A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 73242 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1440 on: December 12, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
Matt, I was trying to find some info on alternative Blackstone stones. I saw where you had one at one point, not sure if you still do. Have you ever tried your NY pies in the Blackstone?

I hardly use mine anymore, and don't make much for NY pies either. But I'm debating if it's worth it to order a CA Pizza Stone to fit in the Blackstone for the purpose of 16" NY pies....
I think the larger stone is a good option for you whisky.... As you know, the Blackstone is capable of various bake temperatures.  :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1441 on: December 13, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »
I think the larger stone is a good option for you whisky.... As you know, the Blackstone is capable of various bake temperatures.  :pizza:
You can make a 16 inch pie in a blackstone all day.  Why do you need a bigger stone?

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1442 on: December 13, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
Correct, the stock stone is 16.5. I wasn't sure if there was a benefit to ordering a better quality, thicker 16.5 stone.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1443 on: December 13, 2019, 05:51:20 PM »
Correct, the stock stone is 16.5. I wasn't sure if there was a benefit to ordering a better quality, thicker 16.5 stone.
Some believe the recovery rate will be less time between pies with a thicker stone.  I have not had that experience.  When I remove a pie a crank it up while I prepare the next one.  If you have a second pie ready to launch immediately maybe a thicker stone would be useful. 

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1444 on: December 13, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »
Matt, I was trying to find some info on alternative Blackstone stones. I saw where you had one at one point, not sure if you still do. Have you ever tried your NY pies in the Blackstone?

I hardly use mine anymore, and don't make much for NY pies either. But I'm debating if it's worth it to order a CA Pizza Stone to fit in the Blackstone for the purpose of 16" NY pies....

Yes, I used to make NY style in the Blackstone (though it was a while ago, so they were different than the ones I make now). Here's a link to one of them:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46482.msg489509#msg489509

At the time I moved my kitchen stone to the BS, it was and "Old Stone" from Amazon. I only used the stock stone a few times, but it didn't seem bad.

I'd suggest giving the BS a shot and use the stock stone. If you like the bakes but have concerns about the undercrust, you can always replace the stone. One word of caution, I remember the motor being somewhat weak, so a very heavy stone may be an issue.
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1445 on: December 13, 2019, 08:46:54 PM »
Matt, I searched to try and figure out what you're doing for sauce.  I see you were using 7/11, but that's way thicker than your sauce.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1446 on: December 13, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
Matt, I searched to try and figure out what you're doing for sauce.  I see you were using 7/11, but that's way thicker than your sauce.

Was wondering yesterday where you've been...what formula do you use with All Trumps?

For sauce I'm using Alta Cucina through a food mill using the fine plate.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1447 on: December 15, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »
Success! Made the same dough as the white pie last week, and no thin spots.

I brushed the top of the skin with oil (resulting in flour on the bottom, oil on the top like Lucia. Tom also said this helps preventing the sauce from seeping into the dough.)

This was a fresh loaf of grande whole milk (never frozen). The melt looked better in person, I really liked the look.

Dough out for 50 mins. 8:30 bake with final 1:00 direct on stone.

Now I'll go back to searching for a bit more flavor from the dough and sauce  :chef:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:19:46 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1448 on: December 16, 2019, 03:36:44 PM »
She's a beauty Matt... your diligence is certainly impressive!!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1449 on: December 17, 2019, 09:14:04 PM »
the last pic feels like you're feeding me the slice! I like the melt and the crust color you got here with a bit of a longer bake.

I wish you good luck in finding a bit more dough flavor. I am in the same boat.
One of my past pies had my ideal dough flavor and I haven't been able to get it the same ever since.

How are you liking the oil on top? Do you see a difference in end result vs putting sauce on un oiled?

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1450 on: December 22, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »

How are you liking the oil on top? Do you see a difference in end result vs putting sauce on un oiled?

Sorry for the delay. It's too early for me to say whether I notice a difference. But the idea is that it will reduce the gum line. It's interesting that these pizzerias can top a pie and just let it sit under the counter before going into the oven. I don't know how long they sit or at what temperature though.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1451 on: December 24, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »
Wow, found some extra flavor!

It's all about the sauce, but I'll start with the dough.
Tried 2 day CF with King Arthur. IDY reduced to 0.18%, and water reduced to 61%. It worked well. The stretch wasn't quite as good as the last 2 pies, but it could've been error on my part. There were some visible bubbles in the skin, but they didn't seem to have an impact. There was a bit of a rim ramp, and you can see the cheese was thicker towards the center of the pie. But overall, this was still a solid crust. The rim had more browning than the last 2 (1-day) bakes.

