A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 74303 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 06:31:00 PM »
Do they add anything in the Polly-O shreds?  Sometimes cheese brands will add cellulose powder to avoid caking.

The Polly-O does, yeah, isn't Grande the only pre-shredded without it?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 07:17:29 PM »

It's hard to prove that it's the only, but yeah, it doesnt have anything added.
Matt

HarryHaller73

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »

Not sure if they're the only ones.  Grande uses a special packing method for shredded cheese by pumping some sort of gas or air inside so the bag is inflated when you buy it.  This somehow prevents sticking.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 06:48:01 PM »
Interesting, did you try shedding blocks yourself? If you did, was there a difference in moisture when it melted?

I have a spiral mixer, so there is no attachment for a pelican head shredder. Me using pre-shredded is out of necessity, but I did have a lengthy talk with my Grande rep about my concerns about off the block vs. pre-shredded, and he basically said that Grande spent literally millions on a mega cheese shredder that is like beyond anything known in the pizza world, and that because they dont use caking agents and fill the bags with gas, the difference between the block and shredded is negligible, if at all. I'm not sure about moisture levels, but can attest that even pre-shredded Grande is a clumpy, oily, butterfat mess in the best way possible. The cheese is incredibly pure. He said they use 80lbs of milk to get 8lbs of cheese, and are one of few companies who doesnt touch the butterfat. A lot of companies remove portions of it and sell it. Grande does not.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
Not sure if they're the only ones.  Grande uses a special packing method for shredded cheese by pumping some sort of gas or air inside so the bag is inflated when you buy it.  This somehow prevents sticking.

They do a pretty good job with that, but it definitely still clumps and sticks, and im ok with it. I know I'm getting a pure product that way.

In fact, via my Grande rep himself, Grande is working on a new, low-moisture, fresh mozzarella, but they are having problems with it cause its too yellow, and most low-moisture fresh mozz is pure white, due to additives, etc. Was supposed to be on the market first quarter of 2018, but that time has come and gone. Im told Im first on the list in Pittsburgh to be notified when its done.  ;D

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »

Grande fills its bags with nitrogen gas to prevent clumping. And yes, they are the only ones, as far as I'm aware of, that use this technique. The bags also contain less than 2% oxygen to prevent spoilage, even though the FDA requires less than 5%.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
I'm getting close! I made 7 changes versus last bake, and almost all of them worked  :chef:

1. 50/50 whole milk/part skim mozz (vs my usual 100% wm)
2. lowered my stone 1 rack, away from the upper heating element (and towards the bottom element)
3. went back up to 480 oven
4. went back up to 55% water
5. took my dough out earlier again (2.5 hours before bake)
6. first time using my new mesh screen after it was seasoned by a pizzeria
7. tried Bianco DiNapoli whole peeled

8:30 bake at 480, 7 minutes on the mesh screen, stone temp 515.

The melt was really nice. It had grease, but also some white, and the cheese stretched. I attribute this to a combination of adding part-skim and lowering the stone in the oven.

The dough/undercrust was a huge improvement. I liked the 55% hydration, the seasoned screen worked well, and likely the lower stone placement was big here too.

It didn't quite hit the mark flavor-wise, but I'm nitpicking. The sauce was just ok. And probably not enough hard cheese. I really miss the parm I was getting at the pizzeria distributor. The Bianco tomatoes were pretty good, but I like Cento Certified better. I think the salt in the tomatoes led the pizza to be too salty.

Next time I plan to do everything the same, but mess with the sauce a bit.

Matt

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
Looks Great -  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
Grande fills its bags with nitrogen gas to prevent clumping. And yes, they are the only ones, as far as I'm aware of, that use this technique. The bags also contain less than 2% oxygen to prevent spoilage, even though the FDA requires less than 5%.

I used to make THC capsules.  It was in a sesame oil substrate and very susceptible to oxidation.  I had to retrofit the encapsulator from an air to mechanical ejection.  Positive pressure with nitrogen throughout the whole process.
John

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »
I'm getting close! I made 7 changes versus last bake, and almost all of them worked  :chef:

1. 50/50 whole milk/part skim mozz (vs my usual 100% wm)
2. lowered my stone 1 rack, away from the upper heating element (and towards the bottom element)
3. went back up to 480 oven
4. went back up to 55% water
5. took my dough out earlier again (2.5 hours before bake)
6. first time using my new mesh screen after it was seasoned by a pizzeria
7. tried Bianco DiNapoli whole peeled

8:30 bake at 480, 7 minutes on the mesh screen, stone temp 515.

The melt was really nice. It had grease, but also some white, and the cheese stretched. I attribute this to a combination of adding part-skim and lowering the stone in the oven.

The dough/undercrust was a huge improvement. I liked the 55% hydration, the seasoned screen worked well, and likely the lower stone placement was big here too.

It didn't quite hit the mark flavor-wise, but I'm nitpicking. The sauce was just ok. And probably not enough hard cheese. I really miss the parm I was getting at the pizzeria distributor. The Bianco tomatoes were pretty good, but I like Cento Certified better. I think the salt in the tomatoes led the pizza to be too salty.

Next time I plan to do everything the same, but mess with the sauce a bit.

very nice
Deb

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
Wow Matt, you are dialed in on that!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2018, 03:45:03 PM »
Textbook golden brown delicious undercrust right there. Nice pie Matt!

the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »
Same dough as last time, still a WM/PS blend, increased the oven temp to 500, 7:30 bake with 6:00 on the mesh.
Maybe could've done a little less on the stone, maybe a little less herbs.
Still need to improve my sauce overall, will go back to mixing different blends (7/11, Cento, Bonta).

But this pie was solid

Matt

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 09:21:32 PM »
Same dough as last time, still a WM/PS blend, increased the oven temp to 500, 7:30 bake with 6:00 on the mesh.
Still need to improve my sauce overall, will go back to mixing different blends (7/11, Cento, Bonta).

But this pie was solid

NYC in the house!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 08:43:17 AM »
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline GumbaWill

• Many paths lead to the same destination
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
It's hard to prove that it's the only, but yeah, it doesnt have anything added.

But this pie was solid
That is one really nice looking N.Y. style pie! What TF are you using, if you don't mind me asking.
 Is there any place a home baker in N.Y.C.  can buy Grande Mozzarella? My current choice is Garbani blocks.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2018, 12:06:55 PM »

But this pie was solid

You could open a shop in Flushing right now  ;D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2018, 01:11:56 PM »
Very nice!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »
Thanks all!

GumbaWill, my TF is currently 0.0975, which sounds high, but with only 55% water and 1.8% oil plus a heavy-handed dough opening, I get a fairly thin and chewy result. Note though that this last pie was stretched a little larger than intended.

I'll send you a PM regarding pizzeria supplies in the NYC area.
Matt

Offline GumbaWill

• Many paths lead to the same destination
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »
Thanks all!

GumbaWill, my TF is currently 0.0975, which sounds high, but with only 55% water and 1.8% oil plus a heavy-handed dough opening, I get a fairly thin and chewy result. Note though that this last pie was stretched a little larger than intended.

I'll send you a PM regarding pizzeria supplies in the NYC area.
Thanks! Your thickness, looks about perfect for what I like. I went up today from .08 / .085 to .09. We will see how that goes. Your pie looks exactly like what I am shooting for!