A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 44080 times)

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1240 on: October 06, 2019, 10:42:18 PM »
I'm actually not a big fan of acidic sauce. Maybe that explains my preference. Proceed according to your tastes  8)

Hah good to know!

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1241 on: October 06, 2019, 10:56:00 PM »
Thanks MR! I just blended the Cento whole peeled with an immersion blender and didnít notice the skin or seeds. Am I just not paying attention?
They're in there, but you wont notice it.

I used unprocessed 7/11's with great results, that's a chunky sauce, but thin sauce  through a strainer just hits the spot.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline exchicagogal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1242 on: October 12, 2019, 06:21:33 PM »
I made the dough formulation that was recommended (3% sugar) and I liked it quite a bit. I think it will be my go to for 14 inch NY pies. There still needs to be some improvements with my process (cheese, sauce, bake times) but overall I enjoyed the pie. 

I planned on doing a same day RT rise, however after 1.5 hours the dough balls had puffed up nicely so I put them in the fridge for 4-5 hours and then used them cold. The dough actually was a lot easier to handle cold and basically streched it self out. I still need to work on getting my pies uniform like Matt's.

I used turkey pepperoni to limit extra oil.

I picked up a loaf of Bella Rosano cheese at Costco and I'm curious to see how that compares to the Boar's Head. At only 1.97 a pound, it was a steal, hopefully it is good quality. I'll be trying the formula again next week.

Even though, it isn't perfect I can't believe I am able to make this level of pizza out of my home kitchen now, thanks for all the help! I'm excited to keep trying to see if my bakes can get as uniform as some of the ones I've seen on this thread.

P.S: It will take me couple of posts to post all the pictures because my phone makes the images so big..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:30:26 PM by exchicagogal »

Offline exchicagogal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1243 on: October 12, 2019, 06:22:44 PM »
Here's a few more....

Offline exchicagogal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1244 on: October 12, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
And finally......

Here's the crisper I used instead of the screen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000D8CAO/?tag=pmak-20

It worked fine.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1245 on: October 12, 2019, 11:07:56 PM »
Very nice exchicagogal! That pan worked very well indeed.

I'm curious, what was the doughball weight per pizza?
Matt

Offline exchicagogal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1246 on: October 13, 2019, 02:54:41 PM »
400 grams

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1247 on: Yesterday at 08:16:28 PM »
Tried experimenting to reduce my dough thin spots following posting to the dough doctor and some additional discussion.

It failed.

Tried 2 doughballs, #1 was the control, #2 was the major experiment. Both doughs were part of a double-batch mix, which was mixed for about half my recent usual time (6 minutes vs 12).

Dough ball #1 was fingertip stretched aggressively as usual. Then knuckle stretched. I could see the thin spots develop under my fingertips.

Dough ball #2 was very carefully rolled using a small rolling pin. Then knuckle stretched. While the rolling pin seemed to create a consistent thickness, as soon as I started knuckle stretching I saw the dough give way to "spiderwebs" where it was an intertwined mesh with thin spots.

As both doughs kept shrinking back on me, I may try opening them in flour next week instead of oil.

A bunch of pictures below, in chronological order.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1248 on: Yesterday at 08:16:45 PM »
And here was the resulting pizza (doughball #2). (Doughball #1 was made into a bread.)

As far as flavor, I have no idea because I temporarily messed with my taste buds (long story). Based on what I could tell, it seemed like a good pie.

Note that the slice shown was from 7 o'clock on the pie, and was an even rolling pin thickness. The thin spots were around 12-2 o'clock.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:39:42 PM by hammettjr »
Matt