A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 74718 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »
Very nice pizza Matt  :chef:
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
This pie was only so-so, I think because of a combination of thicker/lack of sauce and too much dough.

Changes from last time:
    Sauce was 50% fully blended Cento SM, 50% 7/11 as is (compared to last few bakes with just the ultra-thin blended tomato). 3/4 cup still applied to pizza

Used east coast blend rather than mixing the WM and PS myself

Dough still TF of 0.0975, again I focused on edge stretching, and this time only slightly over-stretched to ~14.25''

No herbs on top of the sauce, but I did increase the amount in the sauce a bit.

No romano on top of sauce (but put a bit more in the sauce). No oil in the sauce either.

Added 2.75tsp of fresh parm-regg on top of sauce, which I was excited to finally use again, but it wasn't enough to taste.

Lowered oven temp to 490 from 500. Still 7:30 bake, but a bit less on the stone, and I missed the extra stone time.

Next time I may: add more sauce and/or use only 25% 7/11 or blend half the 7/11, lower the TF, add more parm

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:44:55 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »
One more note to self about the pizza above, my cheese was a bit colder than usual. I want to experiment more with cold cheese and see how it impacts the melt.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »
I didn't bake this week (went out to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary), but I wanted to post more details about my bake last weekend.

It was an unusual bake as I made a Greek pan pizza and a NY white pizza for Mother's Day weekend. Given my previous Greek pies were using a lot of oil in the dough, I decided to compromise and meet in the middle. Plus, I baked the Greek pie first and put the NY in immediately after, with a cooler stone.

Changes/unusual aspects:
55% water and 2.75% oil
TF lowered to 0.095, but I probably stretched it an extra inch, which implies 0.0825.
Stone temp was only 400, so I used oven temp of 460.
I got distracted a bit, and bake was just a bit long (more cheese browning than I want for this pie) at 10 minutes. Half was directly on the stone given the low temp.
I flattened the rim more than usual, and it was good.

The crust actually came out really good. I need to lower my TF. I may experiment with more oil again. I liked the edge stretch again, it was a pretty even slice. (The undercrust was rather good, but I don't think I'd regularly drop the stone temp down this far.) As far as the white flavor goes, I don't measure anything, and I seem to alternate between under and overtopping. This one could've used a bit more garlic and oil, still good though.

Matt

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
Nice NY pies, Matt!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline yangjingbang

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2018, 06:22:30 AM »
Yes, those look great, especially the white!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2018, 09:06:14 AM »
 ^^^ :drool:
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »
This pie was pretty good. I was starting to think that I was converting to liking my pizza hot, but this bake put a stop to that. As it cooled somewhat I really began to taste the tomato and the hard cheeses, it was so much better. Whenever I take a picture of a direct view of a half eaten slice, it means I'm really liking the flavor.

Changes made:
TF reduced to 0.0875. Stretched inconsistently, but it seemed a bit thin. Note that most of the crust was a lot thinner than it looks in the slice picture, where the thickness of the cheese makes the slice look thicker.

More sauce. Went again with the 50/50 blended Cento SM and unblended 7/11. Applied 3/4 cup plus 4-5 extra little amounts as I spread it on the skin. I also stretched the dough to a near perfect 14'', instead of overstretching, which resulted in more sauce per bite. This was a nice improvement. Still not sold on the chunkiness of 7/11. It has a nice flavor but changes the pie (versus a fully blended thin whole peeled tomato).

More herbs in sauce. Oregano increased to a bit less than 1.5 tsp for the 1.5 cups of sauce I made, and I also used a half cube of Dorot fresh/frozen basil from Trader Joes. With the increased sauce amount, I need to reduce the oregano a good bit. I couldn't taste the basil, but I'm optimistic on this product.

4 tsp romano in the sauce, none on top. 3 tsp parm on top of sauce and 1 tsp on top of the cheese. Still not sure where I want this.

Pre-shredded mozz was taken out of fridge just before opening dough, so it was somewhat cool.

490 degrees for 7:30, last minute direct on stone. 9+1/8 oz of 50/50 mozz.

