A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 49675 times)

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1140 on: July 29, 2019, 11:53:05 PM »
Good ole Frank....

Beat me to it.  :-D  Completely preposterous but catchy.
-Tony

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1141 on: July 30, 2019, 12:01:16 AM »
Matt, I didnít realize you use oil to open your doughs. I can see it now in your photo above. Thanks for posting your video; people take a bit of a risk posting anything too personal or revealing here (or anywhere). It has always worked out fine for me here as Iím sure it will for you. You make a bella figura, which is a concept and trait I have become quite interested in over the past couple years.
-Tony

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1142 on: July 30, 2019, 05:19:29 AM »
Here's a video of me balling dough. I posted it previously, and no one saw major issues at the time. (Obviously my unusual use of a steak knife was pointed out.)

Note that in the video I cut away way too much dough, and added it back in several pieces. That doesn't happen anymore. I dont have to add dough back.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1143 on: August 02, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »
So here's a funny random coincidence.

Those of us that follow Queens style pizza here will likely be familiar with a video that was originally posted by Harry. In it, a fellow pizza enthusiast drives to 3 pizzerias in Queens (Amore, Lucia, New Park), and gives his review, talking about the sauce and characteristics of each slice. I've re-posted the video below.

Well, I walked into a barber shop earlier today, sat down in the waiting area, and who was sitting next to me? So random. Adam said that I was his first fan, as no one ever recognized him from the video before.

Anyway,  we ended up chatting for maybe 15 minutes about pizza. He still thinks it's all about the sauce. And credits a day spent on Scott's pizza tour a while back as really getting him into pizza. And btw, he happened to go to Amore last night  :)

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1144 on: August 04, 2019, 08:10:14 PM »
Good pie. Having a lot of oil on the board makes it hard to edge stretch and as a result some of the sauce and cheese slid towards the middle.

Tried onion powder in the sauce for the first time. I think I liked it, but will reduce the amount. Also put the romano on top of the sauce instead of into it, will try it again.

Next time:
More sugar (try 1/2 tsp)
More salt (1/16+1/32)
More romano (3 tsp on top of sauce)
Less onion (1/32)

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1145 on: August 04, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
Looks okay if you like pizza, I guess.  :-D
John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1146 on: August 04, 2019, 10:01:27 PM »
Good pie. Having a lot of oil on the board makes it hard to edge stretch and as a result some of the sauce and cheese slid towards the middle.

Tried onion powder in the sauce for the first time. I think I liked it, but will reduce the amount. Also put the romano on top of the sauce instead of into it, will try it again.

Next time:
More sugar (try 1/2 tsp)
More salt (1/16+1/32)
More romano (3 tsp on top of sauce)
Less onion (1/32)

Well daaayum Matt!!!   :drool:.    That is right up there with some of the best cheese/sauce meld on this forum.  8)

Sorry if I already asked but what cheese are you using there... Thank you.  Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1147 on: August 04, 2019, 10:13:27 PM »
matt, when I baked on a screen at my brothers, I was surprised by the textual difference as opposed to baking on steel. The screen crust was puffier/breadier and closer to something one would find at a nyc slice joint. Having said that, my wife and I prefer the crispness that steel offers. I'm guessing your screen/stone hybrid might achieve the best of both worlds.

I know I've mentioned my brother used to work at pizza shops and has made well over 10k pizzas. (actually, the number might be closer to 100k!).  He commented on how good the crust tasted. I attribute that to the same day, rt fermentation and the use of ldmp.

Wondering if you're using ldmp?

best,

ps I'm not sure what to say about your bakes anymore. Each one looks great and you've achieved amazing consistency. I always make at least one plain cheese pie every bake but then vary the other pie(s). Are you making more than one per bake? If so, is it always plain cheese?
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1148 on: August 04, 2019, 10:59:05 PM »
It's gettin' saucy in here!!  ;D
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1149 on: August 05, 2019, 08:18:53 AM »

Well daaayum Matt!!!   :drool:.    That is right up there with some of the best cheese/sauce meld on this forum.  8)

Sorry if I already asked but what cheese are you using there... Thank you.  Bob

Thanks Bob! The last several bakes have been Grande Whole Milk. Before that, I was using Grande 50/50 blend for a while.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1150 on: August 05, 2019, 08:22:42 AM »
QD, I've still never tried ldmp. Should add it to my list.

