A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 73302 times)

Offline nickyr

Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1700 on: July 24, 2020, 12:51:24 AM »
Matt, pursuant to some of our discussions (and others elsewhere on the forum) about the effect of heat "type" on the finished pie, I made my first pies in a proper wood-burning oven yesterday. It was a fun challenge to build and tend the fire, move it around to properly heat the whole oven, etc. The results were a revelation. The pie bubbled for a bit upon extraction from the oven and the crust (used All Trumps; 24-hr cold ferment) was just incredible: crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. They don't look perfect in the photos, but they were *incredible*. It really makes me want to get a dedicated pizza oven--ideally a Baker's Pride gas one.
Ooh beautiful!

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1701 on: August 16, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »
2 big changes last week:

1) used butter (3.2%) in my NY dough for the first time

The first time I ever baked with butter was a pan pie a few weeks ago with 6% in the dough. I really liked it, so decided to try it in my NY dough. I went with a pretty high number at 3.2% because I wanted to make sure I could see the effects. For one thing, it seems to have led to significantly more browning on the rim. I haven't had this type of browning since I reduced my fermentation. Overall I liked the crust and will do my next bake with butter as well.

2) put a very small amount of heavy cream into my sauce

At my recent (3rd) visit to Lucia Pizza in Queens, I noted how creamy the pizza tasted. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55305.msg635145#msg635145

While I attributed the creaminess to the mozz and melt (and amount of mozz used and potentially to some hard cheese), I thought a shortcut could be trying some cream in the sauce. (Other options are to mess with the melt and to try a different mozz.) My thinking here is that I like my cheese broken down and creating orange grease. But when that happens I loose the creaminess. So adding some cream could be a way to achieve both.

I added just 1 teaspoon of cream into my 1.25 cups sauce. It was enough to lighten the color a bit. The result was very tasty. Overall I really enjoyed this pie. But I have a different experiment planned for this week, so no cream.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:45:08 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1702 on: August 16, 2020, 04:25:44 PM »
Looks good. I use the microwave extraction method with olive oil, garlic and oregano them mix it with tomatoes and a touch of cream for a quick "vodka" sauce. My kids like a vodka sauce pie with some bacon on top.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #1703 on: August 20, 2020, 12:48:12 AM »
2 big changes last week:

The first time I ever baked with butter was a pan pie a few weeks ago with 6% in the dough. I really liked it, so decided to try it in my NY dough. I went with a pretty high number at 3.2% because I wanted to make sure I could see the effects. For one thing, it seems to have led to significantly more browning on the rim. I haven't had this type of browning since I reduced my fermentation. Overall I liked the crust and will do my next bake with butter as well.

At my recent (3rd) visit to Lucia Pizza in Queens, I noted how creamy the pizza tasted. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55305.msg635145#msg635145

While I attributed the creaminess to the mozz and melt (and amount of mozz used and potentially to some hard cheese), I thought a shortcut could be trying some cream in the sauce. (Other options are to mess with the melt and to try a different mozz.) My thinking here is that I like my cheese broken down and creating orange grease. But when that happens I loose the creaminess. So adding some cream could be a way to achieve both.

I added just 1 teaspoon of cream into my 1.25 cups sauce. It was enough to lighten the color a bit. The result was very tasty. Overall I really enjoyed this pie. But I have a different experiment planned for this week, so no cream.
Mmm so much dairy! Looks lovely

Offline Eager2Learn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1704 on: August 20, 2020, 10:25:02 AM »
2 big changes last week:

You are killing it man.  You really have that classic NY "look" dialed in.

Are you melting the butter?  Or just softened and adding it in?

How long was the ferment time on that?

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1705 on: August 21, 2020, 07:12:58 PM »
You are killing it man.  You really have that classic NY "look" dialed in.

Are you melting the butter?  Or just softened and adding it in?

How long was the ferment time on that?

Thanks!

Not melted, just room temp. (We started keeping butter at room temp, wow its good.)

This was my usual (for the last several months), 1 day fridge with 0.25% IDY. Warms up for 40 minutes, still cool when opening.

Matt

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1706 on: August 21, 2020, 07:15:58 PM »
Thanks!

Not melted, just room temp. (We started keeping butter at room temp, wow its good.)

This was my usual (for the last several months), 1 day fridge with 0.25% IDY. Warms up for 40 minutes, still cool when opening.

Check out a butter bell.  Makes keeping butter at room temp a cinch.  Except when you run out and you need butter for your bread. 

Offline nickyr

« Reply #1707 on: August 28, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »
Yessss finally made a NY style Iím really happy with. Quite close to your recipe. Sir Lancelot flour (the first pie) is a real winner. I know you used that at some point, donít recall what youíre using now.

One question for you: how do you avoid liquid pooling? My first pie was over fermented, so I had pools in different places like you used to. My second pie was pretty well fermented so the pool was just in the middle.

Thanks so much!

Online hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #1708 on: August 29, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »
Yessss finally made a NY style Iím really happy with. Quite close to your recipe. Sir Lancelot flour (the first pie) is a real winner. I know you used that at some point, donít recall what youíre using now.

One question for you: how do you avoid liquid pooling? My first pie was over fermented, so I had pools in different places like you used to. My second pie was pretty well fermented so the pool was just in the middle.

Thanks so much!

Looks great!

I do use KASL. I bought a 50lb bag at the start of the pandemic and will order another bag soon.

Pooling, as you alluded to, can be a result of thin spots. But even with a well-made dough, you can stretch the center too thin,  creating effectively one big thin spot.

My/others strategy to avoid this is to stay away from the center when opening the dough. Everything I do is focused on the edges. The center has a way of stretching itself (mainly gravity).

Also, its good to put a little less sauce and cheese at the center as there tends to be some movement of the toppings towards the middle during the bake, even with a good stretch.

Matt

Offline nickyr

« Reply #1709 on: August 29, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »
Looks great!

I do use KASL. I bought a 50lb bag at the start of the pandemic and will order another bag soon.

Pooling, as you alluded to, can be a result of thin spots. But even with a well-made dough, you can stretch the center too thin,  creating effectively one big thin spot.

My/others strategy to avoid this is to stay away from the center when opening the dough. Everything I do is focused on the edges. The center has a way of stretching itself (mainly gravity).

Also, its good to put a little less sauce and cheese at the center as there tends to be some movement of the toppings towards the middle during the bake, even with a good stretch.
Thanks, thatís super helpful!

Online PizzaManic

« Reply #1710 on: September 11, 2020, 04:42:03 PM »
2 big changes last week:

Butter in your Dough - wow  :o that's a significant change. I haven't made Pizza in forever but I've been substituting butter for oil in my pizza's for the last few times I did make since I don't like the taste oil gives the final pizza especially when it's reheated. I'm curious to know how did butter vs oil workout for your pizza in terms of texture and flavor of the crust?
Regards Mo

wordpress