A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 73303 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1520 on: January 29, 2020, 07:30:19 PM »
I don't see that anyone has posted this:

John

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1521 on: January 29, 2020, 08:55:55 PM »
I don't see that anyone has posted this:

Great vid, I really enjoy watching pizza operators prep.

This place has some sort of wood fired pizza, using All Trumps after switching from 00.

What surprised me most was the amount of garlic powder. Equal amounts salt, sugar and garlic in the sauce. (Though I haven't determined how much 4 heaping tablespoons for 2 #10 cans is.)
Matt

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1522 on: January 29, 2020, 08:57:01 PM »
Peter...you are the creme de la creme! :)

I try not to state the obvious Bill. I dont want it going to Peter's head  :-D
Matt

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1523 on: February 02, 2020, 10:15:14 AM »
It's amazing how fine a line determines whether a pizza is mindblowing versus mediocre. This was another very average bake.

2 problems: 1) bubbles impacted the melt 2) not enough herbs and garlic 2.5) possibly a bit under-sauced

I think the bubbles was from underfermentation. I've had trouble adjusting to the KABF these last few bakes and will go back to KASL next bake. This was 2 day CF, IDY 0.125%. Out of the fridge for 45 minutes before opening (which I've been doing successfully the last few months.)

I didnt have any fresh basil this week (I cant seem to get the grocery store basil to root this winter). And I didnt compensate by adding more oregano or other seasoning. I tried infusing oil with garlic and onion, not sure it worked. I liked these slices better when I put some garlic powder on top. But I still may experiment with infused oil in the future.

Next time will use KASL, do an uncooked sauce with garlic powder and enough herbs. I'll probably try somes shaved onion (a la Norm), but will go light on it.

Matt

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1524 on: February 06, 2020, 08:47:29 PM »
Ok, so far we have 3 different methods for applying fresh onion to a sauce:

2. DOP - marinate the sauce in the fridge overnight with pieces of onion that are later removed

I was actually thinking to try DOP's method last bake, but I got my tomato out too late, and it was still semi-frozen the night before. I'm definitely intrigued by this method.

I was thinking to add more onion and garlic in my next one since there is no pre cooking of the sauce to impart the flavor faster. My logic here is the more raw onion and garlic the more it will impart a flavor to the sauce before fishing it out. I tried the infusing oil and garlic method as well and didn't mind it, i used very low heat though and spent a while cooking then stopped just as the onion and garlic were beginning to slightly brown.. I did the same thing as the last few times by leaving the infused oil, chunks of garlic and onion in sauce overnight and fishing it out. Since the flavors are subtle I am thinking to increase the onion and garlic and see if it gives it an extra kick.

On another note regarding melt, my last half dozen or so  pies I have been hand tearing the cheese and or dicing it in small pieces but bigger than shredded and then leaving in freezer for 2 hours. The cheese always seems to cook faster than anything else in my oven and I have found that doing this slows down the melt and allows everything else to catch up. I might try 3 hours in freezer next time.

Just wondering if you have ever experimented with putting your shredded/ diced cheese in the freezer for some time and taken it out before dressing the pie?

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1525 on: February 09, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »

I was thinking to add more onion and garlic in my next one since there is no pre cooking of the sauce to impart the flavor faster. My logic here is the more raw onion and garlic the more it will impart a flavor to the sauce before fishing it out. I tried the infusing oil and garlic method as well and didn't mind it, i used very low heat though and spent a while cooking then stopped just as the onion and garlic were beginning to slightly brown.. I did the same thing as the last few times by leaving the infused oil, chunks of garlic and onion in sauce overnight and fishing it out. Since the flavors are subtle I am thinking to increase the onion and garlic and see if it gives it an extra kick.

You and I are thinking similar. Today I'm going to bake it with the raw onion in the sauce.

I'm still intrigued by the infused oil idea. I'm thinking I'd need alot of garlic, onion, basil and some red pepper in the oil. It will need to be really strong because I only use a half teaspoon of the oil. My attempt last week didn't result in enough flavor.