I personally dont like a very crisp pie, so the screen works well. And I can move it directly to the stone at various points in the bake if I want the pie a little more well done.

And I bake just one pie per bake...you see it all  :)

Matt

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #1151 on: August 05, 2019, 08:35:43 AM »
Nice work Matt, your pizza looks great -- I may try some onion powder next time! 

Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1152 on: August 11, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »
 :chef:

Changes made were:
- Sauce had more sugar, more salt, less onion powder, a bit of pepper.
- Used 1 tbs less sauce to account for the romano being on top of the sauce instead of in it.
- A bit more romano.

It was really good. The additional salt was right at the line for me, but it really brought everything together.

I continue to have an inconsistent stretch. The thin slices (where the orange grease was) were much better than the thicker slices (which were still rather good).

Matt

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1153 on: August 11, 2019, 08:57:55 PM »
I need to hurry up and make some low hydration dough and show you guys how i edge stretch. I want to shoot a video a video and upload it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:49:27 PM by Minolta Rokkor »
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1154 on: August 11, 2019, 09:27:22 PM »
:chef:

Changes made were:
- Sauce had more sugar, more salt, less onion powder, a bit of pepper.
- Used 1 tbs less sauce to account for the romano being on top of the sauce instead of in it.
- A bit more romano.

It was really good. The additional salt was right at the line for me, but it really brought everything together.

I continue to have an inconsistent stretch. The thin slices (where the orange grease was) were much better than the thicker slices (which were still rather good).

Pie looks great as usual!  :drool: - when was the last time you opened a dough with flour instead of oil? I used oil the other day for the first time in a while for my pan pizza and it would ironically stick to my hands and create thin spots from the tension.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1155 on: August 11, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »
Pie looks great as usual!  :drool: - when was the last time you opened a dough with flour instead of oil? I used oil the other day for the first time in a while for my pan pizza and it would ironically stick to my hands and create thin spots from the tension.

Thanks! It's been a while. I actually used less oil this time intentionally so that it would stick to the board helping me edge stretch. Maybe that's a bad approach. It's certainly atypical.
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1156 on: August 11, 2019, 10:16:38 PM »
Thanks! It's been a while. I actually used less oil this time intentionally so that it would stick to the board helping me edge stretch. Maybe that's a bad approach. It's certainly atypical.

That makes sense, I just remember it feeling kind of weird when I took it to the air for some knuckle stretching, like it wanted to stick to my knuckles, and I didn't feel like I had as much control over the dough compared to if it was opened in flour because it would want to stick to the counter when I set it back down.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1157 on: August 12, 2019, 12:04:19 AM »
. Check out Norma's friend... Frank..... He opens with oil.... Makes it look super simple.... Norma has a thread exclusive to her pizza pal Frank and his videos...😎
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline C6Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1158 on: August 16, 2019, 12:20:20 AM »
Ok, video fixed, here it is!

Love the video Matt but how do you get that on and off of a peel from there ? I could see myself making calzone out of that, not on purpose lol

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1159 on: August 16, 2019, 05:29:32 AM »
Love the video Matt but how do you get that on and off of a peel from there ? I could see myself making calzone out of that, not on purpose lol

Thanks! I'm using a screen so launch isn't an issue. The screen is well seasoned (was baked with just oil on it), so removal is fine too. One thing I didn't mention yet, but should be expected,  is that removing the pie from the screen has been very simple these past few bakes where I put a bit of flour underneath the crust.

I hope you have some good preseason pies planned. And go Giants  ;D

Matt