Potential changes next time:
Raise the TF
Less oregano
More basil?
Experiment with romano and parm amounts and placement
Increase temp to 500

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:40:14 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
Looks spot on to me, Matt.  You are dialed in on NY pizza.  :chef:
Jeff

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
Wow nice pizza.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Looks spot on to me, Matt.  You are dialed in on NY pizza.  :chef:

^^^
Hans

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 10:24:43 PM »
^^^

^^^

I like your heavy hand with the sauce and cheese.  I like a good amount of basil as well as black pepper.  I've been omitting anchovy because it seemed to be muddying the sauce.  I've been liking stick blended 7/11 lately.
John

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »
Matt,

Great bake, time to open your own pizza restaurant! do you put flour on your screen before baking? and have you been moving the pie to a stone or is the entire bake on the screen?

thanks,
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2018, 06:49:45 PM »
Matt,

Great bake, time to open your own pizza restaurant! do you put flour on your screen before baking? and have you been moving the pie to a stone or is the entire bake on the screen?

thanks,

Thanks QD. No flour on screen, and no flour when opening the dough. I'm currently opening in oil only. The pizzeria manager I spoke to said the reason they use the screen is to enable them to use oil instead of flour.

Bake time is currently 6:30 on the mesh screen plus another 1:00 directly on the stone.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:52:26 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:56 PM »

^^^

I like your heavy hand with the sauce and cheese.  I like a good amount of basil as well as black pepper.  I've been omitting anchovy because it seemed to be muddying the sauce.  I've been liking stick blended 7/11 lately.

Thanks. I'm headed towards blending the 7/11 again. I seem to be going in circles.
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 09:32:42 PM »
Thanks. I'm headed towards blending the 7/11 again. I seem to be going in circles.

I don't go in circles. More like the random pattern of a squirrel trying to get out of the way of an approaching car.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2018, 08:07:46 PM »
This pie was awesome. Sauce flavor and sauce consistency makes a huge difference. Still not happy with my crust thinness though.

I increased the oven temp to 500 (from 490). Will stick here.

I've also been applying the cheese cool.

This time I put the 7/11 in the blender, along with Cento San Marzano, half each. The result is not as thin as Cento only because the 7/11 doesn't totally break down, but it seemed to be thin enough, while adding a more robust tomato flavor.

I reduced the amount of oregano significantly, while increasing basil and sugar. I did my usual large amount of romano in the sauce and parm on top of it. I really liked the sauce and overall flavor of the pie.

I increased the TF up to 0.09. It wasn't a perfectly consistent stretch, but its still thin compared to an average NY slice. (I actually had a slice today from a shop I hadn't tried before, and again it was much thicker than mine. Not only thicker, but heavier. I need to experiment with dough younger than 2 days...but 2 days fits my schedule really well.)

A couple months back I reduced my salt from 1.75% to 1.5% to reduce the sodium. I may need to try going back to 1.75%.

Next time:
Identical sauce? Maybe experiment with more sugar.
Increase the TF
Take the dough out to warm up a little later
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:09:52 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »
very nice!
Deb

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »
This pie was awesome. Sauce flavor and sauce consistency makes a huge difference. Still not happy with my crust thinness though.

I increased the oven temp to 500 (from 490). Will stick here.

I've also been applying the cheese cool.

This time I put the 7/11 in the blender, along with Cento San Marzano, half each. The result is not as thin as Cento only because the 7/11 doesn't totally break down, but it seemed to be thin enough, while adding a more robust tomato flavor.

I reduced the amount of oregano significantly, while increasing basil and sugar. I did my usual large amount of romano in the sauce and parm on top of it. I really liked the sauce and overall flavor of the pie.

I increased the TF up to 0.09. It wasn't a perfectly consistent stretch, but its still thin compared to an average NY slice. (I actually had a slice today from a shop I hadn't tried before, and again it was much thicker than mine. Not only thicker, but heavier. I need to experiment with dough younger than 2 days...but 2 days fits my schedule really well.)

A couple months back I reduced my salt from 1.75% to 1.5% to reduce the sodium. I may need to try going back to 1.75%.

Next time:
Identical sauce? Maybe experiment with more sugar.
Increase the TF
Take the dough out to warm up a little later

Loving that melt and undercrust Matt! Your NY style is looking great these days and your dedication clearly shows in the finished product  :)
I'm also pleased to hear I'm not the only one on the board STILL endlessly tinkering with my pizza sauce  :-D  :D
the proof is in the pizza