce, pretty sure I tasted some honey in there too. It was fabulous though I'm not sure he's getting quite the same rise and lightness in the crust. It was 8:30 pm, long line out the door by the time I left.

best,
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #403 on: June 16, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »
It's been years since I've made a calzone.  What's inside, just toppings and cheese?   I'm assuming half Mozz half ricotta?   I'm also assuming one wouldn't want to cut slits in it if one was to deep fry it?   Thanks!

Chau

A good calzone is just a large crab rangoon without the crab.  When made right, heavenly when made wrong just awful.

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #404 on: June 16, 2019, 10:52:29 PM »
Thank you.   Made my first (Pizzatown) fried calzone and it was fantastic.   Used one of my regular pizza doughballs so it turned out a bit big.   I'll reduce the size next time.  Stuffed with half ricotta, half mozz/cheddar mix, pepperoni,and roasted chopped green Chile.

Actually an authentic calzone is 100% ricotta as the cheese with other ingredients to flavor.  JKB is correct, drained and dried. 
It should not taste like a pizza folded over.

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #405 on: June 16, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »
One of my favorites of all the places we visited on this trip Jeff.  I would be a regular there if I was local.   For the members local or visiting, go show Frank some love and tell him Hi from the members of PM.

Was the crust crunchy?

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #406 on: June 17, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
yes

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #407 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
Was the crust crunchy?

Yes.  I believe the squares and slices are taken from the display case and quickly reheated in the oven after you order.  Reheats are typically crispy/crunchy.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• AndrewBellucci.com
« Reply #408 on: August 21, 2019, 07:44:33 PM »
Actually an authentic calzone is 100% ricotta as the cheese with other ingredients to flavor.

Interesting. I've been making and eating inauthentic calzones all my life then. Shame on me.

Authentic according to who?
Pie Man
201 OG

You don't bet on how the horse starts.
You bet on how the horse finishes.