Matt

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1526 on: February 09, 2020, 02:23:20 PM »

On another note regarding melt, my last half dozen or so  pies I have been hand tearing the cheese and or dicing it in small pieces but bigger than shredded and then leaving in freezer for 2 hours. The cheese always seems to cook faster than anything else in my oven and I have found that doing this slows down the melt and allows everything else to catch up. I might try 3 hours in freezer next time.

Just wondering if you have ever experimented with putting your shredded/ diced cheese in the freezer for some time and taken it out before dressing the pie?

I haven't tried putting my cheese in the freezer pre-bake, but I have tried putting it in the fridge. My usual bake, I take the cheese from the fridge, grate it, then start opening the dough about 10 minutes later. The cheese is still a bit cool.

My use of the mesh screen is likely helping to slow down the melt. I also shred my cheese using a potato grater, and whatever I cant grate I dice, so my cheese chunks are bigger than a thin shred. There are so many additional variables too (oven temp, stone temp, distance from ceiling, sauce thinness etc).

Matt

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1527 on: February 09, 2020, 08:20:24 PM »
This was a good pie, not quite mind-blowing, but good.

Tried the microplaned onion, put into the sauce 10 minutes before bake. It was good, maybe use more? I put a heaping 1/4 tsp into 1.25 cup sauce.

The crust was a bit bland. Maybe because it was a one-day CF, or maybe it could use more salt.

I also think the crust is too thick. I've been coming to this conclusion the last several bakes (I couldn't adequately judge it until I started stretching it more even). Next time I'm going to reduce the dough weight.
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1528 on: February 09, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
Never a fan of onion in pizza sauce.  I tried the Hazan thing.  Didn't  like it.
John

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1529 on: February 10, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »
Never a fan of onion in pizza sauce.  I tried the Hazan thing.  Didn't  like it.

Yeah, I tried Hazan's sauce a couple years ago. I used half the amount of onion in the recipe and it still was way too oniony. But I think I like just a little bit of onion in the background.
Matt

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1530 on: February 11, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »
I had a slice of cheese an onion at a new local slice shop the other day.... They tossed onions on the flat top grill for a minute before placing them on the cheese slice and into pizza oven. It was real good... Really good!
24 inch pie slice....$3.50. 🤗
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1531 on: March 01, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »
Posting this a week late. Dropped the TF to 0.085 wasnt thin enough. But good pie.

Matt

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1532 on: March 01, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »
Really enjoyed this pie. A surprisingly big change was using a bit of microplaned fresh garlic. It was awesome. (Still had microplaned fresh onion too.)

I dropped the dough weight/TF down to 0.08. It was odd - the first slice was really thin (see floppy slice photo), but the rest were significantly thicker. I may use this weight again, or drop it just a bit next time.

This pie used Boars Head mozz as I was out of Grande. Good cheese. It's a bit harder than Grande and grated easier.

Matt

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1533 on: March 02, 2020, 10:16:54 PM »
You sure make great looking pizzas Matt!!  😎🍻🍕

One right after another.......
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1534 on: March 08, 2020, 08:45:05 PM »
Excellent pie. Really like the thinness.

Dough weight reduced again, down to 338 grams (TF = 0.0775).

Melt/grease was excellent. Microplaned fresh garlic and fresh onion again.

Nothing frozen. New can Alta Cucina, new loaf WM grande.

:chef:

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1535 on: March 08, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
Excellent pie. Really like the thinness.

Dough weight reduced again, down to 338 grams (TF = 0.0775).

Melt/grease was excellent. Microplaned fresh garlic and fresh onion again.

Nothing frozen. New can Alta Cucina, new loaf WM grande.

:chef:

Killin' it.
John

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1536 on: March 09, 2020, 09:20:22 PM »
Looks like a great pizza night, Matt. Sometimes I canít see all the little things you do but I can see this was well executed at every step.
-Tony

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1537 on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:05 PM »
matt, youíre getting into my territory with that tf. i really like .07
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1538 on: March 21, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »
Pie from last Sunday, again 338 grams/TF 0.0775. Really liked it.

I used one less tbs sauce given the reduced dough, seemed about right.

Afterward I was thinking I should try a little less seasoning in the sauce next bake...not sure, will see tomorrow when I put it together

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1539 on: March 21, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »
Been holed up.  A couple weeks without pizza.  Need cheese.

... and toilet paper...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:53:51 PM by jkb »
John

wordpress