Sauce was cooked then sat 24 hours in the fridge. 1 clove of garlic sliced into 4 strips. 1/4 of the outer layer of a small white onion cut into 3 strips. These were added to 1.5 tsp of EVOO in a small pan. Then added my usual 1/2 tsp oregano. I kept adjusting the flame amount and took the pan on/off the burner (similar to how I cook eggs). Then came my usual tomato. Cooked for something like 12 minutes. Fresh basil added near the end. Then I fished out the garlic and onion.

There was a real burst of flavor from the sauce. The onion was definitely noticeable and added something. Next time I'm thinking about reducing the onion, and maybe reducing the garlic just a bit. I'd really like to try something HarryHaller73 mentioned before, which is to cook half the sauce, then after it cools add the other half of raw tomato. The sauce definitely wasn't as thin (or as bright) as usual.

Already looking forward to next bake.

Sauce and skin pics below, pizza pics in next post.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:09:51 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1452 on: December 24, 2019, 09:07:05 PM »
Pizza pics

Matt

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1453 on: December 25, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »
You're on to something Matt, never would of thought of that.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1454 on: January 01, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »
Loving these pizzas :pizza:

Dough was the same 2-day KASL.

Sauce was cooked again, but:
- only cooked half of tomato (with garlic, onion, oregano, EVOO)
- added the other half of raw tomato after the cooked sauce sat in the fridge overnight
- added the fresh basil an hour or two before bake
- slightly reduced the amount of onion (which is removed along with the garlic after the simmer)

The better stretch is giving me a consistent melt and flavor across the pie, and the cooked onion is really something.
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1455 on: January 01, 2020, 11:35:03 PM »
looks good matt! what led you to cook the sauce?
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline TravisNTexas

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1456 on: January 02, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
Just awesome Matt!!
Cheers,
Travis

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1457 on: January 02, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »
Thanks guys!

QD, I decided to try cooked sauce (again) based on my infatuation of Lucia Pizzeria in Flushing. Their sauce looks totally plain, yet there's something special going on with their flavor and I cant distinguish any specific ingredients.

I've been reading some previous discussion about cooked sauce and will post a few links on this thread in the next couple days.

Matt

Offline wb54885

• provare per credere
« Reply #1458 on: January 02, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »
Stoked that these pies are coming out so good for you. I bet these give the Queens guys a run for their money.

I didnít realize the KASL is also at 14.2% protein, as high as the All Trumps. Curious what youíve noticed about how they handle differently? Or is your yeast low enough that you think thatís making a bigger difference?

Iíve also been adding sugar to my cooked sauce recentlyóI didnít expect to like it as much as I do. Also keeping it covered while it simmers so i donít lose water to evaporation. Has your thickness/thinness changed since cooking the tomatoes?
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1459 on: January 02, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »
Stoked that these pies are coming out so good for you. I bet these give the Queens guys a run for their money.

I didnít realize the KASL is also at 14.2% protein, as high as the All Trumps. Curious what youíve noticed about how they handle differently? Or is your yeast low enough that you think thatís making a bigger difference?

Iíve also been adding sugar to my cooked sauce recentlyóI didnít expect to like it as much as I do. Also keeping it covered while it simmers so i donít lose water to evaporation. Has your thickness/thinness changed since cooking the tomatoes?

Many thanks! I dont know that I have enough experience to properly describe the differences between AT and KASL. But, I'll try. The KASL for me feels I guess you'd say stronger. It has just enough firmness to let me control the opening, rather than the dough and gravity working against me. And it seems to be less prone to thin spots, naturally opening evenly. Of course I'll note that these observations are for how I make my doughs, and that my issues with AT are likely a result of errors somewhere in my process.

I add a good amount of sugar to all my sauces (the day after the simmer for this sauce). I use 3/4 tsp for 1.25 cups sauce. I increased the amount to this not too long ago and really liked it.

Yes the thinness absolutely changed when I cooked it. This last bake of course the impact was smaller as only half of my tomato was cooked. This all said, the sauce is still thin smooth, and the melt and overall feel wasnt compromised. Maybe slightly less wet melt, but a more grease-like texture.  Possibly it was even an improvement. Also note that I use more EVOO when cooking. I'll keep in mind your idea of using a lid if necessary. More experiments needed!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:56:15 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

wordpress