A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 15470 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2018, 05:20:20 AM »
^^^ looks great Matt!  How much sauce and cheese did this beauty have?

Thanks Hermit. My usual. 14" pie, TF 0.095, 3/4 cup thin sauce (crushed tomato pushed through a strainer), 9oz of 50/50 mozz.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:25:59 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #241 on: October 07, 2018, 05:22:45 AM »
Badass melt!!

I agree with you on the TF, I'm thinking of trying .11 to see how my slices taste more filling.

Thanks Ryan. So you're agreeing with my wife  ;)

I'll post more regarding TF later today.
Matt

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2018, 07:10:22 AM »
Matt, I'm just crusising through tyour thread and was looking at a sauced pie..so pretty by the way...Are you thinking your strained sauce with water at all? My Sclafani for example seems much thicker out of the can or buzzed..

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2018, 07:30:33 AM »
Matt, I'm just crusising through tyour thread and was looking at a sauced pie..so pretty by the way...Are you thinking your strained sauce with water at all? My Sclafani for example seems much thicker out of the can or buzzed..

Hey Jersey, no water to thin it. I do add 1/4 tsp EVOO to 1.25 cups of strained tomato, but that doesn't do too much. I actually tried Sclafani Crushed a few bakes ago. After straining it, it had my usual consistency. The strainer is key. I remember putting it in a blender previously, and it never became smooth.
Matt

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »
I like the idea of putting some good oil in the sauce - I would have to make two batches since my wife avoids oil but I'll bet it adds good flavor and a nice mouth feel - what brand do you like. I only use / buy CA Olive Ranch smooth and buttery - I have tried so many brands through the years and they can be so different. The COR buttery has never let me down...
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 825F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2018, 08:25:08 AM »
I like the idea of putting some good oil in the sauce - I would have to make two batches since my wife avoids oil but I'll bet it adds good flavor and a nice mouth feel - what brand do you like. I only use / buy CA Olive Ranch smooth and buttery - I have tried so many brands through the years and they can be so different. The COR buttery has never let me down...

I never really tried different oils. I'm not sure it would make a huge difference in the amount I'm using. I use Costco's signature organic (pic below), which I do like better than the Filippo Berio I had been using.

Matt

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #246 on: October 07, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »
Thanks Matt and Norm..that's the same oil I often use..really good and a great price

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #247 on: October 07, 2018, 11:00:51 PM »
For my tastes and preferences, this pie was basically perfect  :chef: 

No material changes from last week. Slightly less fresh basil in the sauce, and the leaf was cut into smaller pieces.

My wife had a couple slices for the first time in a while. She found the crust "too thin". (A native NYer saying my TF of 0.095 was thin. It really is thin though.) But she's also not used to my ratios of heavy sauce and cheese. Her loss!

I think the only thing left for me to do with this Queens style is increase the size to 16", which is the largest that will fit in my oven. (I may play with the TF just a bit too.)

Early evening bake this week meant some natural light helped improve the color in the photos (on my laptop atleast...The color looks bad on my phone. I just realized I didn't flip over to custom white balance too.)

Don't keep us hanging in suspense...how many tiny basil pieces did you take out in order to arrive at your current sauce verdict?  8)
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #248 on: October 08, 2018, 12:14:56 AM »

I'm with you guys. I never went 7 meals in a row, but at the start of college I had at least one slice a day for 37 consecutive days. I intentionally broke the streak because I wanted to stop counting. (Then went another 25-30 days.) The dining hall was really a thing of beauty..

Once a week for me now

Junior high we went to the pizzeria 5 days a week for lunch.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:18:10 AM by jkb »
John

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »
Thanks Matt and Norm..that's the same oil I often use..really good and a great price
Kirkland EVOO is bottled on the same line as Pompeian Oil.  The only imported oil blended in the USA.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »
I picked up a doughball from another local pizzeria to weigh it. Last time Pizzeria B's weighed 673 grams. This one from Pizzeria A weighed a whopping 798 grams! The corresponding TF for an 18" pie is 0.11. I am mindful of the previous comments that some pizzerias make slice pies that are 20" (in which case the TF would be 0.09). I don't think that's the case here, but I'm not 100% certain.

I'm not really a fan of their pizza, but they had one pie in the case that I couldn't take my eyes off of. I asked one of the guys if it was a vodka pie. A huge smile came to his face and he said "yeah, a vodka margherita". You can sort of get a sense of the thickness of the slice in the picture.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »
Slight increase in TF (0.09625/420 grams..and yes it was noticeable). I'm having a very difficult time deciding on my TF of choice. This thicker pie was definitely closer to a typical pizzeria - it had a more familiar chew and the ratios were more mainstream. And after a slice I wrote down that the increased TF was great. But...it loses a bit of the decadence that comes with the heavy sauce, heavy cheese, but thin crust pie. I'm splitting hairs, as both versions taste great to me  :chef:

Matt

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »
Back when I played a lot of golf, the differnece in weight between two golf clubs one swingweight apart was said to be equal to the weight of a paper dollar bill. In other words, a 5-iron with a swingweight of D5 was heavier than an identical 5-iron with a D4 swingweight by about as much as a dollar bill weighs.

So you have room to play with your TF; youíre qualified and entitled.
-Tony
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2018, 10:48:15 AM »
Wow look at that melt!!  :drool:

You're crushing it buddy!

Are you still doing straight milled 7/11's for sauce or are you adding any heavy components in?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2018, 11:02:52 AM »
Wow look at that melt!!  :drool:

You're crushing it buddy!

Are you still doing straight milled 7/11's for sauce or are you adding any heavy components in?

^^^ - sauce amount looks perfect too.....
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 825F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #255 on: October 14, 2018, 11:37:51 AM »
Matt this may be a stupid question but is this baked in your home oven?  You are in the zone, perfect stretch and melt!   Very inspiring  :drool: 

How much of that decadence did you feel was lost in the thicker slice?  I've been around 0.085TF but wanna try moving it up to see if I can maintain the bake on top.  The wife doesnt eat much pizza but likes the thicker slice.  I'm hoping to make a compromise but keep the bake and flavor profile of NY style.

Offline julius_sanders

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
Anyone knows which kind of Mozzarella they use on the vodka pie you can see on one of these fotos? I already saw that in videos where they cut this kind of cheese on the pizza, from the firmness it looked like low moisture but from the color it looks more like fresh Mozzarella?

Thanks!

btw: your pizza looks delicious :)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »
love your latest! I've settled back to .07 tf, something closer to ny elite than street slice. I really wish I could experiment more but btw travel and trying to keep the weight off, I've settled into a bake every 2-3 weeks.

matt, I tried the detroit pizza spot that hans reviewed, it was really good and not that far from penn...
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
love your latest! I've settled back to .07 tf, something closer to ny elite than street slice. I really wish I could experiment more but btw travel and trying to keep the weight off, I've settled into a bake every 2-3 weeks.

matt, I tried the detroit pizza spot that hans reviewed, it was really good and not that far from penn...

I've got a soft spot for a thin .07TF slice too but I always try to eat a whole pie when they are that thin!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »
Anyone knows which kind of Mozzarella they use on the vodka pie you can see on one of these fotos? I already saw that in videos where they cut this kind of cheese on the pizza, from the firmness it looked like low moisture but from the color it looks more like fresh Mozzarella?

Thanks!

btw: your pizza looks delicious :)

Ryan (inverted) has mentioned a kind of low moisture fresh mozz  for NY-Margheritas. Ryan, can you elaborate?
Matt

wordpress